Resistance during meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Jesse

Resistance during meditation

Post by Jesse »

Hello all,

I was curious about an experience I've had while meditating.

It appeared after my body had become completely relaxed, and could no longer be felt, I was having only minimal trouble focusing on my object of meditation, it was not terribly distracting itself, but was very interesting, enough to take note of..
There was this feeling of resistance, like the feeling of water pressure on your body when swimming. (without the water) However there was no physical sensation.. I don't know how to describe it because it was not felt in my body, nor in my head.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Resistance during meditation

Post by catmoon »

Need more information.

If you could describe your sitting experience up to the occurrence of this sensation, it might help to characterize it.

However, whether or not we figure out what it is, it should still be possible to treat it like the other sensations that arise during meditation, as clouds drifting across the sky, which will pass. The last thing you want is to become preoccuppied with it while sitting.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Jesse

Re: Resistance during meditation

Post by Jesse »

I usually sit normally in a chair, or lay down when meditating. I find it exceedingly difficult to meditate when my body is uncomfortable. I was laying down when this particular sensation was experienced.

I appreciate the reply, and I have come to agree with you, the experience was interesting but not very important, last night I had another strange thing occur while meditating. I have only recently began meditating again, it's been a few years at least, and I do not remember having so many strange sensations and experiences before.

I know I shouldn't be meditating just to experience altered states, but sometimes these states are quite cool.

Anyways, thanks again for your input, it's appreciated.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Return to “Meditation”