deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Mantrik

Re: deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.

Post by Mantrik » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 am

And to give perspective, over here in England our rulers are getting worried about................ air rifles.

And all because one, yes one, child died some time ago, and someone else was recently injured.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 am
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:22 pm
Well, I for one definitely want to take away all of their semi-automatic weapons. They can keep their single shots, flintlocks, and even winchesters.
What about their blunderbusses, should they be allowed to keep those? I mean they are pretty easily concealable tucked away in one's waistcoat, under their oilskin jacket.
:lol:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am

The Cicada wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:52 am
kirtu wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am
Come on Malcolm, that's not an answer. Why is the NRA's lobbying amongst the American people so successful?

Kirt
The same reason the Mexican Zapatistas in the Yucatan don't renounce violence.
The Zapatistas are people who have lost their way, just like the Chudes (čuđit, murderous marauders) of Sami lore.

Secondly, are you actually asserting that US society is fractured along multiple lines like Mexican society is?
We don't trust our elites.
Who is the we? And who are the elites? The libertarians and white supremacists lost the last election by nearly 3M votes but due to Electoral College shenanigans the American people elected the False Dmitry, a faux billionaire real estate magnate from NYC. Just what elite are you mistrusting?
The hemisphere was won for the West through bloody conflict.
And what does the physical genocide (1492-1890) and later cultural genocide of the people's in the Americas have to do with possession of guns at present?
We have a different history than Asian nations or Europe or Oz.
In what way? They also all have genocide in their history. Even recent history. Even Oz (since genocide is also cultural genocide and their attempt to "civilize" the Aboriginal people lasted into the 1970's).
And even though I hear that there are stands in Japan where items are left out untended and money is still given honestly for the items taken, I still have to wonder if the patrons aren't just afraid that Otoya Yamaguchi will jump out and sever their hands if they don't pay fairly.
:lol: See? Ghost stories can indeed have a positive effect sometimes.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 am

And here we bloody go again. This time 26 people shot dead in a church in Texas ranging in age from 5 years to 72 years and once more a semi-automatic assault rifle is involved and God forbid anyone mentions some form of gun control.
Prayers and merits to all concerned.
Namu Amida Butsu.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 am

shaunc wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:21 am
And here we bloody go again. This time 26 people shot dead in a church in Texas ranging in age from 5 years to 72 years and once more a semi-automatic assault rifle is involved and God forbid anyone mentions some form of gun control.
Prayers and merits to all concerned.
Namu Amida Butsu.
It's OK as according to NRA spokesman Trump the day was saved by other Texas residents armed to the teeth who shot the killer after he had stopped shooting people. So they need guns and guns are good. Perfect logic.

And now the the conspiracy theory that this happened just to distract people away from Trump's alleged Russian dealings.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 am

US President Donald Trump says the mass shooting in Texas that left at least 26 people dead was the result of a "mental health problem", not the country's gun laws, and labels the gunman "a very deranged individual".
:crazy:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-06/t ... em/9123900

:namaste:
Kim

muni

Post by muni » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Having the tendency to protect a self based on the tendency to see others as danger ( weapons). Others are bad, dangerous, I am good and protect. And so the solution = we shoot each other.

Well when no guns would be allowed and the money should be used for severe house/pocket control ( hiding weapons) instead of for the guns, then no one should can shoot. So all those losing their job due to the fall of weapon industry, please give them the job of controller. It can be a much more difficult job, but at least it saves lives instead of killing. Life is to awaken or to purify perception as far as possible. To stop suffering.
was the result of a "mental health problem"
Since not all Americans are enlightened, the mind can get crazy/confused all the time, triggered by this or that.

My heart is by all dear fellows.
Buddha said all is empty like my brain.
Let’s make a selfie!

Having meditated on love and compassion, I forgot the difference between myself and others. Yogi Milarepa.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:38 pm

23405900_10155549607161226_8323672621061025747_o.jpg
23405900_10155549607161226_8323672621061025747_o.jpg (134.12 KiB) Viewed 509 times
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:10 pm

kirtu wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am
And even though I hear that there are stands in Japan where items are left out untended and money is still given honestly for the items taken, I still have to wonder if the patrons aren't just afraid that Otoya Yamaguchi will jump out and sever their hands if they don't pay fairly.
I see these kinds of farm stands in the US. Not every place in this country is a Hobbesian vision of mayhem.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates the problems."
-Modest Mouse

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world!"
-The Grateful Dead

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:42 am
And now the the conspiracy theory that this happened just to distract people away from Trump's alleged Russian dealings.
He was Antifa, trying to go John Brown and trigger the civil war.
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

-The Grateful Dead

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 am
And to give perspective, over here in England our rulers are getting worried about................ air rifles.

And all because one, yes one, child died some time ago, and someone else was recently injured.
First world problems, Mantrik. US is Second World.
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

-The Grateful Dead

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 am
US President Donald Trump says the mass shooting in Texas that left at least 26 people dead was the result of a "mental health problem", not the country's gun laws, and labels the gunman "a very deranged individual".
:crazy:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-06/t ... em/9123900

:namaste:
Kim
Well, in this case, the fellow was denied a gun license by the state of Texas. So he got one on the black market.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:10 pm
kirtu wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am
I see these kinds of farm stands in the US. Not every place in this country is a Hobbesian vision of mayhem.

Yes, there is one of those kinds of farm stands everywhere in my town, and everywhere in my county. You want meat, you go up the street to get it from a freezer with no one standing around, you just leave your money. You want milk, same deal. Eggs, go for it. Maple syrup, you got it. And during the summer, everyone puts out their produce in unattended farm stands. But Kirt still refuses to move to Western Massachusetts because he seems to prefer the urban hell of the greater DC area.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm
Yes, there is one of those kinds of farm stands everywhere in my town, and everywhere in my county. You want meat, you go up the street to get it from a freezer with no one standing around, you just leave your money. You want milk, same deal. Eggs, go for it. Maple syrup, you got it. And during the summer, everyone puts out their produce in unattended farm stands. But Kirt still refuses to move to Western Massachusetts because he seems to prefer the urban hell of the greater DC area.
LOL. Kirt, you gotta get out of there, at least for a little bit and see how it can be. Life doesn't have to be an episode of the Wire.

The question is, how do we get Western Mass culture to metastasize and spread across the country? We need some stubborn yankees to pack their carpet bags and go spreading their ways.
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

-The Grateful Dead

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 pm

I've met people from saskatchewan farming communities who said they did not have locks on their doors for it would be unneighbourly .

what if i am away from the house and my neighbor needs some sugar or something...i can't lock them out from getting it...

first time i heard this i freaked out.
but thats all going the way of the dodo...

soon it will be "what you mean you don't have armed guards on both the front and the back doors ".

emaho

Post by emaho » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:50 pm

This is what Michael Moore just wrote on facebook:
Michael Moore @facebook wrote:Ok, after hearing the history of the Texas gunman, I finally get it. Before you can buy a gun in the USA, you first can beat your wife, then you can beat your child, then after you've served jail time for that, you can be court-martialed and dishonyorably discharged, and THEN, after all that, you can have an hour-long stand-off with police after clubbing your dog in the head - after which you are arrested for animal cruelty - and THEN AND ONLY THEN - you can go out a legally buy the assault weapon of your choice!
https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/ ... 3056856857
"Do yourself a favor and get out of Samsara!" Dudjom Rinpoche, Counsels From My Heart

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:26 pm

...When the world looks at the United States, it sees a land of exceptions: a time-tested if noisy democracy, a crusader in foreign policy, an exporter of beloved music and film.

But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America’s fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience so many mass shootings?

Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care under a health care system that draws frequent derision abroad.

These explanations share one thing in common: Though seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.

The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns. ...

After Britain had a mass shooting in 1987, the country instituted strict gun control laws. So did Australia after a 1996 shooting. But the United States has repeatedly faced the same calculus and determined that relatively unregulated gun ownership is worth the cost to society.
That choice, more than any statistic or regulation, is what most sets the United States apart.
The NY Times says so: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/worl ... ional.html

:thinking:
Kim

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Malcolm wrote:

Yes, there is one of those kinds of farm stands everywhere in my town, and everywhere in my county. You want meat, you go up the street to get it from a freezer with no one standing around, you just leave your money. You want milk, same deal. Eggs, go for it. Maple syrup, you got it. And during the summer, everyone puts out their produce in unattended farm stands.
I wish I could still get duck eggs locally. I used to work with a guy that kept ducks and I used to get eggs off of him. I really enjoyed the duck eggs becuse they are very substantial, heavy, and rich.

Virgo

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Virgo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 pm
Malcolm wrote:

Yes, there is one of those kinds of farm stands everywhere in my town, and everywhere in my county. You want meat, you go up the street to get it from a freezer with no one standing around, you just leave your money. You want milk, same deal. Eggs, go for it. Maple syrup, you got it. And during the summer, everyone puts out their produce in unattended farm stands.
I wish I could still get duck eggs locally. I used to work with a guy that kept ducks and I used to get eggs off of him. I really enjoyed the duck eggs becuse they are very substantial, heavy, and rich.

Virgo
I keep poultry as a hobby and as a kid my mother kept ducks. Duck eggs are the best ones for bakers. I've never eaten a duck egg except in cakes etc.