The Only Capitol of Israel

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
TharpaChodron

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by TharpaChodron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 am

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 am
Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse.
It is truly pathetic that Trump's foreign policy concerning Israel is being driven by his damn fool son-in-law for the Kushner Family's person gain...but what else do you expect from the Trump clan?

At this rate, it will take 100 hundred years to straighten out the mess Trump has made in the world in less than 1. Our world must be sorely be lacking in merit.
Ah yes, Kushner... whose own dad is a convicted felon. This "family" is a bunch of criminals. I don't know about taking 100 years to recover. Obama seemed to make huge advances that were quickly demolished in a millisecond. I still have hope in our ability to learn from mistakes.

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:52 am

oh my, have to agree with most above... except, I don't have any hope that we can learn from our mistakes because, for the deep state, there was no mistake. Isreal has recently fired missiles in Syria which were intercepted... this is dangerous enabling on the part of the US. tears in my eyes. Trump is the latest pawn. Obama was same if you look deep enough. I wanted to to like him, he was so likeable yet damage was done.Buckle up! Generations were lost with the USSR, it maybe our turn. If I have any hope at all, it is that the rest of the world will say no to the US. Then, we can start with rebuilding our infrastructure rather than another imperialist war.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 am

I lived in Jerusalem for 2 years during high school years, learned Hebrew, some Arabic. I could have sworn that when I rode my bicycle almost daily to the Old City where the holy sites are, that I passed by several embassies of various nations, but it turns out only Bolivia and Paraguay have embassies in Jerusalem right now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _Jerusalem

Or maybe it was the consulates that I saw passing by. Or perhaps there were more embassies at that time and since then have pulled them out and moved them back to Tel Aviv, though not sure.

The Knesset (parliament) is in Jerusalem, all national government offices are in Jerusalem; as far as Israel is concerned and how it runs, their capitol is Jerusalem, however, the Palestinians believe their capitol is Jerusalem too, thus, the controversy and conflict. Jerusalem has been the burning issue and single biggest item preventing peace between Israel and Palestine. Neither side is willing to give in and compromise in any way over the Jerusalem issue. The 1947 UN partition decision was very good with the proposed international zone covering Jerusalem-Bethlehem area, but unfortunately was rejected and in the war that ensued, the Israelis ended up taking it all.

So Trump's move is joining only 2 other nations out of all nations on earth; I hope violence does not erupt over this . . .

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:59 am

sadly, I'd say that violence is inevitable.... unless the world at large says no. I think this is a about more than real estate. It's enabling Isreal in dangerous ways.
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:40 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
When Trump gets kicked out of the office, how long until we go back to the way things were, or actually improve?
Until the first manifestation of Maitreya appears.
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am

Malcolm wrote:
It is truly pathetic that Trump's foreign policy concerning Israel is being driven by his damn fool son-in-law for the Kushner Family's person gain..
This was covered by the Economist -- seems Trump proposed this when he first took office, but the adults in his administration persuaded him it was a bad idea. Guess their voices are dwindling.

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 am

Kinda can't help myself but wonder what will go down in flames firts North Korea or Izrael?
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am
I am just hoping for the day when compassion for every single being will be expressed on DW either by words or holding back on personal digs. Criticism & analysis fine, just save the zingers - if possible.
That's right, post inflamatory nonsense and blame other people for reacting to the nonsense. Way to go Mr. Weeks!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 am
I lived in Jerusalem for 2 years during high school years, learned Hebrew, some Arabic. I could have sworn that when I rode my bicycle almost daily to the Old City where the holy sites are, that I passed by several embassies of various nations, but it turns out only Bolivia and Paraguay have embassies in Jerusalem right now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _Jerusalem

Or maybe it was the consulates that I saw passing by. Or perhaps there were more embassies at that time and since then have pulled them out and moved them back to Tel Aviv, though not sure.

The Knesset (parliament) is in Jerusalem, all national government offices are in Jerusalem (East Jerusalem); as far as Israel is concerned and how it runs, their capitol is Jerusalem, however, the Palestinians believe their capitol is Jerusalem too, thus, the controversy and conflict. Jerusalem has been the burning issue and single biggest item preventing peace between Israel and Palestine. Neither side is willing to give in and compromise in any way over the Jerusalem issue. The 1947 UN partition decision was very good with the proposed international zone covering Jerusalem-Bethlehem area, but unfortunately was rejected and in the war that ensued, the Israelis ended up taking it all.

So Trump's move is joining only 2 other nations out of all nations on earth; I hope violence does not erupt over this . . .
What people may find confusing is that AFAIK, it is mostly the Old City of Jerusalem (East Jerusalem) that is disputed, not the entire city. The embassies you mentioned above are not in the Old City, are they? Having an embassy in the disputed territory implies that you recognise its annexation, but having an embassy in the new parts of Jerusalem does not, if I am reading this correctly.

Now Israel has annexed the East Jerusalem which had been under Jordanian rule until 1967 (which it hasn't with the West Bank and Gaza) but even the Old City used to be partly negotiable, from memory. The US position had been pretty vague on it. Last decade or so, there's been a massive power imbalance and a lack of interest in continuing the peace process from the Israeli population, it seems. People appear to be used to the status quo and don't imagine that anything better is likely.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Lindama wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:52 am
Trump is the latest pawn.
The pawn of whom?
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm
That's right, post inflamatory nonsense and blame other people for reacting to the nonsense. Way to go Mr. Weeks!
Actually I am the reason the world is an excrement pie. Apologies. Normal service will be restored as soon as possible.
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Trump is so foolish that he only cares for what he thinks what will solidify his base, which is dwindling very quickly. Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse. When Trump gets kicked out of the office, how long until we go back to the way things were, or actually improve?
Who knows, but the sooner he is out, the better.

Kevin

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am
Malcolm wrote:
It is truly pathetic that Trump's foreign policy concerning Israel is being driven by his damn fool son-in-law for the Kushner Family's person gain..
This was covered by the Economist -- seems Trump proposed this when he first took office, but the adults in his administration persuaded him it was a bad idea. Guess their voices are dwindling.
Don't forget Sheldon Adelson and a crew of far-right religious leaders and donors. NYT reports it; here's a summary without the paywall

https://www.thedailybeast.com/report-ev ... salem-move

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am
I am just hoping for the day when compassion for every single being will be expressed on DW either by words or holding back on personal digs. Criticism & analysis fine, just save the zingers - if possible.
Ah yes, but he couched it in such neutral language...

Thanks for saying this Greg, so I don’t have to.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

justsit

Post by justsit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Headlines in today's Jerusalem Post:

Hamas leader Haniyeh calls for Intifada against Israel over Jerusalem status

>Dismay and dire warnings heard around Arab world

> Hamas says Trump’s Jerusalem decision 'opens the gates of hell'

Is Mr. Trump really trying to start a war? It's good for business, so maybe the answer is yes.

Which will go first, the Wailing Wall or the Church of the Holy Sepulchre?

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

justsit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 pm
I'm not following this story in the news, so I have no sage comments to offer, only a question - Why does Trump get to tell another country where their capital should be? I really don't get this. There's obviously a long game here - what is it?
Well, the "advantage" is that there will be war immediately - so the weapon industry will rejoice. They'll sell a lot, I guess, and make American rich people's purses great again.

(I'm upset about the stupidness of Trump and his voters. :crying: )
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Ayu wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm
....American rich people's purses great again.
Oh, there are plenty of German, French, English, Belgian, etc., arms dealers who will make lots of money for sure. Not to mention the Russians and the Chinese.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Ayu wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

(I'm upset about the stupidness of Trump and his voters. :crying: )
Well, just make sure AfG does not gain more seats, or you will be following us down the same road...
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

It's not stupid - at the very least (war or not) it is a distraction from his woes at home. Trump, for all his promises of focusing on the domestic agenda, has been busy using foreign issues as a great distraction - first that strike in Syria, then and now N Korea, and to add, Israel. I don't think he necessarily wants war, he wants to be seen to be making bold unorthodox moves. Catch people off-guard, cause a bit of havoc, smokescreen... As for the Military-Industrial Complex, I'm sure they've been whispering in his ear, as they always do.

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:17 pm

whoa, the article in the OP is written by a minister out of touch with what is happening.

and this, from Chris Hedges .... https://www.truthdig.com/articles/zero-hour-palestine/
Wednesday’s announcement by President Trump, who finds a soul mate in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, that he will move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem solidifies our status, along with Israel, as a rogue state and an international pariah. The United States long ago lost credibility as an honest broker in any Mideast peace agreement. We have provided $38 billion in military aid to Israel over the last decade despite Israel’s flagrant disregard for international law and its well-documented war crimes. We do nothing to halt the expropriation of Palestinian land. We give unequivocal support to Israeli attacks on Palestinians, including the bombardment of largely defenseless civilians in Gaza, that have left thousands of dead and destroyed whole neighborhoods.......(more)
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho