sexual harrassment & sexual assault in the US

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Ricky

Re: sexual harrassment & sexual assault in the US

Post by Ricky » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 am

MiphamFan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:12 am
I'm pretty sure I have above average testosterone. I gain muscle and strength very easily when I train at a caloric surplus. When I'm in a deficit I still maintain my strength.

I have never felt like a "drunk grizzly" who gropes women without permission.

Men who claim testosterone makes them do stuff like that are making excuses. So are drunks. I never behaved differently from normal when I drank alcohol.
I doubt it you've ever been truly drunk. When you lose all your inhibitions anything is possible and that includes behaving like a drunken grizzly who gropes women.

justsit

Post by justsit » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:03 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:15 am
...I don't have a question but I'll just say that I love and applaud your response. Your insight and experience is very much appreciated. I'm pretty sure you can see how privilege works both ways sometimes.
Thanks, Tharpa.

It's a bit of a puzzle, sometimes, trying to figure out what comments might be specific to my personal experience vs. trans persons in general. I know one transwoman who's out here on DW; no idea if there are others, men or women. Of course, I don't claim to speak for anyone else.

And yes, privilege can work both ways. I think a little more respect and kindness would be helpful. As a teacher once noted, we're all walking wounded.

Pero

Post by Pero » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Ricky wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:45 am
MiphamFan wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have above average testosterone. I gain muscle and strength very easily when I train at a caloric surplus. When I'm in a deficit I still maintain my strength.

Men who claim testosterone makes them do stuff like that are making excuses. So are drunks. I never behaved differently from normal when I drank alcohol.
I doubt it you've ever been truly drunk. When you lose all your inhibitions anything is possible and that includes behaving like a drunken grizzly who gropes women.
Yup.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Brunelleschi wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:22 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm
Moreover, the sexual revolution was not a revolution at all in terms of how women were treated. The "revolution," such as it was, was that men were able to have sex with women without major fear of pregnancy. But "sexual revolution" merely exposed how one sided things were for women. Thus, women, taking a clue from the civil rights movement, started the feminist movement. Sadly, Europe is still very backwards when it comes to women's rights. This is why Buddhist teachers who like assaulting women avoid the US.
1. I'm going to need a source on that.
2. You can't speak of "Europe" as if it were a country.
So I provided some statistics as to your claim. From what I can gather it's simply incorrect. :shrug:

Attitudes towards gender equality is essentially the same:
http://www.pewglobal.org/2010/07/01/gender-equality/

European nations more liberal on moral issues:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... al-issues/

The U.S. has a larger pay gap than most European countries.
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/05/united- ... eport.html
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... statistics

Plus differences in maternity leave etc.

MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am

Pero wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 pm
Ricky wrote:
MiphamFan wrote:

Yup.
I drank vodka, cider and 95% spirytus at a dinner before. Never behaved oddly, did feel nauseous when I got home but that was it.

Pero

Post by Pero » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm

MiphamFan wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am
Pero wrote:
Ricky wrote:

Yup.
I drank vodka, cider and 95% spirytus at a dinner before. Never behaved oddly, did feel nauseous when I got home but that was it.
My man it's not only what you drank, it's how much you drank and what your tolerance is. :smile:
Also not everyone reacts same way (some people just fall asleep), what you drink can have different effects (redbull vodka can have different effect than beer), and mood and circumstances have an influence on behaviour too.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Pero wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm
MiphamFan wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 am
Pero wrote:

Yup.
My man it's not only what you drank, it's how much you drank and what your tolerance is. :smile:
Also not everyone reacts same way (some people just fall asleep), what you drink can have different effects (redbull vodka can have different effect than beer), and mood and circumstances have an influence on behaviour too.
Agreed. Not to mention the setting is important too. Drank alcohol "at a dinner"... Doesn't sound very exciting to me.

Now, I don't drink anymore (in order to get intoxicated, like I used to a long time ago), but I grew up in north Norway... And I know how alcohol is treated in Nordic countries, as well as Eastern Europe, etc. And it's often not a pretty sight.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Ethnicity also plays a role in how much alcohol one can handle. I know Asians generally tend to have a very low tolerance.

Quay

Post by Quay » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 am

justsit wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:03 am
... I think a little more respect and kindness would be helpful. As a teacher once noted, we're all walking wounded.
Aye to both. The idea that some lives matter less (women, children, LGBTQ, someone of another religion, etc.) is pretty much what is wrong with the world. Respect and kindness towards all is the place to begin, and to recognize we're all the "walking wounded" with a lot of the same injuries but also some pretty specific and sometimes rare ones.

In the US I think the first step is to recognize women as people. Perhaps the passage of an updated Equal Rights Amendment would make it clear to everyone. Then on to sexual abuse of women, children, men, and addressing the Victorian nature of attitudes towards sexuality here. All enormous changes, but certainly possible. Samsara can't be fixed but it can be changed.
Bless me and all phantom beings like me
That we may extract the essence of the generation and perfection stages.

– Patrul Rinpoche, Words of My Perfect Teacher.