deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
TharpaChodron

Re: deadliest mass shooting in the U.S.

Post by TharpaChodron » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:53 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 pm
True..I have about as much knowledge of Australian culture as you do about American...
Sorry to inform you that you are 100% wrong.

Tell me what you know about the great Australian hero Ned Kelly. What about the Eureka stockade?

See out here in the rest of the world we get Amerikan culture and history rammed into our various orifices on a daily basis. It is a constant and inescapable onslaught. In Amerika, on the other hand...

Just because you are ignorant of what is happening in the rest of the world does not mean that the rest of us are ignorant about Amerika.

As for this:
American culture is too deeply entrenched with heroes, guns and violence going all the way back to the founding of this country.
Cultures change. What you call Amerikan culture right now was not Amerikan cultrue during the 60's, nor will it be Amerikan culture in another 50 years. If Amerikans wish to push their country in a positive direction they can, if they want to continue screwing the rest of the planet, they will. It is up to them to decide. It is quite obvious what you have decided. Luckily there are people out there that think otherwise.
and theres this guy who says otherwise as well...
I am not interested in listening to pessimists. As a Buddhist I know change is inevitable. That change can be for the better or for the worse. It is up to us to decide which it will be. I prefer to listen to the school kids that will be striking in order to make people in Washington understand. I am much more interested what the kids have to say. The will be shaping the future of the U$, not some jaded politician.
Please Grigoris, it's Amerikkka, get it straight. :mrgreen:

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am

I'm Australian and I'm not anti-gun but in all honesty a sporting shooter or hunter has no need for semi-automatic weapons.
When I used to go rabbiting I used a single shot Lithgow
.22 and the vast majority of professional 'roo shooters use bolt action rifles, usually chambered in .223.
My belief is that the gun laws in this country went too far however having said that the reality is that they worked.
The culture thing will be hard to overcome admittedly as unlike Americans, Australians never really considered guns as a form of self defense .
It's your country however and if you can't call the shots in your own backyard where do you get to call them.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:12 am

In case this hasn't come your way ...
Walk Out of School to Demand Safer Gun Laws

On March 14, 2018, a Wednesday, there will be a national school walkout for gun reform. It is being led by Women’s March Youth Empower, an initiative by the folks who organized the Women’s March. The call is for students, parents, teachers and allies to take part in the walkout for 17 minutes at 10 a.m. across every time zone.

Why should you walk out? Because screaming on Twitter isn’t enough. Because physical, bodies-on-the-streets motion has worked before. ...
https://offspring.lifehacker.com/walk-o ... 53578?IR=T
FB event page in case that's better - https://www.facebook.com/events/1767175080245694/

:namaste:
Kim

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 am

Grigoris wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Fa Dao wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:53 pm
True..I have about as much knowledge of Australian culture as you do about American...
Sorry to inform you that you are 100% wrong.

Tell me what you know about the great Australian hero Ned Kelly. What about the Eureka stockade?

See out here in the rest of the world we get Amerikan culture and history rammed into our various orifices on a daily basis. It is a constant and inescapable onslaught. In Amerika, on the other hand...

Just because you are ignorant of what is happening in the rest of the world does not mean that the rest of us are ignorant about Amerika.

As for this:
American culture is too deeply entrenched with heroes, guns and violence going all the way back to the founding of this country.
Cultures change. What you call Amerikan culture right now was not Amerikan cultrue during the 60's, nor will it be Amerikan culture in another 50 years. If Amerikans wish to push their country in a positive direction they can, if they want to continue screwing the rest of the planet, they will. It is up to them to decide. It is quite obvious what you have decided. Luckily there are people out there that think otherwise.
and theres this guy who says otherwise as well...
I am not interested in listening to pessimists. As a Buddhist I know change is inevitable. That change can be for the better or for the worse. It is up to us to decide which it will be. I prefer to listen to the school kids that will be striking in order to make people in Washington understand. I am much more interested what the kids have to say. The will be shaping the future of the U$, not some jaded politician.
yeah...nice try comrade..apparently you didn't read what I actually wrote...never said there couldn't be change, just that it would take a few generations of effort to change the dominant narrative...and as an aside, you might want to get that whole America hating/bashing thing looked at..dont think its healthy for you.. :rolling:
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 am

Fa Dao wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 am
yeah...nice try comrade..apparently you didn't read what I actually wrote...never said there couldn't be change, just that it would take a few generations of effort to change the dominant narrative...
It was not clear from your statement. It looked like you said that it was basically impossible to change Amerikan (gun) culture. Sorry if I misread it.
and as an aside, you might want to get that whole America hating/bashing thing looked at..dont think its healthy for you.. :rolling:
It is 100% healthy for me. Amerika needs to be called out for it's sh*tty foreign and domestic policy. If more Amerikans spoke out against it, then you would find that there would be a hell of lot less Amerikan hating out there in the rest of the world.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 am

I see on facebook that various individuals are starting to voluntarily hand in their assault rifles. People should be standing behind these personal initiatives.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

I don't think handing them in would work in the U.S. as I fear that they'd only end up being resold somewhere down the track, destroying them would be a better option.
Nice sentiment anyway.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 am

shaunc wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am
I don't think handing them in would work in the U.S. as I fear that they'd only end up being resold somewhere down the track, destroying them would be a better option.
Nice sentiment anyway.
Another one that did not watch the video... :roll:

The Oz government brought them and destroyed them.

I wish people would actually read threads, instead of just commenting.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:38 am

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 am
I see on facebook that various individuals are starting to voluntarily hand in their assault rifles. People should be standing behind these personal initiatives.
Some are destroying the guns themselves, to prevent them ever being used again - I quite understand a lack of trust that the police would actually destroy an intact weapon. I suppose they have to hand in the pieces to prove destruction, though.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

justsit

Post by justsit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm

The kids are going to march on Washington. Maybe someone will listen to them.

https://www.ravelry.com/forum-images/sy ... 47x-fr2kae

Pretty ironic - I just realized we have a shoot 'em up icon here. :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 am
Yeah, I saw a guy saw his AR-!5 in half this morning on CNN. The Republican congress has been feckless so far, so maybe they will do the right thing, but I would not place money on it.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pm

justsit wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm
The kids are going to march on Washington. Maybe someone will listen to them.

https://www.ravelry.com/forum-images/sy ... 47x-fr2kae

Pretty ironic - I just realized we have a shoot 'em up icon here. :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:
Depicting AR-15 assault rifles, no less.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 am
Amerika needs to be called out for it's sh*tty foreign and domestic policy. If more Amerikans spoke out against it, then you would find that there would be a hell of lot less Amerikan hating out there in the rest of the world.
yes!
:namaste:
linda

ps, my friend Shakti Das, the first and last activist, spells it with a K :tongue:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm

And then there's this:
A GOP Congressman Gave Trump a Literal Bag of Prayers After the School Shooting

Over the weekend, Rep. Mike Bost (R-IL) delivered a bagful of thoughts and prayers to Donald Trump, presumably as a response to the tragedy in Parkland, Florida.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -shooting/
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/consti ... -shooting/

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 am
shaunc wrote:
Nice sentiment anyway.

I can't see any link to a video, only a comment that you'd seen it on Facebook. Why on earth would the Australian government buy them. We're talking about semi-automatic weapons in the U.S. the Australian government bought their own people's weapons 20 odd years ago why would they want to buy the Americans weapons.
Incidentally quite a few of the firearms handed in all those years ago did find their way to the black market.
The buy back scheme did a lot of good but it wasn't perfect.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm

shaunc wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm
I can't see any link to a video, only a comment that you'd seen it on Facebook. Why on earth would the Australian government buy them. We're talking about semi-automatic weapons in the U.S. the Australian government bought their own people's weapons 20 odd years ago why would they want to buy the Americans weapons.
Incidentally quite a few of the firearms handed in all those years ago did find their way to the black market.
The buy back scheme did a lot of good but it wasn't perfect.
Calvins-facepalm.jpeg
Calvins-facepalm.jpeg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:47 pm

shaunc wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 am
shaunc wrote:
Nice sentiment anyway.

I can't see any link to a video
You can see three video links if you go back a page, they are clearly visible for all to see. And they are well worth watching.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:16 am

Replacing the letter c with k in the first letter of a word came into use by the Ku Klux Klan during its early years in the mid-to-late 19th century. The concept is continued today within the group.

In the 1960s and early 1970s in the United States, leftists, particularly the Yippies, sometimes used Amerika rather than America in referring to the United States. It is still used as a political statement today. It is likely that this was originally an allusion to the German spelling of the word, and intended to be suggestive of Nazism, a hypothesis that the Oxford English Dictionary supports.
And: http://www.yourdictionary.com/amerika

Other variants also intended to be insults like the above are U$ and U$A instead of US and USA.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am
There's also this spelling:

https://www.theonion.com/united-states- ... 1819564308
There's a difference between an article from The Onion though, and that of a persistent use of slurs/insults towards a country and its citizens. One is intended to be humor, the other is really pointless and just petty.

Return to “News & Current Events”