US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Mantrik

Re: US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:12 pm

yagmort wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:06 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:52 pm
...spouting the words of the Russian troll factories...
you do realise that the whole "russian troll factories" can very well might be just as brainwashing as you think Ickes ideas can be, don't you? did you see the "Sinclair's script for stations" video? Please watch it and ask yourself how is that possible if they are not controlled and obeyed to deliver the same script? did you see Eva Bartlett's report? no need to answer and confront me, i just ask you to please think again and merely was just trying to provide some food for thought.

here s another one:
US journalist Pearson Sharp reports from Douma hospital
Pearson Sharp to OAN: No sign of a chemical attack at the Douma hospital where White Helmets filmed their video.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uCzjV_1524322998

and once again - who is advocating war?
A basic understanding of journalists would tell you that they are generally grateful for a news release or Reuters script to read. When I was writing, a piece would be syndicated to loads of media outlets, and believe me my stuff was incredibly boring - you know, the latest truck tachograph system etc. Given some meaty news, of course they all grab it and if it seems OK they don't rewrite it. No conspiracy, just idleness.
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:55 pm
All your "fact" digging does is try and poison the well further.

Are any of the facts reported by the website I posted false?

Is it false that Freedom House was instrumental in Dewey's creation of SUNY?

Is it false that Bayard Rustin was chairmen of Freedom House?

Is it false that Roy WIlkins was part of Freedom House?

Is it false that Freedom House was against isolationism and America First?

Is it false that Freedom House was opposed to McCarthyism?

If none of these facts are false, than Richard Berman's CORE is complete irrelevant to them. They are basically lifted from this Wiki page which also contains criticisms of the organization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_House

As a 501(c)3 in the US, their books are completely open to public scrutiny. A large percentage of their funding comes from the US State Department. This, for me, is no problem. Since they are grounded in an anti-communist perspective, for you they will be a big problem.
No, not all the facts are from the wiki page, some of them are cited on the page though. The other entries were directly from the sites themselves.

I fail to see how bringing up verifiable facts is "poisoning the well", unless you somehow think that following the trail of money and influence is not important.

Another example: You state that the BBC is a reputable source. The BBC is funded by the UK state. It's executive board reads like a pedigree of English political and economic inbred nepotism. And yet you believe that an organisation like this is capable of objectively reporting facts and does not fall prey to political and economic pressure to "inform" people in a particular manner.

Of course you will now turn to your favorite pastime of lauding the U$ system based on your fetishisation of the constitution and completely overlooking the power and influence of financial and political monopoly on editorial decisions.

That is your prerogative, of course.

My opinion is that there is no such thing as independent and objective large scale (or mainstream) media. It's a fantasy.

Unfortunately many small scale independent media outlets tend to fall prey to their own political bias.

As I said in the beginning: it is just comes down to choosing who's lies (or half truths) we choose to believe.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm

In closing, and hopefully to pull the thread back on track: I actually don't doubt that Assad's forces used chemical weapons in Douma, what I doubt is the stated motivation of "the allies" for bombing Syria. This is what I severely doubt.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 pm

yagmort wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:06 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:52 pm
...spouting the words of the Russian troll factories...
you do realise that the whole "russian troll factories" can very well might be just as brainwashing as you think Ickes ideas can be, don't you? did you see the "Sinclair's script for stations" video? Please watch it and ask yourself how is that possible if they are not controlled and obeyed to deliver the same script? did you see Eva Bartlett's report? no need to answer and confront me, i just ask you and everyone else - please, re-think what do you know and who provide you the information.

here s another one:
US journalist Pearson Sharp reports from Douma hospital
Pearson Sharp to OAN: No sign of a chemical attack at the Douma hospital where White Helmets filmed their video.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uCzjV_1524322998

and once again - who is advocating war?
OAN is a very fine purveyor of lies and fake news. Bat shit crazy, Pro-Trump, right wing media onanism at its finest.

This is not journalism. Pity you believe this shite.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I fail to see how bringing up verifiable facts is "poisoning the well", unless you somehow think that following the trail of money and influence is not important.
The facts you brought up were germaine to CORE only, not to Freedom House.
Another example: You state that the BBC is a reputable source. The BBC is funded by the UK state. It's executive board reads like a pedigree of English political and economic inbred nepotism. And yet you believe that an organisation like this is capable of objectively reporting facts and does not fall prey to political and economic pressure to "inform" people in a particular manner.
Journalism is a discipline. It requires training and education to do properly. BBC news, etc., hire real journalists.
My opinion is that there is no such thing as independent and objective large scale (or mainstream) media. It's a fantasy.
Real journalists make mistakes and issues corrections. However, these days, many people mistaken opinion for journalism. Well, as the old saw goes, "One is entitled to one's own opinions, one is not entitled to one's own facts." Journalism is about uncovering facts and then reporting on them.
Unfortunately many small scale independent media outlets tend to fall prey to their own political bias.
This is because they are not doing journalism.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Another example: You state that the BBC is a reputable source. The BBC is funded by the UK state. It's executive board reads like a pedigree of English political and economic inbred nepotism.
It isn't perfect but it is actually funded by taxpayers who pay a licence fee in order that the organisation does not have to accept advertising. In terms of mass media it is probably held to account by the public more than any other. I rate it as obviously imperfect, but still the best source of information and the most open to comment from a wide spectrum of opinion.
Last edited by Mantrik on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:39 pm

PS I wonder what is happening in Afrin, don't see much of that on the news, do you?

And I don't see anybody sending Tomahawk missiles to take out the Israeli snipers killing unarmed Palestinian protectors on a daily basis. Weird that.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:39 pm
PS I wonder what is happening in Afrin, don't see much of that on the news, do you?

!3 minutes ago, on Reuters:
Turkey, rebel allies have lost hundreds in Afrin fighting, Erdogan says

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey and its Syrian rebel allies have lost “hundreds” of fighters in total since the start of a campaign in northwest Syria three months ago, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday, with the rebels suffering the bulk of the losses.

Turkey and its Free Syrian Army (FSA) allies launched the operation, dubbed “Olive Branch” by Ankara, in January and have since swept the Syrian Kurdish YPG from the Afrin region.

Erdogan has previously threatened to push further east, a move that would ratchet up tension in Syria’s multi-sided conflict.

“Alongside our 56 martyrs, the FSA army had hundreds of martyrs,” Erdogan told Turkey’s NTV in an interview broadcast live.

Turkey sees the YPG as an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), considered a terrorist group by the United States and Europe. The PKK has waged a three-decade insurgency in Turkey’s largely Kurdish southeast that has left some 40,000 people dead.

The United States has trained and backed the YPG militia in the fight against Islamic State in Syria. That support has infuriated Erdogan and strained ties between Washington and Ankara, both NATO allies and members of the coalition against Islamic State.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mide ... SKBN1HS0O2

NY Review of Books, 4/11/18
Mohammed is not his real name. He asked me not to share personal details, fearing retaliation from the fighters he passes when he walks around his city. I can say only that Mohammed is a Kurd living in Afrin, a city in northern Syria that was held for more than five years by Kurdish-led forces until it was, about three weeks ago, overrun and occupied by the Turkish army and its proxy forces fighting under the umbrella of the Syrian National Army (SNA), formerly known as the Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA).

To be a Kurd in Afrin, once a majority Kurdish city, Mohammed says, is now to find oneself a member of a despised group, suspected of disloyalty, and liable to be robbed, beaten, put to flight, or worse. In its seventh year, the Syrian civil war has seen the warring parties and their foreign sponsors foster and exploit ethnic and sectarian divisions in order to realize their strategic ends. The looting and ethnic cleansing of Afrin by Turkish-backed militias is the latest ugly episode of this grim and cynical logic.
http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/04/11 ... n-hatreds/

Human Rights Watch, 4/8/18
(Beirut) – Syrian government forces are blocking some civilians fleeing the Turkish-led military actions in Afrin from entering territory under government control, Human Rights Watch said today. The civilians are stranded in areas with limited food, clean water, and medical supplies. Syrian government authorities should facilitate freedom of movement and aid delivery for the affected civilians.

At the same time, Human Rights Watch has documented that armed groups working with Turkish forces are looting and destroying civilian property in the city of Afrin and surrounding villages, exacerbating the plight of civilians there. Turkish forces and non-state armed groups in control of Afrin should halt the looting and hold those responsible for the damage accountable.
https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/04/08/syr ... leeing-aid

The NY Times, 3/22/18:
Emboldened Turkey Pushes Deeper Into Syria, but Risks Abound

KILIS, Turkey — After two months of uncertain fighting, Turkey appears suddenly to be riding high in its military campaign to take control of a larger piece of northern Syria.

Along the border, studded with spring flowers and pistachio and olive groves, the artillery guns and fighter jets that until recently pounded the low mountains have fallen silent since Turkish forces captured the enclave of Afrin last weekend.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/worl ... afrin.html

And I don't see anybody sending Tomahawk missiles to take out the Israeli snipers killing unarmed Palestinian protectors on a daily basis. Weird that.

And under the Trump administration, you won't hear a peep from our Gvt. But the news is different.
JERUSALEM — They came in smaller numbers. But the outcome was still deadly, and the victims this time included a 15-year-old boy.

Palestinians protested for a fourth Friday along the security fence dividing Gaza from Israel, some of them burning tires, hurling rocks or flying kites with flaming tails in the hope of setting ablaze the fields of Israeli rural communities on the other side. The Israeli military distributed a photograph of one kite with a scrawled swastika.

The military estimated the number of participants at about 3,000 in five locations along the Gaza border, down from at least 30,000 on March 30, when the protest campaign started.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/worl ... eaths.html
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Manju wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am
Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

US and allies started launching strikes on Syria.

If you know about any `spiritual efforts towards world peace` then please write it here (Sutra recitation etc. ....what is appropriate ? )

I am sitting in Kathmandu and want to recite something.

Manju
So this was the OP. The rest of this discussion has been a hijacked thread in many different directions ... While interesting... I don't think anyone has stayed on topic.

:focus:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 pm
Manju wrote:
Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

If you know about any `spiritual efforts towards world peace` then please write it here (Sutra recitation etc. ....what is appropriate ? )

Manju
So this was the OP. The rest of this discussion has been a hijacked thread in many different directions ... While interesting... I don't think anyone has stayed on topic.

True, I think it was hijacked right about here when someone brought up their doubts about Assad gassing civilians.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=28339#p443772
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 pm
Ogyen wrote:
Manju wrote:
Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

Manju

True, I think it was hijacked right about here when someone brought up their doubts about Assad gassing civilians.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=28339#p443772
Sorry Manju!!!!

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Sorry Manju!!!!
it's the usual pattern - good relevant suggestions offered and then things move along. You have to admit, Malcolm gotcha there ! lol :)

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 pm
Ogyen wrote:

Sorry Manju!!!!
it's the usual pattern - good relevant suggestions offered and then things move along. You have to admit, Malcolm gotcha there ! lol :)
Totally got me and kept me in check!! It's what made me verify what I thought I knew before spouting off some additional nonsense...

:oops:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:11 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 pm
Ogyen wrote:

Sorry Manju!!!!
Totally got me and kept me in check!! It's what made me verify what I thought I knew before spouting off some additional nonsense...

:oops:
:buddha1:
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

DiamondMeru

Post by DiamondMeru » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:17 am

Ogyen wrote:
Manju wrote:
Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

Manju

Buddha Akshobhya is a Buddha which purifies anger and where there is war and violence he can intervene to stop it generating love and kindness. Buddha Mitrugpa is a manifestation of Buddha Akshobya and his daily mantra is as follows:

Namo Ratna trayaya
Om Kamkani Kamkani
Rotsani Rotsani Trotani Trotani
Trasani Trasani Tratihana Tratihana
Sarwa Karma Param-Parani Me
Sarwa Sato Nentsa Soha

I do not know what exactly it means but it could be used to stop violence in war.
Taken from The Buddha Book by Lillian Too inspired by teachings of Lama Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche
~Homage to you, Tara, upon whom the kings of the assembled gods The gods themselves, and all kinnaras rely; Whose magnificent armor gives joy to all, You who dispel all disputes and bad dreams.~

mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 am

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Another example: You state that the BBC is a reputable source. The BBC is funded by the UK state. It's executive board reads like a pedigree of English political and economic inbred nepotism.
It isn't perfect but it is actually funded by taxpayers who pay a licence fee in order that the organisation does not have to accept advertising. In terms of mass media it is probably held to account by the public more than any other. I rate it as obviously imperfect, but still the best source of information and the most open to comment from a wide spectrum of opinion.
Current and Topical:
http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-43754737

"For decades the BBC denied that job applicants were subject to political vetting by MI5. But in fact vetting began in the early days of the BBC and continued until the 1990s. Paul Reynolds, the first journalist to see all the BBC's vetting files, tells the story of the long relationship between the corporation and the Security Service."
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am

mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 am
Mantrik wrote:
Grigoris wrote:
Current and Topical:

"For decades the BBC denied that job applicants were subject to political vetting by MI5. But in fact vetting began in the early days of the BBC and continued until the 1990s. Paul Reynolds, the first journalist to see all the BBC's vetting files, tells the story of the long relationship between the corporation and the Security Service."
The BBC goes out of its way to be critical of government in order to demonstrate its independence, which is a condition of its license. Citing it as a tool of the state is frankly a bit silly.

If you were looking for a country that best upholds the ideal of freedom of the press, it’s the UK. The economist, FT, BBC, Guardian - all pretty good. Even Al-Jazeera, which does some very good reporting, was founded by ex-BBC reporters.

mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 am

PeterC wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:
Mantrik wrote:

Current and Topical:

The BBC goes out of its way to be critical of government in order to demonstrate its independence, which is a condition of its license. Citing it as a tool of the state is frankly a bit silly.
There are longstanding connections between the state security services and the BBC, and beyond that groupthink is as common in the UK media as it is in the USA. Look at the recent reaction to Owen Jones' critiques of the British media. Or look at the biased coverage of Labor in recent years as Corbyn's popularity skyrocketed.

To praise the BBC and then dismiss it's own reporting on its past connections to the security services is what is kind of silly.
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 am

mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:27 am
PeterC wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:

Current and Topical:

There are longstanding connections between the state security services and the BBC, and beyond that groupthink is as common in the UK media as it is in the USA. Look at the recent reaction to Owen Jones' critiques of the British media. Or look at the biased coverage of Labor in recent years as Corbyn's popularity skyrocketed.

To praise the BBC and then dismiss it's own reporting on its past connections to the security services is what is kind of silly.
The association with the security services and the political bias are two different questions.

The BBC vetted employees. Channel 4 and ITV did not, per that article, as people excluded from the BBC got jobs there. Yet the BBC was no less aggressive in reporting on the government than they were, and was often more so. The logical conclusion is that vetting did not result in political bias.

mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 am

PeterC wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 am
The association with the security services and the political bias are two different questions.

The BBC vetted employees. Channel 4 and ITV did not, per that article, as people excluded from the BBC got jobs there. Yet the BBC was no less aggressive in reporting on the government than they were, and was often more so. The logical conclusion is that vetting did not result in political bias.
I read the BBC news site everyday. I find it a valuable resource as it reports on things the US media often doesn't. I don't find it without any merit. However, the idea that there isn't political bias is a little risible though. I don't find much of their reporting to be strongly critical of the UK government. Reporting on failings is the bare minimum expected in an adversarial press, but the level of analysis doesn't go much beyond that.

Are you aware of the media studies on the bias in UK media in recent years?

This is a good piece citing some of the academic reviews of recent years: http://theconversation.com/media-bias-a ... come-71593