Beto O'Rourke is Running, Too!

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Beto O'Rourke is Running, Too!

Post by Queequeg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Beto O'Rourke,

Former alternative rocker, skateboarder, El Paso, TX, city council member, U.S. Representative for the Texas 16th Congressional District, Democratic candidate who challenged Ted Cruz for his Senate seat, all around cool guy, is running. Announcement
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Beto O'Rourke is Running, Too!

Post by Queequeg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm

I like the idea of Beto. Seems like a dad I'd talk to at the playground but gently brush off when he invited me to get involved in the school fund raising drive.

That announcement... something very eager puppy dog to it. Basically cribbed Bernie.

And then there's the whole acid casualty thing about him. LOL Who said it? Beto O'Rourke or Trey Anastasio?

I'm not judging because we're basically X Gen peers... I'd vote for him. ?He's one of my tribe, we would have run in the same circles at Columbia, taking bong hits and checking out shows at Wetlands. I don't know if the country is ready to elect Keeanu Reeve's Ted to be President yet. The future is not quite Excellent.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 pm

At this rate I am afraid I will wake up one day and find out that I am running for the US president too. And I don't even live in the US.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 am

Beto?
...So what does his presidential bid mean for the environment and tackling climate change? It’s complicated. First, the good news: O’Rourke is no climate denier. Even in deep-red Texas, O’Rourke, who had no name recognition nationally until he launched a grassroots, seat-of-your-pants campaign against Senator Ted Cruz in 2017, was clear from the get-go that climate change is real, that it’s happening now and humans are driving it. O’Rourke also sports a lifetime score of 95 from the League of Conservation Voters.

In his unsuccessful campaign to unseat Cruz, climate change was rarely part of the discussion. Over two debates, Cruz and O’Rourke clashed over energy and climate just once. In response to a question about ExxonMobil acknowledging climate change, O’Rourke said, “Three hundred years after the Enlightenment, we should be able to listen to the scientists.”

In Texas, campaigns are awash in money from Big Oil, and his campaign was no different. Last year, he was taken off a list of politicians who’d signed a “No Fossil Fuel Money” pledge, after he received $430,000 from people working in the oil and gas industry. Three-fourths of the donations were larger than $200 and 29 of them were from oil and gas executives.

When he traveled to parts of Texas dependant on fossil fuel extraction during his Senate campaign, O’Rourke promoted fracking as fundamental to national security. In the heart of the Permian Basin, for instance, he told the Midland Reporter-Telegram that he didn’t want the United States to be dependent on other countries for energy but that fracking should be done “in a responsible, safe way that does not jeopardize the environment.” At a debate with Cruz, he called the decision between renewables and fossil fuels “a false choice.” ...
:thinking:

:namaste:
Kim

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:19 pm

A bit of a digression - picking up on the fossil fuel industry folks donating a big chunk of money...

We should have no illusions that when we talk about things like universal healthcare and shifting to renewable energy sources, we are talking about reallocating vast resources and reorganizing the economy in ways that are going to put a lot of people out of work. Its also going to create new jobs, but that does not change the pain that many people, some of them very well compensated people, are going to feel. "Beings want to be happy and they want to avoid suffering." They are going to fight hard for their own narrow self interests, which often do not coincide with the general social good.

Get your figurative brass knuckles out.

Vote, and vote hard.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:16 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm
I don't know if the country is ready to elect Keeanu Reeve's Ted to be President yet.
When some Americans started seriously considering Oprah for president, I figured anything goes down there, tbh.
:spy:
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:02 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 pm
I don't know if the country is ready to elect Keeanu Reeve's Ted to be President yet. The future is not quite Excellent.
Just run already, Queequeg. Yang just busted that Golden gate wide open for you. Make your 2020/2024 campaign plans. #Q2024

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 am

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:19 pm
A bit of a digression - picking up on the fossil fuel industry folks donating a big chunk of money...

We should have no illusions that when we talk about things like universal healthcare and shifting to renewable energy sources, we are talking about reallocating vast resources and reorganizing the economy in ways that are going to put a lot of people out of work. Its also going to create new jobs, but that does not change the pain that many people, some of them very well compensated people, are going to feel. "Beings want to be happy and they want to avoid suffering." They are going to fight hard for their own narrow self interests, which often do not coincide with the general social good.

Get your figurative brass knuckles out.

Vote, and vote hard.
If you're into hashtags, #ClimateElection is a good one.
AFAIK the Aussies got there first, but you're welcome to adopt it.

:thumbsup:
Kim

Edit: :emb: maybe we weren't first ... https://www.climateelection.org

Return to “News & Current Events”