Rise of plant-based alternative Meats? (like Soy-based)

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
well wisher

Rise of plant-based alternative Meats? (like Soy-based)

Post by well wisher » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 am

Not sure if this is just media-based hype just to boost some corporate profits,
or if there is actual increase in demand for these types of plant-based protein replacing meat.
If this becomes actual sustainable long term trend , with no reported harmful side-effects or pitfalls,
then maybe animal lovers and vegetarians may rejoice!
What are your thoughts? Does your family or close friends think this story is actually true?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/06/business ... index.html
"Beyond Meat's stock jumps after first earnings report"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/business ... index.html
"KFC is looking into plant-based chicken alternatives"

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Rise of plant-based alternative Meats? (like Soy-based)

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 am

recently went veg and stuff like this has been a nice way to ease it in. Its not bad. Its not a juicy burger, but kind of, and tasty enough to help me forget how damn good a well prepared hamburger tastes.

mouth is watering.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 am

Great, sounds hopeful. Veggie based patties has been around for many years already (like more than 10+ years ago),
although in the past it seems the taste and dryness factors were obstacles to sales and adoption.
Hopefully the newer better versions will help bring more veggie converts, and maybe even more competitors as well.
Monopoly & Oligopoly cartels are bad for consumers and general market in terms of prices and freedom.

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 am

I’m forever thinking I ought to be vegetarian. The best I can manage is cooking vegetarian meals quite a bit. And various veggie meat substitutes are part of that. I make a nice pumpkin-tomato-chick-pea hotpot, and have recently started adding TVP (textured vegetable protein made from soy) which seems like mince meat in that combination.

More strength to Beyond Meat and the others, if they start selling here in Australia I’ll definitely be a customer.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 am

well wisher wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 am
Great, sounds hopeful. Veggie based patties has been around for many years already (like more than 10+ years ago),
although in the past it seems the taste and dryness factors were obstacles to sales and adoption.
Hopefully the newer better versions will help bring more veggie converts, and maybe even more competitors as well.
Monopoly & Oligopoly cartels are bad for consumers and general market in terms of prices and freedom.
These are much better than the old veggie burgers. The consistency is "meaty" rather than granular... Veggie burgers used to be like big flat falafel with corn and peas mixed in. Kind of mealy.

My wife has been getting veggie "meat" balls to make spaghetti and meat balls, and, I have to ask her if its really meat. They're very close to turkey meat balls.

Its a good development. Even if it just becomes an option to cut down on meat consumption.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:24 am

One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:36 am

It'd be wonderful if the Impossible stuff got big enough to actually put a dent in meat consumption, and was otherwise sustainable.
His welcoming
& rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state,
he discerns rightly,
has gone, beyond becoming,
to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm

I've also had the veg sausages and hot dogs... the sausages were hot italian and they crumble like sausage meet. Wasn't bad. I'm thinking of trying some recipes that call for sausage meat... maybe a ragu sauce. Its not gonna be cinghiale, but hey. First Precept or Temporary Oral Pleasure?
In the fall I'll try a veggie cassoulet or something.

The hard part is emulating the savoriness of meat. They do a comparable job, but its not quite.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm

It tastes very much like meat and has the same consistency too. I've been vegetarian for 35 years, so don't miss the taste of meat but see how it could be good for new vegetarians. They have it (impossible burgers) at Fat Burger fast food restaurants and some other places too, here in the U.S.

Here's another good article Kim posted over at DWE:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... e-obsolete

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:03 am

well wisher wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 am
Not sure if this is just media-based hype just to boost some corporate profits,
or if there is actual increase in demand for these types of plant-based protein replacing meat.
If this becomes actual sustainable long term trend , with no reported harmful side-effects or pitfalls,
then maybe animal lovers and vegetarians may rejoice!
What are your thoughts? Does your family or close friends think this story is actually true?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/06/business ... index.html
"Beyond Meat's stock jumps after first earnings report"

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/business ... index.html
"KFC is looking into plant-based chicken alternatives"
If selling more veggie protein based meat alternatives is a way to increase corporate revenues, then that's wonderful. I primarily eat vegetarian, but I'm not strict about it. Some of the great things about these products as compared to real meat is that you don't have to spend a long time cooking it, and all the mess of preparing animal based meats, like you don't have to worry about cooking times and getting really sick because the meat is undercooked, it's easy to prepare. And I personally don't miss the taste of real meat, in fact real meat kinda grosses me out and leaves me feeling icky because it's so rich and heavy.

For a good recipe, try making an Italian wedding soup with the veggie meatballs, greens like kale or spinach, carrots, onion, garlic, orzo etc..with spices like oregano and all that it is one of my favorite meals. Also, veggie meats are low or zero fat and cholesterol, so if that's what someone is missing in their food, maybe it's better they didn't eat it?

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Many soy-based veggie meat substitutes are made with hexane, a potentially harmful chemical. Check out this guide to those U.S. companies which do and do not use hexane in the processing of their soybeans.

https://www.cornucopia.org/hexane-guide ... tives.html
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 pm
Many soy-based veggie meat substitutes are made with hexane, a potentially harmful chemical. Check out this guide to those U.S. companies which do and do not use hexane in the processing of their soybeans.

THIS^.

Many processed vegan foods are also ridiculously expensive; and are not even organic to boot. What an scam.

And who wants to be an soyboy anyway. ;)

An vegan diet can be implemented to work well enough I suppose. But for the demands of everyday contemporary life, I think you’d have to become a nutrition mad-scientist to make it work, which would be both time consuming and expensive.
The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Plenty of alternative meats are not made with soy. Seitan is popular and is wheat protein. Beyond Burger is not made with soy protein but pea protein.
Sādhaka wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 pm

And who wants to be an soyboy anyway. ;)
I'd rather be a soyboy than a cowboy. :smile: Cowboys aren't very kind to animals.

I think you’d have to become a nutrition mad-scientist to make it work, which would be both time consuming and expensive.
Not really. Not much more difficult than reading a good book on the subject. It can be expensive or cheap, depending on what you buy, just like any other diet.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

rory

Post by rory » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:42 am

Sādhaka wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 pm

An vegan diet can be implemented to work well enough I suppose. But for the demands of everyday contemporary life, I think you’d have to become a nutrition mad-scientist to make it work, which would be both time consuming and expensive.
Actually it's incredibly easy. Here is a link to a Seventh-Day Adventist sites with recipes and a diet plan. They've been doing this since the 1880's. They avoid processed food, but do/did make soy meats.
https://www.seventhdayadventistdiet.com/
https://www.theseventhdayadventistdiet.com/#!

My elderly parents loved and love faux meat, I realize it's processed but add salads, beans, vegetables and you're good. It's handy as it delivers a lot of protein in a small low calorie package.

My go-to recipe for someone new is to get faux meat crumbles, toss it into your favourite tomato sauce, throw in sliced peppers, brocolli, zucchini, season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, a dollop of olive oil. Cook and pour over whole wheat pasta. Everyone likes this and it takes no time to cook.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:13 pm

this whole beyond meat is becoming huge

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 am
recently went veg and stuff like this has been a nice way to ease it in. Its not bad. Its not a juicy burger, but kind of, and tasty enough to help me forget how damn good a well prepared hamburger tastes.

mouth is watering.
I eat veg monday to friday...wraps...with various beans , red and green peppers and all sorts and avocado.... homemade yummy...

BUT>

on Saturday and sunday we eat a nice piece of filet mignon..so two relatively small pieces of red meat to keep the balance...

Even The Dali Lama eats a bit of meat and i saw him encouraging some nuns about it once, telling them a bit of meat is good for them...

true Dat .

Return to “News & Current Events”