First Democratic Party Debate (June 26-27)

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

First Democratic Party Debate (June 26-27)

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: First Democratic Party Debate (June 26-27)

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Kind of sh*t show at times.

My hot takes:

Where was Warren?

Klobuchar is a brawler. I'm afraid she's too moderate to gain traction, but we will see. I think she'd be able to take on Trump in the general election debates, but without the enthusiasm of the left wing of the Democratic party, it will be tough to win.

Beto needs to exit stage left to save himself further embarrassment. Walking example of clueless privilege.

Castro is good, though, immigration seems to be his big issue and, as f'ed up as the border is right now, I think a lot of people are going to perceive him as being in favor of open borders and that will not play. My gut is that people want strong borders, but also don't want to be inhumane. Will have to see how the conversation on the border plays out over the next few months, but that is one issue Trump will hammer on and, regretfully, I think he will be successful with it if its given to him.

Ryan - not ready for prime time.

Inslee - buttoned down white guys, even if they are capable of getting stuff done in government, are going to have a hard time getting noticed.

The bald white guy - um.

Booker - the guy can't modulate himself. He is really enthusiastic, but it gets ahead of him. The way he flushes when he's excited, the shiny bald head making the blood vessels appear very clearly, makes for bad optics. And I don't like guys from Wall Street anyway. If that was your career choice out of college, you're suspect in my book.

Gabbard - She was solid, but other than the military experience and the good answer explaining her past opposition to same sex marriage and homosexuality, I can't say she stood out.

De Blasio - He actually impressed me with his comments and sharp elbows to get himself noticed at the end of the stage. Good, solid progressive answers in the New Amsterdam style. I want to like him. He's covered in a very unflattering way in NYC, and that is going to follow him, besides the disadvantage of being from Gotham. Though that fact didn't hurt Trump...
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Second night of the debate

Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:59 pm

Too many candidates on the stage! They were all talking over each other and fighting. Looking forward to what Bill Maher has to say about it later today on his HBO show Real Time. He's a Dem, but always complains how the Dems ruin it for themselves by attacking each other.

Williamson (ACIM self-help author) said the other candidates are wrong because they all talk about their plans. She said Trump won because he had a slogan (MAGA). True, but what's wrong with a plan, after all how would people know who to vote for? Trump had plans too, it wasn't slogan only. She said her agenda is love . . . . :rolleye: :alien:

Agape, metta, maitri is good, but you need a plan to get there, imo.

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:41 am

phpBB [video]

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:07 am

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 am

I loved that there was an unapologetic hippie on the stage. The world needs more, imho. Just maybe not in charge.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:13 am

On a serious note, I think Harris damaged Biden but may well have shot her own candidacy in the process. Opened the way for Warren and Buttigieg, maybe.

I love Bernie but I don't think the disheveled look will make it this time.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:18 am

如傑優婆塞 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:41 am
phpBB [video]
:rolling:
"We should not express outwardly signs of wisdom, goodness, or diligence, for inwardly we are filled with falsity."
- Shinran Shonin

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 am

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 am
I loved that there was an unapologetic hippie on the stage. The world needs more, imho. Just maybe not in charge.
Like my Prime Minister, who brought her baby to the UN, and talks about kindness and forgiveness? :tongue:

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 am

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:35 am

phpBB [video]

Return to “News & Current Events”