Animal Activist: Let Mosquitoes Bite You As They Are "Mothers" Trying To Feed Their Babies

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
如傑優婆塞

Animal Activist: Let Mosquitoes Bite You As They Are "Mothers" Trying To Feed Their Babies

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 am

A French television presenter is making international headlines for urging people to allow mosquitoes to bite them... "There is good reason to have a bad conscience if you kill a mosquito" More here

如傑優婆塞

Re: Animal Activist: Let Mosquitoes Bite You As They Are "Mothers" Trying To Feed Their Babies

Post by 如傑優婆塞 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:09 am

Which reminds me of this classic...

phpBB [video]

Grigoris
Site Admin

Re: Animal Activist: Let Mosquitoes Bite You As They Are "Mothers" Trying To Feed Their Babies

Post by Grigoris » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:53 am

I let mosquitoes bite me. To a point. My patience isn't developed enough and the little pricks really take forever to finish feeding.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am

I don't mind mosquitoes feeding on me... but the the allergic reaction I have to their bite afterward is not fun! One bite can take upwards of 3 weeks to heal, and sometimes I have to take antibiotics too. As a child, mosquitoes bites didn't worry me, but I became allergic as I got older. Now, I try to avoid as much as possible.

Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:56 am

Doesn't need to be polar opposites. I have severe reactions to mosquito bites, so I always wear a natural repellent or long clothes if going out. I also have fly screens at all our windows.

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am

To problem isn’t the mosquito, it is the diseases they transmit.
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Grigoris
Site Admin

Post by Grigoris » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Matt J wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:58 am
Not all mosquito carry disease.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Enough do to make it unwise in my mind.

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm
Matt J wrote:
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:34 pm
Matt J wrote:
And how do you make that call?

I live in an area with ticks that carry lyme disease. Its pretty shitty to get lyme disease. Makes you lethargic for years, if not the rest of your life, and can cause paralysis. And even if they don't carry disease, if you just let ticks accumulate on you, they will literally suck your blood dry. That's what has been happening to moose in the North East United States.

If we could eradicate these blood suckers safely, I'd say, do it. The problem is they might be essential in the food chain and you might end up decimating populations of other animals like opossums that feed on them.

Here's a picture of the skin of a moose. Yeah, its a good idea to feed these pests. Those are ticks.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Grigoris
Site Admin

Post by Grigoris » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:27 pm
I ask them for their bill of health.

But seriously: if you do not live in a region where there are serious mosquito borne diseases happening, then the chances are...
I live in an area with ticks that carry lyme disease. Its pretty shitty to get lyme disease. Makes you lethargic for years, if not the rest of your life, and can cause paralysis. And even if they don't carry disease, if you just let ticks accumulate on you, they will literally suck your blood dry. That's what has been happening to moose in the North East United States.

If we could eradicate these blood suckers safely, I'd say, do it. The problem is they might be essential in the food chain and you might end up decimating populations of other animals like opossums that feed on them.

Here's a picture of the skin of a moose. Yeah, its a good idea to feed these pests. Those are ticks.

Lyme disease is nasty. Many of the ticks around here carry Lyme disease. I don't let ticks bite me. I am racist against ticks.

Thing with ticks is, unlike mosquito, they don't just bite you and then bugger off when they have had their fill.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:36 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:27 pm
I ask them for their bill of health.

But seriously: if you do not live in a region where there are serious mosquito borne diseases happening, then the chances are...

Lyme disease is nasty. Many of the ticks around here carry Lyme disease. I don't let ticks bite me. I am racist against ticks.

Thing with ticks is, unlike mosquito, they don't just bite you and then bugger off when they have had their fill.
It used to be that we didn't have problems with mosquitoes carrying disease around here. But now we have West Nile, and as the climate warms, we'll probably get zika soon. I'm sure other tropical diseases, too.

I didn't realize lyme was in Europe also... I read something recently that US Congress is demanding records from the military to determine if lyme was accidentally/intentionally released as part of a bio weapon test...
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 pm

I would prefer not to coerced into a disease riddled interspecies sexual threesome thank you.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am

如傑優婆塞 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 am
A French television presenter is making international headlines for urging people to allow mosquitoes to bite them... "There is good reason to have a bad conscience if you kill a mosquito"
Easy for him to say, mosquitos in France won’t give you malaria, dengue and Japanese encephalitis. Or perhaps he plans to travel and get those? Does he think viruses deserve to be given food and shelter too?

Grigoris
Site Admin

Post by Grigoris » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:37 pm

PeterC wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am
如傑優婆塞 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 am
A French television presenter is making international headlines for urging people to allow mosquitoes to bite them... "There is good reason to have a bad conscience if you kill a mosquito"
Easy for him to say, mosquitos in France won’t give you malaria, dengue and Japanese encephalitis. Or perhaps he plans to travel and get those? Does he think viruses deserve to be given food and shelter too?
They do whether you like it or not! :)

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:28 pm

At least recite "om mani peme hung" to bless your body for the mosquitoes who bite you and free them from lower birth if swatted out of necessity. It also purifies one's negativity towards sentient beings who cause annoyance as well as the benefits of thinking of Chenrezig even once.
Also, regarding the quotes around "mothers," not only are mosquitoes our mothers in a past life in some purely statistical sense, but they are also the mothers of this mantra's appearance, and so of the resultant blessings of virtue. Even now these beings contribute to our future happiness :smile:

Others whose mantra or name frees beings from lower birth are of course the Medicine Buddha, Namgyälma, Lotus Pinnacle of Amoghapasha... Anyone know others?

We get fleas and ants on occasion. Even lowly beings can be drawn towards the Dharma and benefit in future lives. If you have lots of pests, that's a continuum of the field of merit ready to be sown with your Dharma practice :thumbsup:
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 am

Source: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... guide.html
One of the bhikkhu's requisites is a water filter. This is employed to prevent the killing of (visible) waterborne creatures when making use of water from a well or stream. Practically, this also leads bhikkhus to take extra care that they cover water jars or regularly change water so that mosquito larvae do not have opportunity to breed. This shows how the Vinaya Rule emphasizes care and forethought as 'preventive medicine.'
Preventing further mosquto breeding is totally compatible with traditional Buddhist Vinaya rules!
(Classic quote: A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!)
So chasing / repelling mosquito away from drinking human blood is a good idea. Also helps prevent further sentient beings been borned as pitiful existence as an insect; better to have more humans or devas rather than animals/insects, from a Karma-reincarnation standpoint.
Also better to have fruit flies instead of blood sucking / disease transmitting mosquitoes, probably serve the same ecological niche too - like being food for frogs/ birds..
Also ventured out in the woods and witnessed firsthand, proves that mosquitoes are not endangered at all, plentiful swarms, so no need to protect their numbers! From a ecological standpoint.
I also concur with Seishin's idea about natural insect repellant. Example: mint-oil doubles for self protection against biting insects and as deodorants.

But yes, still a good idea to treat all sentient beings with kindness and compassion, whenever feasible and possible. So I prefer to blow them away if they land on me, instead of swatting/killing them outright. Much like Dalai Lama's second suggestion in the above video shared by 如傑優婆塞.

friendly

Post by friendly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm

How many bugs does the French presenter kill in trimming his beard and luscious hair to look so sexy?

Vanity posing as "holier than thou" ethics.

By the way, this mass murdering sociopath with a well trimmed beard has no respect for all the deaths to humans AND other animals from mosquito carried diseases.

Return to “News & Current Events”