Time For A Republic.

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Malcolm
Posts: 29404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:17 pm


If you have a disciplined monarchy, they'll let that nationalist impulse get projected onto them, and then its dissipated in harmless tabloid obsessions.

Consider in Japan where the nationalists keep trying to project onto the Emperor who in turn shrugs it off.
Hmmmm...Meiji restoration anyone?

This only works in a constitutional monarchy, and then, not even terribly well.


We're still by and large, stupid and tribal. A monarchy without any real power can function as a good diversion for the dumber nationalist impulses.
I think sports is a better outlet. :-)

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 9185
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:39 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:53 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:17 pm


If you have a disciplined monarchy, they'll let that nationalist impulse get projected onto them, and then its dissipated in harmless tabloid obsessions.

Consider in Japan where the nationalists keep trying to project onto the Emperor who in turn shrugs it off.
Hmmmm...Meiji restoration anyone?

This only works in a constitutional monarchy, and then, not even terribly well.
Yeah, the Meiji Restoration did not end well. The Emperor was "restored," but, it was really still the same class of people who were in charge before and after - the fight among that class was about modernization. The various conglomerates of political and financial power just put on the cloak of civil government and limited liability and carried on with an expanded scope. In any event, they did manage to take power in the Emperor's name. What was then remarkable was that when the Emperor decided to end the debacle, he did it with one radio address.

But yeah, I was talking about the Emperor post MacArthur.

I didn't say it worked well. It works to an extent. Its an argument for keeping the status quo.
We're still by and large, stupid and tribal. A monarchy without any real power can function as a good diversion for the dumber nationalist impulses.
I think sports is a better outlet. :-)
Yeah, maybe. I wish those MAGA nut jobs would just stick to football.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 pm

Whatever form it takes, it's a toss-up whether it is better to have people as titular rulers who are there because of past generations of warmongering and corruption, and those who are there because of current warmongering and corruption.

Suggestion 1:
Maybe we could persuade Netflix to buy the Windsor franchise and turn the whole shebang into a hybrid form of reality tv series:

'I''m a Royalty, Get me Out of Big Brother's Island' ?

Suggestion 2:
As this lot are Germans, we could arrange a rota system of royals from different nationalities to have a bash at it for a decade or so.

Suggestion 3:
Let descendants of previous relevant monarchs loose in an annual Royal 'It's a Knockout' series and give each winner a year.
At the moment, I'd put money on the Athelstan clan, even though they did fail to claim back Long Island recently.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Blackthorne
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:55 pm

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Blackthorne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:12 pm

Rick wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:30 pm
But constitutional monarchies are so charming! :twothumbsup: :tongue: :popcorn:
I agree and believe it is a decent form of government overall but I'm not a fan of parliamentary representation due to its instability. Snap elections can be called due to non confidence which means government is disrupted far too often.

Simon E.
Posts: 7062
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm

But they are not forms of government. They have a purely ceremonial function.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Blackthorne
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:55 pm

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Blackthorne » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm
But they are not forms of government. They have a purely ceremonial function.
I have no problem with absolute monarchies or constitutional monarchies like we have in Canada. :cheers:

"The monarchy of Canada is at the core of Canada's constitutional federal structure and Westminster-style parliamentary democracy.[6] The monarchy is the foundation of the executive (Queen-in-Council), legislative (Queen-in-Parliament), and judicial (Queen-on-the-Bench) branches of both federal and provincial jurisdictions.[10] The sovereign is the personification of the Canadian state and is Queen of Canada as a matter of constitutional law.[11][12][17] The current Canadian monarch and head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 6 February 1952. Elizabeth's eldest son, Charles, Prince of Wales, is heir apparent." Wiki

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 9185
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 pm

You guys are talking about the same monarch.

How do the Quebecois feel about that?

I suppose if the monarchy is abolished in the UK, the royal family could all move to Ottawa and join Harry and what's-her-face.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.
Posts: 7062
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Blackthorne wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:06 pm
But they are not forms of government. They have a purely ceremonial function.
I have no problem with absolute monarchies or constitutional monarchies like we have in Canada. :cheers:

"The monarchy of Canada is at the core of Canada's constitutional federal structure and Westminster-style parliamentary democracy.[6] The monarchy is the foundation of the executive (Queen-in-Council), legislative (Queen-in-Parliament), and judicial (Queen-on-the-Bench) branches of both federal and provincial jurisdictions.[10] The sovereign is the personification of the Canadian state and is Queen of Canada as a matter of constitutional law.[11][12][17] The current Canadian monarch and head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 6 February 1952. Elizabeth's eldest son, Charles, Prince of Wales, is heir apparent." Wiki
Well good, you are welcome to keep the whole tribe then as well as Harry and Meghan. I’m sure we in the U.K. can put the money saved to good use.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Malcolm
Posts: 29404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 pm

How do the Quebecois feel about that?
Apparently the Sussexes were warned off about spending time in Montreal, as the Quebecois are not thrilled with being subjects of the English crown.

Also, I heard it speculated that one way to resolve the issue is to award Canada to the Sussexes and make them the King and Queen of Canada.

Malcolm
Posts: 29404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Well good, you are welcome to keep the whole tribe then as well as Harry and Meghan. I’m sure we in the U.K. can put the money saved to good use.
Spoken like a true American!

Malcolm
Posts: 29404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 pm
Whatever form it takes, it's a toss-up whether it is better to have people as titular rulers who are there because of past generations of warmongering and corruption, and those who are there because of current warmongering and corruption.

Suggestion 1:
Maybe we could persuade Netflix to buy the Windsor franchise and turn the whole shebang into a hybrid form of reality tv series:

'I''m a Royalty, Get me Out of Big Brother's Island' ?

Suggestion 2:
As this lot are Germans, we could arrange a rota system of royals from different nationalities to have a bash at it for a decade or so.

Suggestion 3:
Let descendants of previous relevant monarchs loose in an annual Royal 'It's a Knockout' series and give each winner a year.
At the moment, I'd put money on the Athelstan clan, even though they did fail to claim back Long Island recently.
The only genuine sovereigns of England, Scotland, and Wales are the Stuarts.

:applause:

Simon E.
Posts: 7062
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Yes, well we know you have Scottish ancestry Malcolm... :smile:
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Malcolm
Posts: 29404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 pm
Yes, well we know you have Scottish ancestry Malcolm... :smile:
Just sayin...

Malcolm
Posts: 29404
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Image

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 9185
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:10 pm
Also, I heard it speculated that one way to resolve the issue is to award Canada to the Sussexes and make them the King and Queen of Canada.
In a world where Donald Trump becomes president, such an absurdity actually sounds about right. I'd love to see that for the spectacle.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Virgo
Former staff member
Posts: 3570
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Virgo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm

Rick wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:30 pm
But constitutional monarchies are so charming! :twothumbsup: :tongue: :popcorn:


Kevin

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Mantrik » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:16 pm
Yes, well we know you have Scottish ancestry Malcolm... :smile:
Just sayin...
Aye, laddie.
My DNA goes back to the Orkneys. It's welcome. Too bloody cold! ;)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

pemachophel
Posts: 1546
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by pemachophel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 am

Mantrik,

Maybe we're related. My family have been in the Orkneys since the eight century. We're from S. Ronaldsay. For centuries we lived on a farm that is still named after our family. In the 19th century, we moved to St. Margaret's Hope. Our family home was the Creel Restaurant and Inn. Not sure what it's name is currently. I passed on purchasing it some 10 years ago. Now most of my Orcadian relatives live on Rousay and Westray. Another branch moved to the Shetlands a few centuries ago, PM me with your last name and where your family are from if you're interested.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 2178
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Rick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:04 am

Up Helly Aa! :cheers:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 2178
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 am

Re: Time For A Republic.

Post by Rick » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:08 am

Speaking of money, doesn't the royal family bring in lots more than they cost taxpayers?

I read they cost around 1/3 billion a year and earn (mostly tourism) well over a billion.

Or is that fake news? ;-)
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Post Reply

Return to “News & Current Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kim O'Hara and 18 guests