Pope Francis Won't meet with HHDL

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Pope Francis Won't meet with HHDL

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:12 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pope- ... ng-n266666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ack.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Loren

Re: Pope Francis Won't meet with HHDL

Post by Loren » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pope- ... ng-n266666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ack.
Doesn't state it but other articles suggest the Pope didn't want to cause trouble for China's Catholics. Long-term foresight.
Thank You and Ok!

aka Lorem

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Loren wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pope- ... ng-n266666" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ack.
Doesn't state it but other articles suggest the Pope didn't want to cause trouble for China's Catholics. Long-term foresight.

Yeah, there were a couple articles that mentioned that, hopefully that was it.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

zerwe

Post by zerwe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:00 pm

I think the media might be projecting a bit on this one.
However, I did see another article that said this was
the third time he has declined.
Shaun :namaste:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:14 pm

Yeah, I would think based on his past actions that Pope Francis would want to promote unity amongst religions but can't for whatever political reasons.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:08 am

Loren wrote:

Ack.
Very likely in my opinion. Just for the benefit of viewers who might not know the context of this, the Catholic Church is an illegal organization within the PRC because the Chinese Government insists that it has the right to appoint all high level religious offices (for example, selecting the reincarnation of the Panchen Lama) and in the case of the Catholic Church, the Chinese Government demands the right to appoint the Bishops because the Vatican is seen as a foreign power extending its influence.

Both His Holiness Pope Francis and His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama are seen as big threats to the Chinese Government's absolute claims to authority, because of both of their spiritual authority and also the amount of clout and respect both of them carry in the west. If the Chinese see the two working together they might very well start crackdowns on both Chinese Catholics and on supporters of His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama.

gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:45 pm

There0is this song by David Bowie called 'Fame'. For a long time Dalai Lama was the spiritual leader that ppl would turn their eyes and years to yet for the regret of many leftist ppl around the world, esp. non religious. I think the new pope talks more in a leftist than religious manner so he has a huge popularity now and dont feel I suppose like being shadowed by another religions priest.

Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 am

Don't agree with that.

Anyway, I'm liking this new Pope. He seems to be genuinely invested in reform.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”

Return to “News & Current Events”