Mad Max: Fury Road

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Malcolm

Mad Max: Fury Road

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:21 am

Must. See.

Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Crazywisdom

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road

Post by Crazywisdom » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:30 am

You will be an immortal of Valhalla shiny and chrome
She glares menacingly at your corpse.

The criticisms of others are like wrathful mantras. Fast purification. Welcome it. -can’t remember who

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:55 am

To paraphrase someone who worked on it, "If you want a great action movie, go see it. If you want anything more - like a good story, for instance - forget it."

:toilet:
Kim

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:54 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:To paraphrase someone who worked on it, "If you want a great action movie, go see it. If you want anything more - like a good story, for instance - forget it."

:toilet:
Kim
There is actually quite a bit of symbolism in the movie that is not easy to pick up. I say this because I had no idea until my (film geek) friend explained things to me. I guess you have to know a bit about film and storytelling to be able to see that. I don't know :shrug: but either way it's one of the most incredible action movies ever made.

Also, I think if we ever have an American Vajrayana, we should have chod with flaming guitar pawos.

Matt J

Post by Matt J » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Don't listen to those people. It's a story about life, death, survival, redemption, meaning, hope, and surprisingly, feminism.
Kim O'Hara wrote:To paraphrase someone who worked on it, "If you want a great action movie, go see it. If you want anything more - like a good story, for instance - forget it."
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Malcolm

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road — Spoilers

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:00 pm

The fundamental story is the overthrow of a mercantilist patriarchal triumvirate, setting the stage for the rise of a matriarchal seed-saving society in the Wasteland.

Foremost, it is quest movie. Second of all, it is a chase movie. Third of all, it is an action film. Overall, it is another chapter in Miller's stunning post-apocalyptic vision. While nothing could ever recapture the sheer purity of the Road Warrior, this movie stands on its own in every way.

While there was no script, there was a story. The movie itself was composed in over 3000 story boards, making a huge graphic novel. Not only is there a story for every actor, a back story, which each actor was filled in on; every car, truck, town and so on was given a backstory upon which set was constructed and upon which the actors improvised their dialogue, as minimal as dialogue is in this film. If you know anything of theater history, you will remember Antonine Artaud's "Theatre of Cruelty" with it's emphasis on mise en scène.

Also, Miller very cleverly divided up the three things that characterize modern economics; oil, weapons and agriculture into three communities, i.e. Gastown, the Bullet Farm and the Citadel. As someone concerned with the environment, Kim, you should understand this movie is very much about environmentalism and the consequences of not treating our planet well.

The actual movie itself — a quest to find The Green Place, Furiosa's home, from which she was kidnapped — is only a very small part of a much bigger story.

Furiosa escapes with Immortal Joe's wives to find the green place. There is a tremendous chase, but Max and Furiosa (having become allies) succeed in escaping Immortal Joe and his allies by losing them in a swamp, called the Place of Crows. After discovering some old biker women, the Vulvalini, who had turned to banditry in the Waste Land to survive, they inform Furiosa that the Green Place of her childhood had become tainted and vanished, turning into the place where they had lost Immortal Joe and his army, the Place of Crows. You should understand that Furiosa and her mother had been kidnapped from the Vulvalini and the Green Place when she was a small child by Immortal Joe. The Vulvalini had saved seeds, their most precious possession. Furiosa and the Vulvalini decide to try and cross the salt flats to find a new green place, but with Max's encouragement, they realize that they have no idea what they will find 160 miles across the salt flats, so they turn around to take on Immortal Joe and his minions, eventually taking over the citadel itself.

That is the story.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:09 pm

I agree with Malcolm.

one detail, though: it's not 160 miles across the salt flats, it's 160 DAYS across the salt flats. What are those salt flats? I can only guess they are what used to be the oceans. they had resolved to ride, effectively, from Victoria, Australia to Peru or so (hence the long ride).

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Jikan wrote:I agree with Malcolm.

one detail, though: it's not 160 miles across the salt flats, it's 160 DAYS across the salt flats. What are those salt flats? I can only guess they are what used to be the oceans. they had resolved to ride, effectively, from Victoria, Australia to Peru or so (hence the long ride).
You are right, my bad.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Vulvalini?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Vulvalini?
http://theladiesfinger.com/bechdel-test ... fury-road/

Oh, I see, it's actually 'Vuvalini'. 'Vulvalini' would have been amusing, though. :smile:

http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-ro ... -feminist/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:20 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Vulvalini?
http://theladiesfinger.com/bechdel-test ... fury-road/

Oh, I see, it's actually 'Vuvalini'. 'Vulvalini' would have been amusing, though. :smile:

http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-ro ... -feminist/
No:
The plot leads us to the women and the two male allies finding the many mothers of Vulvalini (Vulva + Kundalini?), who once ran the green land. Due to the climate, the land has since been destroyed and only five of them have survived. They are bike-riding, gun-shooting old women who maintain a bag filled with various seeds that can be planted once they find the right patch of land. This is also where the film almost passes the Bechdel Test – the Keeper of the seeds and Dag have a conversation about the seeds and hope. Why almost? Because we never learn the name of the Keeper of the Seeds.
Update: appears to be a common error, but I swore in the credits they were cast as the Vulvalini.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Malcolm wrote:Update: appears to be a common error, but I swore in the credits they were cast as the Vulvalini.
OK, you're off the hook.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:58 am

To me, the really nice thing about this series, particularly the latest one and the second one (Road Warrior), was that they deliberately downplayed explanation of what was happening. The viewer has to learn, with Max, what is going on, as things happen.

This analysis of Max's first scene in Road Warrior illustrates how much is portrayed without labouring it:
http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/05/23/a ... ior?page=1

:anjali:
Mike

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:10 am

Okay ... I am happy that you are enjoying it, whatever your reasons and whatever its qualities ...
BUT (some of you saw that coming, I hope :tongue: ) (1) most of your comments have just reinforced my opinion that most of you don't read enough science fiction to be able to rate the depth or originality of the plot* and (2) it still doesn't sound like a movie I will ever choose to watch.

:coffee:

* that was a problem with Avatar, too. Visuals 4.5 stars out of 5, originality 0.5 stars, and hardly anyone noticed. :toilet:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:Okay ... I am happy that you are enjoying it, whatever your reasons and whatever its qualities ...
BUT (some of you saw that coming, I hope :tongue: ) (1) most of your comments have just reinforced my opinion that most of you don't read enough science fiction to be able to rate the depth or originality of the plot* and (2) it still doesn't sound like a movie I will ever choose to watch.

:coffee:

* that was a problem with Avatar, too. Visuals 4.5 stars out of 5, originality 0.5 stars, and hardly anyone noticed. :toilet:
As someone who has primarily read science fiction for entertainment for the past 45 years, I should point out that movies are not books. They are an entirely different genre.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Malcolm wrote:As someone who has primarily read science fiction for entertainment for the past 45 years, I should point out that movies are not books. They are an entirely different genre.
Frank Herbert's Dune and then that... that hideous movie...

Mad Max: Arrakeen Road? Drive without rhythm...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:12 pm

daverupa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:As someone who has primarily read science fiction for entertainment for the past 45 years, I should point out that movies are not books. They are an entirely different genre.

Hideous indeed.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:56 pm

daverupa wrote:

I was about to chime in with precisely this comment.

I couldn't help but think about Dune (the book) while watching Fury Road, though. Both are largely conflicts over control of scarce resources in desert environments.

Fury Road would make a really stupid book. It's a delightful action movie. It's not great cinema. It's a great action movie. Given the constraints of the moment, it's remarkable that it was even made. And yes, it has "sequel" written all over it.

http://io9.com/do-you-realize-mad-max-f ... 1707000166

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Jikan wrote:
Fury Road would make a really stupid book. It's a delightful action movie. It's not great cinema.
On the contrary, it is great cinema. It is technically one of the most well-edited, well-shot, well-planned, well-executed movies of all time.

This is movie has raised the technical bar. Directors are no longer going to be able to get away with CGI everything.

450 hours of filming, 3000+ plus hours of editing, all boiled down into 120 minutes. This says it all:
Here five things I can’t believe Miller was allowed to do:

• Have Max be the sidekick in his own film.

• Hire Nicholas Hoult, one of Hollywood’s youngest, most attractive stars, then shave his head, paint him bone white, and have him play a character with disgusting chapped lips for the entire movie.

• Get rid of Max’s iconic car in the first few minutes of the flick.

• Ignore conventional action movie structure in order to present one giant, two-hour long car chase.

• Give the main villain a name that will confuse every one all the time, because they assume there’s been some kind of error and the character’s real name must be “Immortal Joe.”
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Return to “News & Current Events”