Female Dalai Lama must be pretty

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
DNS
Site Admin

Female Dalai Lama must be pretty

Post by DNS » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:55 am

According to the current Dalai Lama:

Any woman successor must be pretty

Konchog1

Re: Female Dalai Lama must be pretty

Post by Konchog1 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:28 am

Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 am

The newspaper article reads as if it is biased. That seems to be their job in order to appear "independent", isn't it?
Did they ever write anything friendly and factual about Buddhism in general?

Who experienced His Holiness Dalai Lama in direct contact, knows he cannot make any statement out of a misogyn attitude. It simply is not possible.
:namaste:
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

mossy

Post by mossy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:27 am

the reporter seemed more interested in getting HH to say it was ok to use military force against ISIS.

phpBB [video]

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:30 am

The Dalai Lama has astonished his millions of followers by declaring that any female successor to his role will have to be "very attractive" to do the job.
I really doubt they are astonished. I'm fairly sure millions of his followers understand it is upaya.

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:53 am

I...actually thought this was funny. I mean, even though he said he was being serious, I think he was just messing with the interviewer.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:32 pm

I would like to think that His Holiness the Dalai Lama should have a say in how his next life is going to be. If he manifests as a female, can he not wish to be pretty? Is it sexist or offensive to wish to be pretty? Should he have said that if there is a female Dalai Lama she must be ugly?

Of course, most who are "engaged" in this discussion probably will think that it shouldn't matter what a female or a male Dalai Lama looks like, which would seem like the obvious answer. But really, when you consider the role a teacher has in Buddhadharma, "magnetism" or "power" is part and parcel of the entire package. People were in awe over the Buddha, just what radiance and power he emanated, how beautiful he was. People would stare at him for long periods of time, admiring his beauty. Naturally what made the Buddha so great wasn't his beauty, it was his teachings, but he had the entire package, not lacking in any department.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama was referred to as being quite a handsome religious leader in his younger years. Is it wrong for him to want to be a pretty woman if he takes rebirth as a woman?

Too many people choosing to get offended and worked up over the most absurd things possible today.

Redfaery

Post by Redfaery » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:04 pm

This was part of my thinking as well...and to be perfectly honest, unattractive women are bullied and harrassed for their looks, even more so than unattractive men. A female DL would have to face down a lot of gender-based criticism from the get-go. Few people would take her seriously. There would probably be accusations that she used her sexuality to get the job. Can you imagine what would be said about her if she weren't attractive? Look at some of the things that are said about Hillary Clinton, for example!
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:51 pm

I think it's great that he is even considering a future Dalai Lama to be female. I imagine it would be a very long time (maybe never?) that there would be a female Catholic pope.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Redfaery wrote:This was part of my thinking as well...and to be perfectly honest, unattractive women are bullied and harrassed for their looks, even more so than unattractive men. A female DL would have to face down a lot of gender-based criticism from the get-go. Few people would take her seriously. There would probably be accusations that she used her sexuality to get the job. Can you imagine what would be said about her if she weren't attractive? Look at some of the things that are said about Hillary Clinton, for example!
Germany was discussing chancellor Merkel's hairstyle for three years, I think. It was topic Nr.1 about her in the country. Now after ten years it finally became boring and they discuss her style of politics.

But I also think, HHDL was kidding somehow. He is speaking with his tongue in cheek so often.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:02 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:I think it's great that he is even considering a future Dalai Lama to be female. I imagine it would be a very long time (maybe never?) that there would be a female Catholic pope.
I think, that would be forbidden.

passel

Post by passel » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:30 pm

I love the Dalai Lama and I'm so glad he's in the world, I do think he was joking around, but I think it was a rotten thing to say- especially the "otherwise, not much use" part. I'm quite sure he doesn't really believe that a woman who happens not to have a pretty face is not of much use regardless of her other qualities, but it comes off as really insensitive and chauvinistic. I hope he apologizes.

I think this is one of the real challenges of being such a revered figure- you can occasionally forget what you words sound like to other people. How many people after all these years can give him feedback when he missteps? When I say dumb or hurtful things, fortunately I have people around who will point them out to me and not try to explain them as my upaya. I'm not sure His Holiness has that luxury.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:28 pm

He also said your wife isn't very pretty to someone and they replied that she may not be that pretty but she has a big heart or something similar. Can look up the story on the net.

In this culture and day if my son learns that (and gets it right) I'll be happy.
'Lorem', 'Loren', 'Loren Enders'

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Loren Enders wrote:He also said your wife isn't very pretty to someone and they replied that she may not be that pretty but she has a big heart or something similar. Can look up the story on the net.

In this culture and day if my son learns that (and gets it right) I'll be happy.
Yes. You should provide a source for the first claim of yours right away.

Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:03 pm

That's a story he tells in his teachings live. Think I heard it in Long Beach but can't remember for sure.

Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:10 pm

He offered that he was not against divorce, except when children were involved. He followed that by saying that “long-lasting marriages are not based on external beauty, but on internal beauty.”

He poked fun at himself with an anecdote about the time he told a friend that his wife “wasn’t very attractive.”

“The man told me, ‘No, she’s not very attractive on the outside, but very, very beautiful on the inside,’” he recalled.

“I had no argument for that.”
https://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2012/da ... -to-wm.php

2012 live teaching, also 2014.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:14 pm

You see, the way you presented it, was as if HHDL suddenly said to someone that their wife was ugly. This looks terrible without context, but here is the context, which you did not originally provide:
He followed that by saying that “long-lasting marriages are not based on external beauty, but on internal beauty.”

He poked fun at himself with an anecdote about the time he told a friend that his wife “wasn’t very attractive.”

“The man told me, ‘No, she’s not very attractive on the outside, but very, very beautiful on the inside,’” he recalled.

So, it was a conversation between two friends. I can recall things said to friends or said by friends, that if retold without a context to a wider audience would sound shocking, but when proper context is understood, between the friends, it was quite alright.

Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Norwegian wrote:You see, the way you presented it, was as if HHDL suddenly said to someone that their wife was ugly. This looks terrible without context, but here is the context, which you did not originally provide:
He followed that by saying that “long-lasting marriages are not based on external beauty, but on internal beauty.”

So, it was a conversation between two friends. I can recall things said to friends or said by friends, that if retold without a context to a wider audience would sound shocking, but when proper context is understood, between the friends, it was quite alright.
Okay. I already know the context so it didn't appear to me to be upsetting. Thank you.

zPatrick

Post by zPatrick » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:20 am

The Dalai Lama knows the unfortunate state of humanity that women are judged by their appearances.

It is shameful that society is this way, and the Dalai Lama is drawing attention to this without being confrontational.

From what I have heard, the Dalai Lama has made a habit of telling off sexists and pushing Buddhist universities to enroll women for the Geshe degree.

Caodemarte

Re: Femxale Dalai Lama must be pretty

Post by Caodemarte » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:37 am

It's pretty clear that the Dalai Lama does not mean this very seriously.