POTUS 2016, part 2

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton
54%
Donald Trump
46%

Total votes: 41

smcj

Re: POTUS 2016, part 2

Post by smcj » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:37 am

Just remember that the people who voted for Ralph Nader instead of Gore are responsible for the Bush 43 years.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:44 am

smcj wrote:Just remember that the people who voted for Ralph Nader instead of Gore are responsible for the Bush 43 years.
Right. but not all those people who actually voted for Bush.

I hate that argument.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:00 am

Queequeg wrote:
smcj wrote:Just remember that the people who voted for Ralph Nader instead of Gore are responsible for the Bush 43 years.

I hate that argument.
The people that voted for Bush got what the wanted. The people that voted for Nader wanted to be cute and thought their vote didn't matter. Well it did matter and it wasn't cute, hence there's a lesson to be learned for those people. The Bush voters, well... :shrug:
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:03 am

I just got a ballot today. Some wacky parties on there. "Holistic party" lol.
paedicabo te et irrumabo :guns:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:18 am

smcj wrote:
Queequeg wrote:

I hate that argument.
The people that voted for Bush got what the wanted. The people that voted for Nader wanted to be cute and thought their vote didn't matter. Well it did matter and it wasn't cute, hence there's a lesson to be learned for those people. The Bush voters, well... :shrug:
Or, as in my case, I wasn't going to vote otherwise.

Point is, that logic is fear mongering and maybe we're stuck with the choice of a crook and a buffoon because everyone buys into this narrative.

We gotta change that.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:07 pm

It doesn't seem likely to me, or even possible, that disorganized protest votes or abstentions could ever move the needle toward reforming or weakening the 2-party system. With fewer meaningful votes cast, the back-room gerrymanderers and vote-calculators of the ruling class simply have an easier job of manipulating the outcome; it will not stimulate anyone in power to initiate or support reform. The system is broken, the choices suck, but "throwing away" one's vote, IMO, does nothing but strengthen the status quo.

There would need to be a focal point with grassroots momentum and good organization to rally a realistic independent bid. Bernie might possibly have morphed into that, but that moment is lost. I get the problem with Clinton, but I feel I've got to vote against Trump anyway -- and that, unfortunately, means for Clinton.

Speaking of voting, maybe it's time for "POTUS 2016, part 3" with a new survey: Clinton; Trump; Other; Neither.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Myoho-Nameless wrote:I just got a ballot today. Some wacky parties on there. "Holistic party" lol.
That must be a survey? It's too early to get the November ballots, Hillary hasn't chosen a VP yet, nor have they been "officially" nominated.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Jeff H wrote: Speaking of voting, maybe it's time for "POTUS 2016, part 3" with a new survey: Clinton; Trump; Other; Neither.
Correct, POTUS, part 3 will be the final act. I'm waiting for Hillary to choose her VP running mate. That way the survey can list the Dem candidates, the Rep. candidates, Libertarian, and Green. All running mates have been chosen for the 2 major parties and 2 minor parties, except for Hillary's choice, which we're waiting on now.

mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:33 pm

I've always had an unusually low view of politics and politicians, but when I see the choices you now have in the US, the ones we have here in South Africa, or pretty much worldwide, I can just shake my head and confirm my intense dislike for the political circus. I would laugh at the clowns if the consequences of their antics weren't so disastrous.
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:01 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
Myoho-Nameless wrote:I just got a ballot today. Some wacky parties on there. "Holistic party" lol.
That must be a survey? It's too early to get the November ballots, Hillary hasn't chosen a VP yet, nor have they been "officially" nominated.
It says ballot. Though I don't think its the "final word".

Its all state level stuff plus senators and representatives. We vote for more positions here in Wash, from Governor to dog catcher. And I think more often.

Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:07 pm

smcj wrote: hence there's a lesson to be learned for those people.
What lesson should people who vote democrat learn?

Democrats are poorly behaved chihuahuas. They are small and non threatening, and cute. So we don't bap them on the nose or tss! at them when they misbehave. We don't hold them to the same standard we do a pit bull/republican. We think democrats are for the underdogs, we think they care about the poor, we think they are for the children, we think they are anti war. If Obama was a republican (and white), there would be WAY more drama over the all the drone business, and pretty much everything.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Part 3 has started, continue the discussion and voting here:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23179

Return to “News & Current Events”