Germany is Germany!

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
dreambow

Germany is Germany!

Post by dreambow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:06 am

BERLIN:
"The Dalai Lama said in an interview published Thursday that Europe has accepted “too many” refugees, and that they should eventually return to help rebuild their home countries.
“When we look into the face of every single refugee, especially the children and women, we can feel their suffering,” said the Tibetan spiritual leader, who has himself lived in exile for over half a century.
“A human being who is a bit more fortunate has the duty to help them. On the other hand, there are too many now,” he said, according to the German translation of the interview in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.
“Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country,” he added with a laugh, the daily reported. “Germany is Germany"

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Germany is Germany!

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:17 am

It is always good practice to make it clear that your quotations are quotations and to provide sources for them. :thinking:
That's all over the loony-right media, naturally, but where in particular did you find it, dreambow?
And have you checked what HHDL actually thinks about the quote? It wouldn't surprise me at all if he feels he has been misquoted.

:namaste:
Kim

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:20 am

I would certainly hope he has been misquoted. However H.H. has many admirable qualities, but political nous is not always among them.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

dreambow

Post by dreambow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:06 am

Kim Ohara, I found the article in the Sydney Morning Herald....I'm not sure if it was carried in the Murdoch papers?

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:36 am

Some links:

http://www.thelocal.de/20160531/dalai-l ... -in-europe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... o-germany/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rants.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 58911.html
http://www.ibtimes.com/refugee-crisis-e ... eu-2376054
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016 ... y-refugees
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/europe ... es-n583701
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/wo ... urope.html
http://www.albawaba.com/loop/dalai-lama ... try-846790
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/31/the-d ... b-country/
http://www.inquisitr.com/3153606/warnin ... b-country/
https://www.rt.com/news/344983-dalai-la ... ee-crisis/

And the original German article: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inte ... 60431.html

Relevant portions run through Google Translate:
"Refugees should only be on a temporary basis"
- The 14th Dalai Lama finds the refugee crisis unexpected words: It had fled so many people that it would be difficult in practice. Germany could be no Arab country. -- Author: Till Fähnders, political correspondent for Southeast Asia.

- Your Holiness, you are traveling a lot around the world. Do you actually have a passport?

The Indian government gives us a registration certificate, which allows us to live in India. Those who want to leave can apply for an identity certificate. This is a travel document that states that you are a Tibetan refugee who lives in India. Normally this is no problem, only some countries do not accept this certificate and give us a visa.

- That is, you are after all these years still a fugitive. How do you feel about the current refugee crisis in Europe?

If we look into the face of each individual refugee, especially the children and women, we feel their suffering. A person that is doing a little better, has a responsibility to help them. On the other hand, there are now too many. Europe, for example, Germany, can be no Arab country. Germany is Germany. (Laughs) There are so many that it is difficult in practice. Also seen morally I find that these refugees should be only a temporary basis. The goal should be to return and help rebuild their own countries.

- In Europe there is an increasingly Islamophobic sentiment. How do you rate it?

There are Muslim individuals and small groups who kill each other in their own countries. Shiites, Sunnis. They do not represent the entire Islam and all Muslims. Love is the core message, even in Islam in every religion. Malicious people there are among the Buddhists, Christians, Jews and Hindus. Only due to some sad events emanating from a small number of Muslims, we should not condemn the entire Muslim world.
This for what it's worth is not the first time HHDL has commented on this issue. Here, from September 2015:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... risis.html

mossy

Post by mossy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:20 am

well, he is right. Germany has taken in far too many of them. i think they just had another mass sexual assault during some music festival.

MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:29 am

What's so objectionable about his statement?

There are indeed too many and Europe has not been able to manage all of them.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 pm

MiphamFan wrote:What's so objectionable about his statement?

Well, if there was a little bit more compassion, there were not too many yet.
Those, who welcome less refugees complain the most.

But HHDL seems to have spoken more in general. I don't know.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 pm

mossy wrote:well, he is right. Germany has taken in far too many of them. i think they just had another mass sexual assault during some music festival.
What do you mean "another" mass sexual assault? There was no real evidence of a mass sexual assault in the first instance. Apart from the "normal" spate of sexual assaults that happen at German New Years gatherings (yes, that's right, Germans are rapists too) the "evidence" presented of a mass assault, was proven to be fabricated.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:48 pm

MiphamFan wrote:What's so objectionable about his statement?

Germany (a large, wealthy, resource rich and highly organised country) has absorbed some 800,000 refugees from the current wave. That is one refugee for every 800 citizens. Greece (a small, poor and ruined country) has absorbed some 50,000 refugees from the current wave, and more are (still) arriving every day (albeit at a lesser rate than last year). That is one refugee for every 250 citizens.

Tell you what Germany has too many of: heartless RACISTS, that is what it has too many of.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:...
Tell you what Germany has too many of: heartless RACISTS, that is what it has too many of.
I agree.
The rightist party AFD ("Alternative for Germany") got 25% of the votes in a regional election lately. This means 75% didn't vote for them - but anyhow this are too many votes for that party.

Iconodule

Post by Iconodule » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Texas is Mexico!

In all seriousness, nationalism is dumb.
Enter eagerly into the treasure house that lies within you, and so you will see the treasure house of heaven. For the two are the same, and there is but on single entry to them both. The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - Saint Isaac of Syria

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:29 pm

H.H. does have a penchant for Foot-In-Mouth syndrome.
His remarks on this issue will be misused deliberately by some, and misunderstood by many more..schtum would have been a better option.

Some will remember his outraging the Gay Buddhist Community with some ill-advised musings a few years back.
And then making things worse by his attempt at pouring oil on troubled waters when members of that community confronted him.

Avuncular chuckles only take you so far...

Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Simon E. wrote:H.H. does have a penchant for Foot-In-Mouth syndrome.
His remarks on this issue will be misused deliberately by some, and misunderstood by many more..schtum would have been a better option.

Some will remember his outraging the Gay Buddhist Community with some ill-advised musings a few years back.
And then making things worse by his attempt at pouring oil on troubled waters when members of that community confronted him.

...further than condescending prattle from an addle-pated English senior citizen, clearly.

I think HH knows a thing or two about refugees, in his 57th year in exile. Most refugees want nothing more than to return home to rebuild their homes and former lives once it is safe to do so, just as most Tibetans do.
Last edited by Karma Dorje on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Karma Dorje wrote:

...further than condescending prattle from an adle-pated English senior citizen, clearly.

I think HH knows a thing or two about refugees, in his 57th year in exile. Most refugees want nothing more than to return home to rebuild their homes and former lives once it is safe to do so, just as most Tibetans do.
Indeed! The conclusion of the argument is sound, his approach to it was completely atrocious though.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:36 pm

Karma Dorje wrote:

...further than condescending prattle from an adle-pated English senior citizen, clearly.

That's ADDLE. I am an ADDLE-pated condescending, prattling, English senior citizen. :namaste:

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:39 pm

I wouldn't recognise an addlepated individual even if they were to amble up to me and babble incoherent and senseless nonsense... :tongue:

Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Iconodule wrote: Please. Do you think the anti-refugee rightists give a damn about whether it's safe for the refugees to go back? Because those are the people these remarks are feeding.

What surprises me is that people still go for political advice to the ex-theocrat of a feudal slave state.
Please. Do you think I give a damn about your war of words with the right wing? Last time I checked, European bigotry did not rely on the opinion of exiled Buddhist monks for its nourishment. HHDL was asked his opinion and gave it. I don't think he said anything outrageous. You on the other hand with your comment about Tibet... Ask Tibetans if they would rather live under the boot of Han fascists or ruled by those you dismiss as theocrats and feudal lords.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:

That's ADDLE. I am an ADDLE-pated condescending, prattling, English senior citizen. :namaste:
Right you are. Corrected for posterity.
-Padmasambhava

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Since I had to remove another post, I would like to point out now that writing respectless about His Holiness the Dalai Lama is not welcome at DW and disparaging him is not allowed.

Return to “News & Current Events”