POTUS 2016, part 3

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
36%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
18%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
8%
Jill Stein (Green)
38%

Total votes: 77

DNS
Site Admin

POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by DNS » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Okay here is the final installment, the final act, POTUS 2016, part 3. I thought Jill Stein already chose her running mate, but see it will not be until next month. Hillary Clinton will probably announce her selection later this week, so might as well go and do the final poll for POTUS. You can change your vote if you want to if the running mate changes anything for you.

As before, non-Americans can choose who they would like to see win.

DNS
Site Admin

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by DNS » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:37 pm

A man is lying in a hospital bed, having been in a coma for the past 20 years. He wakes up and asks "what year is this?" Answer: 2016. He then asks, "who are the candidates for president?"

Answer: An ex-intern's former boyfriend's wife versus Donald Trump. The patient says "good God, is there any other choice?"
Answer: The Libertarian candidate who just announced he hasn't had any marijuana in 3 weeks now.
Patient: "Good night!" and goes back to his coma.

:mrgreen:

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:54 am

Republican Platform:

phpBB [video]

Kevin

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:41 pm

Jill Stein's message is inspiring. But can anyone tell me why Sanders endorsed Clinton rather than Stein? He had the groundswell she needs, but instead of using it to further the revolution, he threw it to the dark side. Why? And given that he popped their mutual balloon, how can anyone realistically expect Stein to be a viable challenger to the system?
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Jeff H wrote:But can anyone tell me why Sanders endorsed Clinton rather than Stein? He had the groundswell she needs, but instead of using it to further the revolution, he threw it to the dark side. Why?
Once Clinton has got the nomination, it is either her or Trump -- there is probably no chance of Stein winning the elections, much as I would like it to happen. If Sanders supported Stein, he would surely take some votes away from Clinton -- which could be construed as him effectively helping Trump.

And Trump may prove the greater of the two evils. Or so Sanders seems to think. Not necessarily a mistaken belief, if you ask me. All the same, I am really happy these days I am not a Yankee. I cannot imagine myself voting for Clinton.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Okay here is the final installment, the final act, POTUS 2016, part 3. I thought Jill Stein already chose her running mate, but see it will not be until next month. Hillary Clinton will probably announce her selection later this week, so might as well go and do the final poll for POTUS. You can change your vote if you want to if the running mate changes anything for you.

As before, non-Americans can choose who they would like to see win.
I think you should re-apply to be a colony. We could not do worse than Clinton/Trump.
Boris could be Governer.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Simon E. wrote: I think you should re-apply to be a colony. We could not do worse than Clinton/Trump.
Boris could be Governer.
Boris is much worse than Clinton.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:35 pm

kirtu wrote:
Simon E. wrote: I think you should re-apply to be a colony. We could not do worse than Clinton/Trump.
Boris could be Governer.

Kirt
Indeed.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:44 pm

kirtu wrote:
Boris could be Governer.

Kirt
I was jesting. Fairly obviously I would have thought.
Although Boris's description of H.C. as ' a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital' has a certain ring to it.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:33 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
kirtu wrote:
Boris could be Governer.

Kirt
Indeed.
God bless you, dzogchungpa, for making me spout rooibos all over the keyboard. And more than once, too.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:43 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:God bless you, dzogchungpa, for making me spout rooibos all over the keyboard. And more than once, too.
I endeavour to give satisfaction, sir.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:11 pm

If the electorate were this forum, the hippieocracy would be immanentized in a landslide. That freak flag would be waving high in its tie-dyed glory!
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Rakz

Post by Rakz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Amazing speech by Rudy Giuliani last night at the Republican convention. Gave me goosebumps.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Rakz wrote:Amazing speech by Rudy Giuliani last night at the Republican convention. Gave me goosebumps.
Nearly complete demagoguery although I would have predicted that beforehand. But was that Petey Bush in the crowd?

As a person of mixed racial heritage (although I do look like the whitest man alive and have been declared so by numerous people [which just shows the essentially fascist nature of American racial trauma - you must adhere to the label that we give you]), when I hear the phrase "one America" this signals to me that minority issues are going to be suppressed once again. I know to majoritarian people it sounds like some kind of a call to unity. But time and again it really means the suppression at best of other people's interests. The US needs to be the inclusive country is claims to be.

"We must not be afraid to define our enemy." To me this sounds like
girl_star_david.jpg
girl_star_david.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Secondly, saying "Islamism extremist terrorism" and saying "you know who you are" is inflammatory. The Sikh grandfather driving a taxicab looks like a terrorist to some of the people in the convention hall.

And "We're coming to get you." can take many different forms, all of them generally bad. This means doubling down on American knee-jerk ignorance like a bull in a china shop. The facts are that Americans and Westerners really don't know enough about the political issues in the Middle East and the pressures amoungst people (usually disenfranchised people) in "Muslim ghettos" in Europe to determine a safe course of action (actually - that is not entirely true - France and Belgium could invent a time machine and go back and fix their 50+ yeas of internal discrimination and in fact many problems in the Middle East [but now not the majority] would be solved with a peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian problem which itself could begin to be solved with unilateral action by the US in really economically developing the Palestinian territories).

So I suppose Giuliani has in mind another war (or more correctly another phase to the eternal war waged by Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama, the actual jobs plan for both the Republican and Democratic parties).

This is a difficult thing because the drug, sex and murder cult that calls itself ISIS really does have to be eliminated an probably that means real military action. But much of their support and the pipeline of killers from Europe an other places could be cut just by improving social conditions. And this would undercut the larger set of terrorist insurgencies as well.

phpBB [video]

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Rakz wrote:Amazing speech by Rudy Giuliani last night at the Republican convention. Gave me goosebumps.
If Trump is elected and Il Duce Guiliani gets a cabinet position, you'll be doing the goosestep.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Really? I found this one much more goosebump-inducing:

phpBB [video]

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:12 pm

Yes Melanias canned plagarism was amazing too. :thinking:

Really the whole thing was a big joke, leave it to the present Trumpian GOP to somehow make the Democrats look good.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:14 pm

kirtu wrote:whitest man alive
You mean you look like Napoleon Dynamite?

phpBB [video]
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:17 pm

LOLZ, really? Because, why? He was so emotive? So passionate?

So...wrong?
He was short on specifics, but he still managed to mislead on a few issues.
Here are a few corrections to the stupidity on plain view.

http://politifact.com/florida/statement ... n-open-bo/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... ing-crime/

The RNC is nothing more than a stunt to spew xenophobic, knee-jerk Nationalist, whip-'em-into-a-froth untruths. It would be pure comedy gold, except....it's not.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Queequeg wrote:
kirtu wrote:whitest man alive
You mean you look like Napoleon Dynamite?

phpBB [video]
I mean that race is Americans original sin and people around me compulsively define me and label me. At least Germans asked first (for example I was asked several times if I was Jewish after a night out in Munich or Koeln when people saw that I was circumcised).

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “News & Current Events”