POTUS 2016, part 3

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
36%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
18%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
8%
Jill Stein (Green)
38%

Total votes: 77

Malcolm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Malcolm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:43 pm

The Cicada wrote:
DGA wrote:And no, neither Monsanto nor the Rockefeller family nor the New World Order is paying me to plant false flags.

seriously tho wake up sheeple. jet fuel doesn't melt vaccines or flouride or whatever.
Sounds like disinformation to distract from Obama's secret "Chocolate Rain" project that is injecting our water supply with RNA sequences to alter our genes.

Oh yeah, here it is:

phpBB [video]
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 am

DGA wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:the snopes article did not debunk anything..the most it said was that the clinton campaign denied it....and they have been sooo honest with us in the past :rolling:
it debunks the bizarro notion that she's some kind of terrorist sympathizer.

instead, it suggests that she's had the kind of life in which her family are able to puff up her credentials by claiming she's done work that she hasn't done, such as editing that journal.

she may be a trustafarian, but there's no evidence she's a terrorist.
Neither myself or the article said terrorist...however, she does in fact have ties to the muslim brotherhood/saudi arabia who are responsible for setting up wahhabist mosques all over the world with the idea of destroying western culture
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:the snopes article did not debunk anything..the most it said was that the clinton campaign denied it....and they have been sooo honest with us in the past :rolling:
OMG, Clinton is going to bring Sharia Law to America!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
really Malcolm? a strawman argument? seriously? At least when it comes to Buddhadharma you are always able to back yourself with citations etc...maybe you should stick with that?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:21 am

Fa Dao wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
OMG, Clinton is going to bring Sharia Law to America!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
really Malcolm? a strawman argument? seriously? At least when it comes to Buddhadharma you are always able to back yourself with citations etc...maybe you should stick with that?
You have loudly broadcast your anxiety about and prejudice against Muslms. In my opinion practitioners of Buddhadharma should be above such sectarian anxiety and prejudice.If I did not know better I would peg you as a Trumpista.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am

Actually I voted for Bernie (and will probably try to write him in)..for the most part I think Trump is a dodo...just not convinced that he is the lesser of two evils...not convinced he isnt either for that matter...just think that Hillary has gotten a free pass for far too long.
Was not aware that islam was a "sect" of Buddhadharma....do I have some concerns about all of the bombings, beheadings, shootings, throwing people off of rooftops, stabbings, stonings etc etc that are going on all over the world in the name of islam? Yep, you bet I do! Dont you??? Do I have anything against individual muslims? NOPE! As I have said so MANY times before..I dont have a problem with individual muslims...I do have a problem with some of the totalitarian ideology that is laced throughout the dcotrines of islam as well as all of the world leaders repeating the tired old phrase every time yet another atrocity happens in the name of islam..."Nothing to do with islam". Islamophobia is a ridiculous word created by the muslim brotherhood to deflect any and all critical discussion about the horrific doctrine that is islam. And by the way...it doesnt make one a "racist" for questioning and trying to discuss the "teachings" found in islam....what race is islam? Wake up people...pull your heads out of the PC sand...I think Voltaire said it best..
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:51 am

You think Muslims "rule over us"? If you actually think that, you are simply deluded. There are real voices out there speaking out against the regressive attitudes towards this issue, Majid Nawaz (a Muslim btw) for example. Funnily enough even though he's devoted a chunk of his life now to fighting Islamic fundamentalism, sure as shit, someone who thinks like you do about Islam ( that's it's some some monolithic force) gets on his FB page and accuses him of being a "plant" for the Muslim Brotherhood or some such nonsense. Can't win I guess.

It's true that this issue does *not* get dealt with in a good way, the public conversation around it is terrible and juvenile, and it needs to change. However, that does not excuse shoddy-ass thinking and reliance on conspiratorial nonsense, that's just intellectual laziness, or reflexive xenophobia. In your case, I can discount stupidity, because you are otherwise clearly pretty smart. So yeah, you don't even have that excuse.

I don't like or trust Hillary, but the conspiracy theories about Abedin are nonsense, and most certainly have deeply racist undertones.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/0 ... ser/212575
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:55 am

Fa Dao wrote:"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
Time out, just to say this is an excellent quote. Worth thinking about. Is it really Voltaire?

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:58 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
Time out, just to say this is an excellent quote. Worth thinking about. Is it really Voltaire?
Not exactly, no.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nazis-line

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Fa Dao wrote:just think that Hillary has gotten a free pass for far too long.
What does this even mean? One of the amazing things about this election is the blatant mysogyny with which it has been colored. While no great fan of Clinton, the unwavering mysogynistic attacks on her from the GOP have caused me to become ever more sympathetic with her. What I find increasingly amazing is that the progressive left in this country is willing to use smears against her from the far right with ever more enthusiasm and with an increasing lack of discrimination.
Was not aware that islam was a "sect" of Buddhadharma....
Buddhism is one sect, Islam is another. As practitioners of Buddhadharma we should not give into sectarian anxiety and prejudice, especially those of us who are nominally practitioners of Mahāyāna.
do I have some concerns about all of the bombings, beheadings, shootings, throwing people off of rooftops, stabbings, stonings etc etc that are going on all over the world in the name of islam? Yep, you bet I do! Dont you???
The victims of terrorist violence perpetrated by people who are nominally Muslims are overwhelming other Muslims. However, the number one killer of Muslim noncombantants remains the United States and its Western Allies. For example, 1.7 million children died as a result of US sanctions against Iraq, according to the UN.

According to the Physicians for Social Responsibility report, Body Count of the "War on Terror," 1.3 million people in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan have directly or indirectly been killed by the war on terror.

By contrast, ISIS has only managed to kill roughtly 1200 people outside of Iraq and Syria.
Do I have anything against individual muslims? NOPE! As I have said so MANY times before..I dont have a problem with individual muslims...
You have no idea how prejudiced this sounds.
I do have a problem with some of the totalitarian ideology that is laced throughout the dcotrines of islam
From where did you gain this expertise on the Qur'an? With whom did you study it? How good is your classical Arabic?
as well as all of the world leaders repeating the tired old phrase every time yet another atrocity happens in the name of islam..."Nothing to do with islam".
They are correct. The actions of so called "Muslim Terrorists" are criminal, and thus they should be tried as criminals. Their actions are not motivated by any systematic doctrine which can be found in the Qur'an.

What you and others who crow about "Radical Islamic Terrorism" fail to understand is that use of language legitimizes them as "Muslims." It is clearly a biased and discriminatory use of language. For example, in this country, people who murder people at reproductive health clinics are never identified as "Christian terrorists," and yet bombings of and shootings at reproductive health clinics continue unabated.

We never discuss Christian violence against Muslims in Africa. 60,000 Muslims fled the Central African Republic in 2014 fleeing Christian militias intent on murdering them.

And of course in this country, the righ-wing militias are gearing themselves up to persecute and murder muslims.
Islamophobia is a ridiculous word created by the muslim brotherhood to deflect any and all critical discussion about the horrific doctrine that is islam.
The term "Islamophobia" was not coined by the Muslim Brotherhood. This is yet another oft-repeated, right wing conspiracy theory. According to the OED, the "Qur'an" of all things English, the term is attested to in English as early as 1923.

The modern usage of the term finds its source in a commission established in 1996 by the Runnymede Trust, the Commission on British Muslims and Islamophobia, which published a report in 1997 entitled, Islamophobia: A Challenge for Us All. The report defines Islamophobia as, "...an outlook or world-view involving an unfounded dread and dislike of Muslims, which results in practices of exclusion and discrimination."
And by the way...it doesnt make one a "racist" for questioning and trying to discuss the "teachings" found in islam....
It certainly makes one a bigot when one does so from a position of near total ignorance about the religion of Islam. The very fact that you use scare quotes in the sentence above when describing Islamic teachings means that you have made up your mind already about a religion of which you and most Americans are wholly ignorant. In Buddhadharma, when we "question" the teachings of another school, it is done on the basis of a thorough and sympathetic critical review of those schools. Islam is deserving of no less.
what race is islam? Wake up people...pull your heads out of the PC sand...I think Voltaire said it best..
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
Its never ceases to amaze me when intelligent people uncritically pull quotes off the internet that have long been known to be penned by fascists. Basically my friend, you need to stop reading alt-right websites. It's poisoning your moral compass.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Fa Dao wrote:Actually I voted for Bernie (and will probably try to write him in)..for the most part I think Trump is a dodo...just not convinced that he is the lesser of two evils...not convinced he isnt either for that matter...just think that Hillary has gotten a free pass for far too long.
Was not aware that islam was a "sect" of Buddhadharma....do I have some concerns about all of the bombings, beheadings, shootings, throwing people off of rooftops, stabbings, stonings etc etc that are going on all over the world in the name of islam? Yep, you bet I do! Dont you??? Do I have anything against individual muslims? NOPE! As I have said so MANY times before..I dont have a problem with individual muslims...I do have a problem with some of the totalitarian ideology that is laced throughout the dcotrines of islam as well as all of the world leaders repeating the tired old phrase every time yet another atrocity happens in the name of islam..."Nothing to do with islam". Islamophobia is a ridiculous word created by the muslim brotherhood to deflect any and all critical discussion about the horrific doctrine that is islam. And by the way...it doesnt make one a "racist" for questioning and trying to discuss the "teachings" found in islam....what race is islam? Wake up people...pull your heads out of the PC sand...I think Voltaire said it best..
Why not be also equally wary about the bombings, murders, etc, and war-mongering violence done by Canada or America? I can guanarntee that at least as much violence is done in the name of America and Western nations as is done by Muslim extremists.

Try criticizing America on any national platform in America, like that football player did with his passive protest. "Simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize".
如無為、如是難見、不動、不屈、不死、無漏、覆蔭、洲渚、濟渡、依止、擁護、不流轉、離熾焰、離燒然、流通、清涼、微妙、安隱、無病、無所有、涅槃。
Like this is the uncreated, like this is that which is difficult to realize, with no moving, no bending, no dying. Utterly lacking secretions and smothered in the dark, it is the island shore. Where there is ferrying, it is the crossing. It is dependency's ceasing, it is the end of circulating transmissions. It is the exhaustion of the flame, it is the ending of the burning. Flowing openly, pure and cool, with secret subtlety, and calm occultation, lacking ailment, lacking owning, nirvāṇa.
Asaṁskṛtadharmasūtra, Sermon on the Uncreated Phenomenon, T99.224b7, Saṁyuktāgama 890

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Malcolm wrote:From where did you gain this expertise on the Qur'an? With whom did you study it? How good is your classical Arabic?
There are lots of podcasts online. If they can give me a better deal on custody I'll gladly come up with the dhimmi tax.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Try criticizing America on any national platform in America, like that football player did with his passive protest. "Simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize".
The amazing thing about football players in the NFL standing for the national anthem is that it was a "custom" that seems to have begun in 2009.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Fa Dao wrote:...the horrific doctrine that is islam.
BTYW, it is pretty hard to claim you are not a bigot when you make unqualified generalizations like this.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Fa Dao wrote:as well as all of the world leaders repeating the tired old phrase every time yet another atrocity happens in the name of islam..."Nothing to do with islam".
The Dalai Lama has said there is no such thing as a “Muslim terrorist” as anyone who partakes in violent activities is not a “genuine” Muslim...“Buddhist terrorist. Muslim terrorist. That wording is wrong,” he said. “Any person who wants to indulge in violence is no longer a genuine Buddhist or genuine Muslim, because it is a Muslim teaching that once you are involved in bloodshed, actually you are no longer a genuine practitioner of Islam.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 17001.html
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:30 pm

DGA wrote:
tingdzin wrote:
Not exactly, no.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nazis-line
cool...did not know that..

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:Canada
The greatest threat to western civilization for some time now.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:23 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:Canada
The greatest threat to western civilization for some time now.
Well we do have the worst environmental record of any industrialized western nation and show no signs of changing despite promises from our underwear model Prime Minister. We are engaged in adding more leaven to the Syrian conflict to this day. And we are a huge exporter of oil from Alberta. I would say Canada isn't exactly the best for Western civilization. We're bad, we just don't get press about it, and consequently seem squeaky-clean to American liberals.
如無為、如是難見、不動、不屈、不死、無漏、覆蔭、洲渚、濟渡、依止、擁護、不流轉、離熾焰、離燒然、流通、清涼、微妙、安隱、無病、無所有、涅槃。
Like this is the uncreated, like this is that which is difficult to realize, with no moving, no bending, no dying. Utterly lacking secretions and smothered in the dark, it is the island shore. Where there is ferrying, it is the crossing. It is dependency's ceasing, it is the end of circulating transmissions. It is the exhaustion of the flame, it is the ending of the burning. Flowing openly, pure and cool, with secret subtlety, and calm occultation, lacking ailment, lacking owning, nirvāṇa.
Asaṁskṛtadharmasūtra, Sermon on the Uncreated Phenomenon, T99.224b7, Saṁyuktāgama 890

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:We're bad, we just don't get press about it, and consequently seem squeaky-clean to American liberals.
Perhaps you should apologize about it.

(That was a joke).
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:28 pm

I haven't been following this thread recently. I just wanted to say how impressed I am with Jill Stein! She is perhaps the most ethical American presidential candidate I have ever seen!

phpBB [video]

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Luke wrote:I haven't been following this thread recently. I just wanted to say how impressed I am with Jill Stein! She is perhaps the most ethical American presidential candidate I have ever seen!
Oh hardly, she owns stock in Merck (think Vioxx) and Home Depot (think union-busting). Moreover, like many others on the progressive left, she regularly repeats falsehoods which originate from the far-right.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Return to “News & Current Events”