POTUS 2016, part 3

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
36%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
18%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
8%
Jill Stein (Green)
38%

Total votes: 77

Fa Dao

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:38 am

I found this to be a thought provoking video in line with some of the discussions in this thread....please, no knee-jerk reactions from either side..
thoughts?
phpBB [video]
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Fa Dao wrote:I found this to be a thought provoking video in line with some of the discussions in this thread....please, no knee-jerk reactions from either side..
thoughts?
phpBB [video]

White privilege is not about income. It's about the fact that white Americans (excluding Jews) run virtually no risk of having their civil rights systematically violated.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Fa Dao wrote:I found this to be a thought provoking video in line with some of the discussions in this thread....please, no knee-jerk reactions from either side..
thoughts?
This young man is an undergraduate at McMaster University in Canada. His ideas don't correspond to the situation in the US, but I can see why the far right would put him in front of a camera to talk about these issues. See also: Watts, JC; Carson, Ben; Cain, Herman.

Speaking very generally, if you look at questions of race through the lens of economic history, you will see that the two are impossible to disentangle. See:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php? ... 0674076068

justsit

Post by justsit » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Malcolm wrote:White privilege is not about income. It's about the fact that white Americans (excluding Jews) run virtually no risk of having their civil rights systematically violated.
Exactly.
White privilege means being able to walk down a street or enter a store or offer someone help without automatically being suspect. "Walking while black" in the wrong place or at the wrong time can get a person shot.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:21 pm

DGA wrote:
thoughts?
This young man is an undergraduate at McMaster University in Canada. His ideas don't correspond to the situation in the US, but I can see why the far right would put him in front of a camera to talk about these issues. See also: Watts, JC; Carson, Ben; Cain, Herman.

Speaking very generally, if you look at questions of race through the lens of economic history, you will see that the two are impossible to disentangle. See:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php? ... 0674076068

" Dude,A Black guy thinks White Privilege doesn't exist, I KNEW it wasn't real....#ComplacencyValidated"
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:26 pm

stumbled across it on youtube...watched it..found it interesting and thought I'd share it simply as an alternative narrative....sick to death of the far right AND the far left....both are about the same in my book...and both have the arrogant attitude that they know whats best for the majority of regular people in the middle...
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Fa Dao wrote:stumbled across it on youtube...watched it..found it interesting and thought I'd share it simply as an alternative narrative....sick to death of the far right AND the far left....both are about the same in my book...and both have the arrogant attitude that they know whats best for the majority of regular people in the middle...

The focus on income in the video is silly, as Malcolm mentioned. Some of the areas where White Privilege are most notable are things like civil rights and liberties, the % of people incarcerated etc. Scenario 1: I get arrested on coke, Scenario 2: a black guy gets arrested on coke. Even knowing no other circumstances, the second one is far more likely to end up with extremely punitive measures taken.

A better critique of the notion of White Privilege is that it does not take class into account, which is actually big determinant (maybe the biggest) in any kind of "privilege".
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Fa Dao wrote:stumbled across it on youtube...watched it..found it interesting and thought I'd share it simply as an alternative narrative....sick to death of the far right AND the far left....both are about the same in my book...and both have the arrogant attitude that they know whats best for the majority of regular people in the middle...
All I know is that white men do not have their civil rights systematically violated, unlike Women, People of Color, Native Americans, and LGBT people.

Quay

Post by Quay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Malcolm wrote:
All I know is that white men do not have their civil rights systematically violated, unlike Women, People of Color, Native Americans, and LGBT people.
That would indeed seem to me to be the most succinct definition of white privilege. Class and income might factor secondarily, but it really is about what doesn't happen to a group of people on a regular basis as opposed to pretty much everyone else.
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:51 am

As you can see from the response here, his voice doesn't matter. Only educated white people can declare white privilege—or any other social phenomenon in the world—valid or invalid...

At least, as far as most of the contributors here are concerned...

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:05 am

The Cicada wrote:
As you can see from the response here, his voice doesn't matter. Only educated white people can declare white privilege—or any other social phenomenon in the world—valid or invalid...

Naw, I listen to a plurality of voices on it. I do not for a single moment believe that a person is informed politically or makes good arguments simply by virtue of them being from an ethnic (or otherwise) minority. Plenty of total nonsense from non-white people, gay people etc. too. However, it's not unreasonable to think that the commentator in the piece -was- chosen for his ethnicity based on the premise that (likely conservative white) people will accept arguments on race based on something like: "he's black so he must be representative of what other blacks really think, how convenient that it reinforces things I already believe".

-James Low

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:24 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
The Cicada wrote:

Naw, I listen to a plurality of voices on it. I do not for a single moment believe that a person is informed politically or makes good arguments simply by virtue of them being from an ethnic (or otherwise) minority. Plenty of total nonsense from non-white people, gay people etc. too. However, it's not unreasonable to think that the commentator in the piece -was- chosen for his ethnicity based on the premise that (likely conservative white) people will accept arguments on race based on something like: "he's black so he must be representative of what other blacks really think, how convenient that it reinforces things I already believe".
:good: There will always be Uncle Toms to make white people feel good. Milo Yiannopoulos is a fine example of a "gay Uncle Tom".
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:29 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
The Cicada wrote: As you can see from the response here, his voice doesn't matter. Only educated white people can declare white privilege—or any other social phenomenon in the world—valid or invalid...

:good: There will always be Uncle Toms to make white people feel good. Milo Yiannopoulos is a fine example of a "gay Uncle Tom".
Yep.

-James Low

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:30 am

The amazing amount of conflicts of interest Trump will have in the presidency is something I did not consider while he was campaigning. Take a look at this.

phpBB [video]

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:33 am

Virgo wrote:The amazing amount of conflicts of interest Trump will have in the presidency is something I did not consider while he was campaigning. Take a look at this.

phpBB [video]
Channeling Nixon, let's hope in more ways than one.

-James Low

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Virgo wrote:The amazing amount of conflicts of interest Trump will have in the presidency is something I did not consider while he was campaigning. Take a look at this.

phpBB [video]
Channeling Nixon, let's hope in more ways than one.
#apprenticegate
歸命本覺心法身常住妙法心蓮臺本來莊嚴三身徳三十七尊住心
城遠離因果法然具普門塵數諸三昧無邊徳海本圓滿還我頂禮心諸佛

In reverence for the root gnosis of the heart, the dharmakāya,
for the ever present good law of the heart, the lotus terrace,
for the inborn adornment of the trikāya, the thirty-seven sages dwelling in the heart,
for that which is removed from seed and fruit, the upright key to the universal gate,
for all boundless concentrations, the sea of virtue, the root perfection,
I prostrate, bowing to the hearts of all Buddhas.

胎藏金剛菩提心義略問答鈔, Treatise on the teaching of the gnostic heart of the womb and the diamond, T2397.1.470c5-8

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:58 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mongo ... SKBN13I0AV

"Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama said on Wednesday that he would visit U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, a meeting that would infuriate Beijing which views the Nobel Peace Prize-winning monk as a dangerous separatist."

"The Dalai Lama, speaking in English, brushed off some of the U.S. election campaign rhetoric.
"Sometimes I feel during election the candidate has more freedom to express. Once elected, having the responsibility, then they have to tell you their sort of vision, their works according to reality."

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:44 am

Rakz wrote:On white liberals who claim to be anti-racist:

phpBB [video]
I'm no fan of muslimism (nor any other abrahamism; nor am I particularly an fan of Trump); and even so:

(Although I wouldn't necessarily go as far to say that all white-'liberals' are foxes)

Also, there's no such thing as an "gay Uncle Tom":
I.e. when lily-white/jew-leftists—and feminists who say that they should have "control of their own bodies", even though the baby inside them is IN their body, not only part of their body—try to compare the situation of homosexuality to what Black people, Native-Americans, and the victims of the materialist-brand-of-communism have gone through, it is insulting to say the least.

I've got many views that would be considered very liberal to the average redneck; and at the same time, when conservatives say that liberal-ism (or better said extremist-liberal-ism) is an sort of mental-disorder, I wonder if they're right....

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:10 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mongo ... SKBN13I0AV

"Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama said on Wednesday that he would visit U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, a meeting that would infuriate Beijing which views the Nobel Peace Prize-winning monk as a dangerous separatist."

"The Dalai Lama, speaking in English, brushed off some of the U.S. election campaign rhetoric.
"Sometimes I feel during election the candidate has more freedom to express. Once elected, having the responsibility, then they have to tell you their sort of vision, their works according to reality."
:tongue: Yes, may it happen like this. Otherwise USA gets lost due to separatism and the world faints due to war and increasing global warming.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:49 am

He actually said a little more than that...
https://us.yahoo.com/news/dalai-lama-no ... 01928.html

Return to “News & Current Events”