Ayn Rand Sucks - Split from POTUS Part 3

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Ayn Rand Sucks - Split from POTUS Part 3

Post by Queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:09 pm

DGA wrote:
PS Ayn Rand sucks and Ryan doesn't know this, the little twerp.
Can we talk about how utterly awful Ayn Rand is?
Infuriating that people wear the fact that they have slogged through Atlas Shrugged like a badge of honor. Like they had finished Moby Dick or Ulysses. I wonder if they realize the brain damage they caused themselves. When they praise Ayn Rand I am convinced of the dementia.

Who is John Galt? Ugh.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Malcolm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Malcolm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Queequeg wrote:
DGA wrote:
Infuriating that people wear the fact that they have slogged through Atlas Shrugged like a badge of honor. Like they had finished Moby Dick or Ulysses. I wonder if they realize the brain damage they caused themselves. When they praise Ayn Rand I am convinced of the dementia.

Who is John Galt? Ugh.
Yes, reading Ayn Rand is the literary equivalent of sniffing glue.

dzogchungpa

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:30 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
DGA wrote:

Who is John Galt? Ugh.
Yes, reading Ayn Rand is the literary equivalent of sniffing glue.
Not quite as pleasurable, if I recall correctly. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Ayn Rand Sucks - Split from POTUS Part 3

Post by Queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Pick a conservative politician, look at their list of most influential books, and almost invariably, the Bible is number one, but somewhere in the top five is either Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead.

Rand Paul is named after Ayn Rand. Speaker Ryan claims that Ayn Rand is one of the most influential thinkers for him. Alan Greenspan was one of her disciples.

When I was in college, reading Ayn Rand was the kind of stuff guys on the frat quad listed as one of their intellectual bona fides.

I'm not sure if what she wrote is all that much different from Mein Kempf, ideologically, just wrapped in the colors of the free market.

If I see a young person reading her, I make a point of warning them, as I would warn someone ingesting poison.

Dagny Taggart is a preposterous character, and the fact that Ayn Rand put her out there as some sort of female role model is infuriating. Holy shit, that book pisses me off.

Goddamn I want to kick someone in the nuts.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Queequeg wrote:
John Galt, perhaps?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
John Galt, perhaps?
Yeah, goddam. Who is John Galt?!
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 pm

I don't read many authors from that time period. Only Asimov was pleasurable to dive into. People just didn't know how to write. You have to go much further back to get decent reading material, or much more recent.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:56 pm

I thought I was the only one who felt soiled by contact with Ayn Rand. Like needing to scrub ones brain with lye soap. Did she even think what would happen to the next generation? Painful.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Nemo wrote:I thought I was the only one who felt soiled by contact with Ayn Rand. Like needing to scrub ones brain with lye soap. Did she even think what would happen to the next generation? Painful.
I don't think she really cared about such things...
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:40 pm

There really should be a law against printing and distributing these books.

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:24 pm

Nemo wrote:I thought I was the only one who felt soiled by contact with Ayn Rand. Like needing to scrub ones brain with lye soap.
I think it is actually worse. Her kind of filth is so sticky you cannot really remove it unless you peel off layers and layers of your skin.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Nemo wrote:I thought I was the only one who felt soiled by contact with Ayn Rand. Like needing to scrub ones brain with lye soap. Did she even think what would happen to the next generation? Painful.
The worst a book has ever viscerally made me feel was Brett Easton Ellis' American Psycho. That was the first time I felt like I needed an enema in my skull.

Ayn Rand took a little while for me. I was probably 17 or so, so the story of heroic industrialist kind of fit into the trope you find in Homer. It was on reflection of how her ideas play out in real life that it made me feel sick. I suspect many people read her insipid stories, never realizing what's being slipped in, and those values just seep into their brains, corrupting their whole outlook. There's no horror in the books so you never get the signal to be on the defensive. Its all some sort of valorized capitalist experience. For many it takes a degree of awareness to catch what is being slipped in with the story. Especially if you're younger and don't have enough life experience to call the BS.

I remember one of those frat boys I referenced above talking about a time in his life when he became very cold and hard hearted toward people... "Yeah, I was reading a lot of Ayn Rand and Nietche, and doing a lot of cocaine..."

:x

A sort of similar effect is Oliver Stone's Wall Street. Stone intended that as a morality tale about the evils of greed. In an interview he talked about people coming up to him and instead of getting the moral of the story, they were raving about how Gordon Gecko was their hero. Probably the same types who read Rand and rave about how great a thinker she was.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Possibly of interest: http://www.darkbuddhism.com/

Don't know anything about it, it's just the first thing that comes up for Ayn Rand and Buddhism in google.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:18 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Possibly of interest: http://www.darkbuddhism.com/

Don't know anything about it, it's just the first thing that comes up for Ayn Rand and Buddhism in google.
:shock: Thanks internet, you never dissapoint.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:Possibly of interest: http://www.darkbuddhism.com/

:shock: Thanks internet, you never dissapoint.
It looks like the guy wrote a pretty good book on patent claim drafting, so he can't be all bad. :smile:

Also possibly of interest: https://tuttejiorg.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... and-altar/

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:46 am

Matthieu Ricard also seems to feel that Ayn Rand sucks:
http://www.matthieuricard.org/en/blog/p ... eat-nation

undefineable

Post by undefineable » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:10 am

Hers sounds more like an asura philosophy than a human one
Last edited by undefineable on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}

undefineable

Post by undefineable » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:10 am

Any serious counter-arguments to Rand's philosophy?
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:21 am

undefineable wrote:Any serious counter-arguments to Rand's philosophy?
Is there a philosophy to counter?

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:24 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:There really should be a law against printing and distributing these books.
Perhaps we should burn them?
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Return to “News & Current Events”