UK election: tyranny of the elderly

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
DGA
Former staff member

UK election: tyranny of the elderly

Post by DGA » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:47 pm

this is the most insightful piece I read in the lead-up to yesterday's vote.

https://jacobinmag.com/2017/06/corbyn-y ... bour-polls
A new divide has opened up in Britain,” according to a recent survey from the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), “between the young and older people. During the recession and up to 2013, people under thirty-four experienced the steepest fall in incomes and (especially for those aged sixteen to twenty-four) employment, less access to decent housing and better-paid jobs, and deepening poverty.” Young people in Britain, they said, faced “the worst economic prospects in several generations.”

Unemployment has become a generalized social issue, with nearly 12.4 percent of all young people unemployed — a figure massaged by large numbers working a handful of hours per week on zero-hours contracts or in Job Centre schemes. A slightly smaller number — 11.5 percent — are neither in any education, employment, or training, the bulk of these being distributed in former industrial areas of the North, Scotland and Wales, the inner cities, and ethnic minority communities.

The constant worry of decent housing has morphed into an increasingly bitter issue; within a decade, it is estimated that nine out of ten working-class people under the age of thirty-five will be indefinitely priced out of home ownership. Rent — particularly in London, where young people often move for work — is astonishingly expensive, depriving the overwhelming majority of any surplus cash from their wage packet. Meanwhile, mean-spirited housing benefit cuts and the lack of affordable accommodation means that thousands of Britain’s young people face the prospect of homelessness.

This situation was compounded by concerted government attacks on young people in recent years. Despite widespread direct action and a historic protest movement, tuition fees tripled to £9,000 under the Tory-Lib Dem coalition. The surprise abolition of the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) blindsided and economically crippled the prospects of working-class sixteen-to-eighteen-year-olds who relied on grant support for higher education.

In the cultural sphere, successive administrations attacked youth facilities and services with unbridled aggression, while the mass closure of sites for cultural development and expression — community centers, music venues, practice spaces, and locally funded art galleries — have taken place in order to satisfy wealthy flat owners irritated by crowds or to limit local government spending.

For young people in Britain, faced with a horizon that seems to offer only declining living standards, Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Party is a rare glimmer of light. And, accordingly, they have been its most reliable supporters.
Meanwhile, the asshole grandparents and geezers of Great Britain have consistently supported measures that kick young Britons in the teeth. Case in point: Brexit.

https://www.vox.com/2016/6/24/12025954/ ... ers-remain
This is a final middle-fingered salute to the young from the baby boomer generation. Not content with racking up insurmountable debt, not content with destroying any hopes of sustainable property prices or stable career paths, not content with enjoying the benefits of free education and generous pension schemes before burning down the ladder they climbed up, the baby boomers have left one last turd on the doorstep of the younger generation.

My generation will not enjoy the free movement to 27 different countries and the workers’ rights that rescued Britain from the "sick man of Europe" era of the 1970s. For us, there will be no golden age of economic hope and glory. UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage’s sickening elation at "independence day for the United Kingdom" (surely a joke, given the context of violent colonialism that Britain herself exported to the world over the past centuries, yet sadly deadly serious) heralds nothing but a grim forecast of turmoil.
What we have here is another instance of the Tyranny of the Elderly. Given disproportionate power, old people--more likely to be duped, scammed, and cheated than any other demographic--too often wield it in stupid ways, and since their future is short, they face fewer consequences for it. Subsequent generations have to eat the pu-pu platter served them. This is a dumb way to run the world.

Respect your elders, sure, but don't give them the keys to the castle. They'll lose those keys while giving their passport numbers and internet passwords to the nice young man who just knocked at the door... he says he's from the cable company...?

Mantrik

Re: UK election: tyranny of the elderly

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 pm

As an asshole grandparent:

I agree. there has been terrible tyranny of the elderly........many dying or barely surviving in terrible conditions for lack of proper care, others losing their homes and being abused in residential care, with many at home and in care suffering the cruelty of dementia as their bodies starve away.

Some, a little younger, have had their disability benefits 'reassessed' and withdrawn etc etc. Those who bought homes saw their 'endowment' mortgages become worthless and had to save all over again, through tough times, only to be robbed of the little they have in return for, maybe, two half-hour visits a day from a 'carer' who won't have time to even deal with their hygiene.

Meanwhile, the young can borrow all they need to get a degree qualification without having to pay it back unless they earm a good income. Most I see want several holidays a year, to go out clubbing, own the latest iPhone, and to 'live the dream' by racking up credit card debt and expecting their parents to save for them and remortgage their homes, because they 'can't save'.... and keep their lifestyle. UK youth has an 'entitlement' mentality. I see no evidence their recent vote was a selfless act of compassion for their fellow citizens.........such as the elderly.

Sure there is huge poverty but the elderly suffer most.

As for the election, Corbyn is a professional campaigner and he ran a good campaign. That is all he can do, a one trick pony.
The youth Labour vote seems mainly to have turned out in university cities, where Corbyn's bribe of scrappping student loans seems to have worked. He is a campaigner, not a manager or diplomat, and won by lying about his ability to deliver free gold bars and a Rolex watch to everyone (in one form or another). Students were idealistic suckers for his nonsense.
Theresa May was the opposite and deserves to be booted out for her stupid manifesto ......... which also promised to bash the elderly.

So yes, tyranny of the elderly from all sides.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

bodharma

Post by bodharma » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Mantrik wrote:The youth Labour vote seems mainly to have turned out in university cities
I don't know about this time, but in 2015, only 43% of young people (under-25s) turned out to vote. This is why the elderly get the government they want. They actually show up at the polling stations.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 pm

bodharma wrote:
Mantrik wrote:The youth Labour vote seems mainly to have turned out in university cities
I don't know about this time, but in 2015, only 43% of young people (under-25s) turned out to vote. This is why the elderly get the government they want. They actually show up at the polling stations.
Yes. The article and OP was grossly insulting to the elderly however.

The 2015 election didn't promise the students tens of thousands of pounds as a bribe for voting Labour. ;)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Punya

Post by Punya » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:02 pm

Yes. The article and OP was grossly insulting to the elderly however.
I found the OP's comments pretty insulting too.
...in 2015, only 43% of young people (under-25s) turned out to vote
We have a solution for that in Australia: it's called compulsory voting. And when my children complained about having to vote I pointed out that it was a privilege.
Meanwhile, the young can borrow all they need to get a degree qualification without having to pay it back unless they earn a good income. Most I see want several holidays a year, to go out clubbing, own the latest iPhone, and to 'live the dream' by racking up credit card debt and expecting their parents to save for them and remortgage their homes, because they 'can't save'.... and keep their lifestyle.
Yes, there's a bit of that going on in our household too.

I would have thought working together to solve problems rather than creating divisions was the way to go. Which is not to say I don't think the UK government (and the Australian government) shouldn't be be doing a better job of tackling unemployment and housing affordability.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “News & Current Events”