Ivanka sits in for Trump at G20

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Grigoris
Global Moderator

Ivanka sits in for Trump at G20

Post by Grigoris » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:02 pm

WTF???
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ivanka-sits- ... 33479.html
"Hamburg (AFP) - For a moment at the G20 summit on Saturday the United States was represented by another Trump, when the president's daughter Ivanka took a seat at the table of world leaders."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-40541611? ... e=facebook
"In an unusual move Ivanka Trump briefly took her father Donald's seat at a summit of world leaders on Saturday.

The US president had stepped away for a meeting with the Indonesian leader during the G20 meeting.

Ms Trump is an adviser to her father, but a leader's absence is usually covered by high-ranking officials.

A BBC correspondent at the summit said he could recall no similar precedent. There has been widespread criticism on social media.

Mr Trump returned a short while later to retake his seat between the British prime minister and the Chinese president.

Ms Trump did not seem to make any major contribution to the session on African migration and health during her father's absence."

----------

So now unelected NY socialites represent the U$ at world summits? The discussion was about African investments. I wonder if Ivanka knows that China basically owns most of Africa right now and has troops stationed in South Sudan protecting their oil investments?

Isn't it funny that it was during this discussion that most of the leaders took a break? No wonder China is doing so well in Africa!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

odysseus

Re: Ivanka sits in for Trump at G20

Post by odysseus » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Yes, it's unheard of. A world leader gives his seat to his daughter, just like that? No no, this is not convincing.
Let a man not seek for the respect of his peers, but let him seek wisdom.

-- Dhammapada

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:34 am

Our Emperor, in his infinite wisdom, is preparing his daughter to succeed his throne in 2024 after his reign has passed.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:38 pm

I was very disturbed to see that in the news, yet, not surprised! An un-Buddhist observation I made when seeing her at the summit was how much of a "resting bitch face" Ivanka has. That's a term here in the US. She always looks so mean and unfriendly.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 pm

About Trump himself: I remember Dalai Lama said something like"Who is president, this is not important." I would think there is not so much difference who is president, their power is limited. The more important thing is to find happiness and peace.

Trump may seem "crazy" but I don't think you Americans have much to fear. He cannot wreak that much havoc.

-- Dhammapada

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:34 pm

odysseus wrote:Trump may seem "crazy" but I don't think you Americans have much to fear. He cannot wreak that much havoc.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Maybe he just needs baby-sitting. Let Ananda hold his hand!

-- Dhammapada

Strive

Post by Strive » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Trump doesn't care Grigoris. He is far right dictator.

Strive

Post by Strive » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 pm

The Cicada wrote:Our Emperor, in his infinite wisdom, is preparing his daughter to succeed his throne in 2024 after his reign has passed.
I think it is the end of america with this racist and homophobic dictator. I am very sad for america.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 pm

About Trump himself: I remember Dalai Lama said something like"Who is president, this is not important." I would think there is not so much difference who is president, their power is limited. The more important thing is to find happiness and peace.

Trump may seem "crazy" but I don't think you Americans have much to fear. He cannot wreak that much havoc.
According to some "experts", the true power of the US president is in the ability to influence policy by having a mandate of the people. In Trump's case, he's shown no ability to successfully do that and few, if any, of his policies have actually been approved or passed. I guess we'll see?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 pm

Strive wrote:Trump doesn't care Grigoris. He is far right dictator.
I know Trump doesn't care, and I don't expect him to... But the American people should care, as he is making them all look like fools.

Strive

Post by Strive » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Strive wrote:Trump doesn't care Grigoris. He is far right dictator.
I know Trump doesn't care, and I don't expect him to... But the American people should care, as he is making them all look like fools.
I agree with this. I think hillary would of been much better as president. She is woman too.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:23 am

phpBB [video]

The Cicada wrote:Our Emperor, in his infinite wisdom, is preparing his daughter to succeed his throne in 2024 after his reign has passed.
my god man...i think you just might be unto something...
if he survives the next four years and is ...ugh reelected..i'll try and find this post when Ivanka runs for president...

my god man ...it's scary as hell but i think you are spot on...
The man is a blaggard.. and yet he got elected...the world trembles at the thought of this guy's next tweet let alone his legacy of leaving his daughter in charge...

we're doomed ...doomed i tell ya... and this is not sarcasm...

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Strive wrote:She is woman too.
So is Sarah Palin.
And nobody in all of Oz. No Wizard that there is or was.

Strive

Post by Strive » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 am

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Strive wrote:She is woman too.
So is Sarah Palin.
true lol but hillary has a brain

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Strive wrote:
I think it is the end of america with this racist and homophobic dictator. I am very sad for america.
Strive wrote: I agree with this. I think hillary would of been much better as president. She is woman too.
Trump isn't a homophobe. He didn't reject those who overtly are, however, during his bid for the presidency. The real issue isn't our peacemaker Trump but the disconnect between the native rural culture and globalized, cosmopolitan culture of the major cities of the US. It isn't Trump that's "homophobic," or simply not vociferously pro-gay, it's most of America that is.

Consider this: Hillary would have ramped up the importation of people from third-world countries whose native cultures are deeply sexist and homophobic, if not racist. In fact, the the other day I was in a gathering of raza and happened to glance at a woman out of the corner of my eye who was sitting with her husband. Both are relatively recent arrivals from Mexico. He immediately snapped at her, telling her to shut her legs—which weren't widely splayed—and she immediately complied, snapping them shut. From one sign, we can determine ten-thousand, as Nichiren wrote.

Trump is the perfect president for the United States because, for one, he responds appropriately to the difficulties presented to the States by peoples who respond to the largesse of our high ideals with racial and cultural tribalism. If he were Latin American, running for the presidency of a Latin American nation by promising to put the common people first and secure their livelihoods, no one would question his promises and he would likely be elected High Alpha-Male, Supreme Macho Camacho in the time it takes a bullet to ricochet once discharched in whatever direction.

The people who think that Hillary was ever a viable choice seem to be too disconnected in their thinking from the knowledge of the industrial and social infrastructure that supports their (let's face it) ultimately unsustainable lifestyles. The cities need the areas that produce our food and, to an extent, consumer goods much more than those rural areas need places like Wall Street—which might as well be the ruined Temple of the Sun to them, when it comes down to it.

Strive

Post by Strive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:38 am

The Cicada wrote:
Strive wrote:
Strive wrote: I agree with this. I think hillary would of been much better as president. She is woman too.
Trump isn't a homophobe. He didn't reject those who overtly are, however, during his bid for the presidency. The real issue isn't our peacemaker Trump but the disconnect between the native rural culture and globalized, cosmopolitan culture of the major cities of the US. It isn't Trump that's "homophobic," or simply not vociferously pro-gay, it's most of America that is.

Consider this: Hillary would have ramped up the importation of people from third-world countries whose native cultures are deeply sexist and homophobic, if not racist. In fact, the the other day I was in a gathering of raza and happened to glance at a woman out of the corner of my eye who was sitting with her husband. Both are relatively recent arrivals from Mexico. He immediately snapped at her, telling her to shut her legs—which weren't widely splayed—and she immediately complied, snapping them shut. From one sign, we can determine ten-thousand, as Nichiren wrote.

Trump is the perfect president for the United States because, for one, he responds appropriately to the difficulties presented to the States by peoples who respond to the largesse of our high ideals with racial and cultural tribalism. If he were Latin American, running for the presidency of a Latin American nation by promising to put the common people first and secure their livelihoods, no one would question his promises and he would likely be elected High Alpha-Male, Supreme Macho Camacho in the time it takes a bullet to ricochet once discharched in whatever direction.

The people who think that Hillary was ever a viable choice seem to be too disconnected in their thinking from the knowledge of the industrial and social infrastructure that supports their (let's face it) ultimately unsustainable lifestyles. The cities need the areas that produce our food and, to an extent, consumer goods much more than those rural areas need places like Wall Street—which might as well be the ruined Temple of the Sun to them, when it comes down to it.
bro ur mexican and u support trump? thats weird af lol the first thing he did in his campaign was to insult mexicans

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:45 am

The Cicada wrote: The people who think that Hillary was ever a viable choice seem to be too disconnected in their thinking from the knowledge of the industrial and social infrastructure that supports their (let's face it) ultimately unsustainable lifestyles. The cities need the areas that produce our food and, to an extent, consumer goods much more than those rural areas need places like Wall Street—which might as well be the ruined Temple of the Sun to them, when it comes down to it.

Well, I have no desire to defend HIllary specifically as that's a tall order.

However, the above is exceptionally shortsighted. Rural communities rely on the infrastructure created in state capitals and other metro areas for a TON of services, of particular relevance right now would be substance abuse treatment. You can actually expect to get bonuses right now for leaving a treatment job in the big city and going rural, because it's needed so badly. Basically, many impoverished rural communities would -even worse- off right now if not for a steady flow of money and services from nearby metro areas. That is not to say that they "owe" city dwellers, or that city dwellers do not owe them.. something, only to say that I think economically the picture you are painting is not real.

No one needs Wall Street, but we aren't given that option...however, 'wall street' is hardly responsible for the services that trickle from cities to rural areas anyway.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Strive

Post by Strive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:55 am

phpBB [video]

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:38 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Well, I have no desire to defend HIllary specifically as that's a tall order.
So we agree on this. That Hillary was ever a viable candidate was the premise that my post was written to respond to. If you agree that she is indefensible, we're just chatting in the same choir.
No one needs Wall Street
Seems like most of the convo is done. Turn to page 108 in the hymn book and let's raise our voices in song in praise of the Tathagata.
That is not to say that they "owe" city dwellers, or that city dwellers do not owe them.. something, only to say that I think economically the picture you are painting is not real.
Well, maybe I could get a bit of information from you here. Please explain to me what you think I intended to communicate here, and then I can clarify if I'm a lie or if I ain't.

:namaste: