Middle Eastern & African refugees on Lesbos

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
drodul

Middle Eastern & African refugees on Lesbos

Post by drodul » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Hope some others also saw the story on PBS News Hour yesterday about the sad situation of refugees who are stuck on the Greek island of Lesbos. Dharma Wheel's own Grigoris, who offers psychological counseling to the refugees, was interviewed and spoke of how life in the camps there is so miserable that even those who are not too traumatized before they arrive are soon traumatized by the conditions in which they must live there. So many people see little hope for a future for themselves beyond the limbo in which they're caught. Maybe news coverage will draw more attention from institutions and governments that could help. In the meantime, people like Grigoris are making a brave struggle against steep odds.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Middle Eastern & African refugees on Lesbos

Post by Grigoris » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks drodul. The news story has other people in it as well, not just me! :)

If people are interested they can watch it here:

phpBB [video]
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Yes you beat me to it Grigoris
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Absolutely, drodul. It does show the way to help -- other groups as well are able to help..

It does a lot of good for many reasons... Thank you.

:buddha2:

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Congratulations on the interview and good job taking care of those people!
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 am

:thumbsup: Good job.

Liked the video on youtube.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 am

Is it a coincidence that the usa has been in armed conflict with every country that is migrating to Lesbos,EU.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 am

Great video! Has this refugee camp been in the world news, or is PBS reporting on it internationally for the first time? I'm interested in how PBS came about the story. US media is not all bad, maybe.

As for the fact that most refugees come from countries in conflict with the US, yes, it seems true. I think if one digs deeper they'll see that past colonial history and connections (or lack thereof) also are a factor. Maybe these countries have been without the colonial associations that have afforded other refugees a way in to the EU. They're adrift and with no one to support them (as well as a very hostile attitude in the US to these refugees) they're adrift.

In my community we have a lot of immigrants from the Vietnam war, specifically Hmong people. They were welcomed here and became citizens, and still are. But things are quite different now.

Grigoris, am I off base? I wouldn't be surprised if so.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 am

Yes. . .

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:56 am

It depends on who you talk to - where you talk to, and so forth.

Walk into any Presbyterian Church and ask them how they feel about the situation -- I do not imagine you would find hostility;

Same for Episcopalians, and many others.

Simply my view. -- We could also start much simpler. I for myself, certainly do not -- neither do I believe you -- And my family, and so forth.

Let's discuss the positive, and the benefit ( -- for the refugees, and for all of us -- ), as drodul intended.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 am

joy&peace wrote:It depends on who you talk to - where you talk to, and so forth.

Walk into any Presbyterian Church and ask them how they feel about the situation -- I do not imagine you would find hostility;

Same for Episcopalians, and many others.

Simply my view. -- We could also start much simpler. I for myself, certainly do not -- neither do I believe you -- And my family, and so forth.

Let's discuss the positive, and the benefit ( -- for the refugees, and for all of us -- ), as drodul intended.

Oh,yes anything you say.We are so sorry for being real.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 am

Amanita,

Love alone overcomes ill-being.

This life is not entirely easy for all or for any -- Only when we work together for good; as friends on the spiritual path, can we achieve success in transforming this world into a better place to live.

For me, I have grown up and was raised in a very international community -- a town with a university, and so many of my classmates were from all parts of the world.

I had people in my class who were from basically every culture of the world; and from these places.

Many people are not -- were not as lucky as this , and so only got a limited view.

I was a vegetarian from a very early age -- and I did not have any television or even phone growing up - so for this and man other reasons, I enjoyed time spent alone, time spent in nature. . .

I had many interesting experiences -- I could talk about myself -- I could talk about Americans --

What I am saying is that is off-topic, and let's focus on the topic and how to benefit these people --- ---- Raise them up, in the eyes of the world,

And so forth.

With love and peace.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 am

On the point at hand. . .

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 am

It's important to see the best qualities in people, -- refugees , and so forth.

The video talks about this -- and shows about this . . . . So it's very important.

Sarva Mangalam,

With peace and good wishes for health,

May these people -- who are respectable and deserving of respect, consideration, and the world's attention,

Be cared for and treated with kindness, generosity, and respect which they deserve.

. . .

May all beings be happy, well, and at peace.

:buddha1:

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 am

Poor Joy&Peace you would be the one holding the hands with the dying blades of grass instead of telling the guy to stop mowing the lawn to short.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 am

I've answered you the best I can - with sincerity and to the best of my ability.

May all beings be happy,
Healthy,
And at peace,

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 am

amanitamusc wrote:Is it a coincidence that the usa has been in armed conflict with every country that is migrating to Lesbos,EU.
Not with every country. Syrians, Afghanis and Iraqis, yes. No surprise there. But there are people arriving here from Northern and Central African countries too, from Bangladesh, Pakistan and Iran. At one point I was (personally) looking after a family from Tibet that had landed here!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

TharpaChodron wrote:Great video! Has this refugee camp been in the world news, or is PBS reporting on it internationally for the first time? I'm interested in how PBS came about the story. US media is not all bad, maybe.

As for the fact that most refugees come from countries in conflict with the US, yes, it seems true. I think if one digs deeper they'll see that past colonial history and connections (or lack thereof) also are a factor. Maybe these countries have been without the colonial associations that have afforded other refugees a way in to the EU. They're adrift and with no one to support them (as well as a very hostile attitude in the US to these refugees) they're adrift.

In my community we have a lot of immigrants from the Vietnam war, specifically Hmong people. They were welcomed here and became citizens, and still are. But things are quite different now.

Grigoris, am I off base? I wouldn't be surprised if so.
The people that receive some of tentative legal status here in Greece are condemned to a life in slums and low wage illegal labour.

Toenail

Post by Toenail » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am

Illegal Immigration has to stop. People from active warzones should be granted asylum and go back after the conflicts are relatively pacified, but economic migrants cannot be accepted. Economic migration destroys their home countries much faster without any sort of hope and it is a burden on europe. African problems have to be solved by Africans. Development aid is obviously not working and should be stopped immediately. Giving aid and hope to people is actually elevating the problem, luring millions to the west, leaving their home countries as rotten corpses without young working people. And I say it again: Under the pretense of compassion much thoughtless harm is being done.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Toenail wrote:Illegal Immigration has to stop.
No it doesn't. Western powers meddling in other countries affairs has to stop.
People from active warzones should be granted asylum and go back after the conflicts are relatively pacified,
You have no idea what asylum entails and what are the criteria for receiving asylum. Coming from a war zone is not a necessary criteria for asylum.
...but economic migrants cannot be accepted.
Yes they should. We suck their country dry, so it is our responsibility to accept and support them.
Economic migration destroys their home countries much faster without any sort of hope and it is a burden on europe.
Europe (and the West in general) is the burden that these people carry. We are the burden, not them.
African problems have to be solved by Africans.
Ever heard about the negative effects in African nations of colonisation? Any idea about what the West had created in Northern Africa? Obviously not.
Development aid is obviously not working and should be stopped immediately.
No, development aid is working and should not be stopped.
Giving aid and hope to people is actually elevating the problem, luring millions to the west...
Come to Greece and see how much aid and hope exists in the refugee camps. Even if a person does gain asylum they are still condemned to a lifetime of living hand to mouth on state handouts or cleaning white people's toliets.
...leaving their home countries as rotten corpses without young working people.
WTF are you talking about.
And I say it again: Under the pretense of compassion much thoughtless harm is being done.
Under the pretense of speaking logically you are talking complete and utter (unsubstantiated) crap.