Myanmar Rohingya Persecution: Consolidated Thread

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Bristollad

Re: Aung San Suu Kyi denies ethnic cleansing

Post by Bristollad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:26 pm

odysseus wrote:
tiagolps wrote: Every authentic democracy has the goal of making the people happy.
Tell me where you can find it and I will go there and join you and we will be happy.
Maybe you should read what His Holiness has to say about democracy:

https://www.dalailama.com/messages/budd ... -democracy

joy&peace

Very Serious in Myanmar

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Serious Situation in Myanmar --

Who are the Rohingya and what is happening in Myanmar?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... in-myanmar

UN chief urges Myanmar to end violence as 120,000 Rohingya flee

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ce-un-says

A lot of talk about Aung San Suu Kyi has been happening -- who won a Nobel prize for work for democracy, but now appears to not be doing much or anything.

Not that all of it falls on one person of course... Still - just to mention as a factor of the situation.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Very Serious in Myanmar

Post by Grigoris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 pm

I think people are dropping a little too much blame on Aung San Suu Kyi for what is happening. While it is true that she is not really standing up against what is happening, it is still the military that controls Burma and she could be back under arrest quicker than you could say "Buddhist inspired genocide".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Grigoris wrote:I think people are dropping a little too much blame on Aung San Suu Kyi for what is happening. While it is true that she is not really standing up against what is happening, it is still the military that controls Burma and she could be back under arrest quicker than you could say "Buddhist inspired genocide".

She denies there is ethnic cleansing in Burma. What else do we need to know?
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

The knowledge imparted through the guru’s instructions that formerly was unknown (avidyā) is vidyā.

—Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle, Longchenpa.

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:47 pm

It's quite sad how buddhism gets, almost forcibly so, brought into this discussion, when it's all about ethnic division. Comment sections of the Media coverage are always something in between Muslims calling Buddhists Terrorists, or Burmese claiming Rohingya muslims to be liars.
Homage to you, blissful, virtuous and peaceful,
Enjoy the domain of the tranquil nirvana.
Fully possessing the om and the soha,
You overcome even the greatest of evils.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:21 pm

tiagolps wrote:It's quite sad how buddhism gets, almost forcibly so, brought into this discussion, when it's all about ethnic division. Comment sections of the Media coverage are always something in between Muslims calling Buddhists Terrorists, or Burmese claiming Rohingya muslims to be liars.
But it's because the "terrorist monk" Ashin Wirathu has said that it's because Islam poses a threat to Buddhism.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... in-wirathu
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
tiagolps wrote:It's quite sad how buddhism gets, almost forcibly so, brought into this discussion, when it's all about ethnic division. Comment sections of the Media coverage are always something in between Muslims calling Buddhists Terrorists, or Burmese claiming Rohingya muslims to be liars.
But it's because the "terrorist monk" Ashin Wirathu has said that it's because Islam poses a threat to Buddhism.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... in-wirathu
Ya, I know that terrible monk, It's an ethnic war turned religious war.

phpBB [video]

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Even young men --

"We are getting reports from people in Meikhtila since Wednesday that [the number] is higher. Nearly 100 people have been killed – teachers, students, shopkeepers," he said by phone. "Even young men aged eight to 14 included."

Ok so - link'd article from the one you posted, tiagolps. .

About M_

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/ ... -meikhtila

. . .

I read the article you posted.

It is indeed sad - but these are people wearing orchre robes; -- and they are Buddhist. I completely get your point -- and where you are coming from.

Denying citizenship -- food, water, and hygiene -- denying that they even exist. . . these lead to worse problems.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:48 am

Tiagolps, that's the worst case of shingles I've ever seen. I hope you are getting some help.

:offtopic:

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:54 am

tingdzin wrote:Tiagolps, that's the worst case of shingles I've ever seen. I hope you are getting some help.

:offtopic:
Don't let my fearsome appearance deceive you, I'm soft and cuddly on the inside.

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am

I do believe that it would be extremely difficult to practice any spiritual path and be involved in politics as well. To put things simply, if you want to get things done you're going to have to get your hands dirty.
I've recently been watching a t.v. series on Netflix called "buddha " and after watching it, one conclusion that I came to is that I'm glad he decided to become a spiritual master as I don't feel he would have been a very good king. I apologize if saying this upsets people and I don't mean to be rude and/or insulting towards our Lord buddha but I really do feel like this.
P.S. he was also quite revolutionary for his time, ordaining women into the order, rejecting the caste system and also accepting criminals into the order.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 pm

shaunc wrote: To put things simply, if you want to get things done you're going to have to get your hands dirty.
My own position is that as a politician, you are bound to get blood on your hands.
Let a man not seek for the respect of his peers, but let him seek wisdom.

-- Dhammapada

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:06 am

odysseus wrote:
shaunc wrote: To put things simply, if you want to get things done you're going to have to get your hands dirty.
My own position is that as a politician, you are bound to get blood on your hands.
Though I don't have a very good opinion of politicians, I don't think that it is impossible to be unconcerned with the 8 worldly dharmas, to practise the 6 perfections and be a politician - this would be my ideal for every politician! Having to be voted into office does not have to mean lying to the electorate, or supporting intentionally divisive policies i.e. the blaming of the other, however that other is demarcated, for the troubles of their constituency.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 am

shaunc wrote:I do believe that it would be extremely difficult to practice any spiritual path and be involved in politics as well.
Satanism? Free Masonry? :tongue:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

tiagolps

Post by tiagolps » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 am

phpBB [video]

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:15 am

michaelb wrote:Aung San Suu Kyi has denied there is ethnic cleansing of the Muslim minority in Myanmar.
I feel a bit disappointed with her regarding this, but I'm not sure exactly what the truth is.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39507350

What is the difference between war and ethnic cleansing ? It are only words.
I guess it is a state of war against intruders who like to have, as Bangladesh refugees, power and more in another country.
Heard they are responsible for attacks etc. like we know also in other countries (IS)
Then they would be supported by Al Qaida.

So the people in Myanmar are in a state of war with these Bangladesh refugees.
They form a state in a state and that is what the people not want from people who are "guests"
To have peace there, the state could give them that area where they live, but then there come more and more and more, and these people need also more land etc.

So it is up to a country to say yes or no to that refugee problem. Europe said yes to that and you can conclude for yourself if that caused a happy situation or an unhappy one.

In Thailand with the border of Malaysia there is a similar situation going on for many years including terrorism etc.
There they kill also muslims and vice versa , but here we say easy it are border problems and sometimes one is killed.
These muslims want more then is allowed and the local Buddhists also there do not want that. Guess it is a right of people to want or not something.

It seems to be that many muslims worldwide, immigrate to non muslim countries and then there are problems here and there.
These problems are caused mostly because of integration difficulties and cultural / religious difficulties.

Does not the matter how we see it, muslims and immigration causes direct and indirect problems, worldwide.

If non-muslims could do the same immigration strategy / politic as the muslims worldwide do, then i would say we have a balanced situation in these bi-lateral rights.

Like i go to Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Marokko etc. and built there a Buddhist Temple with monks, like the people can do easy and free in European countries.

But that is never the case, so i see only people coming out of a muslim country, going to a non muslim country and that do i see as expansion and that we call immigration (words)

Immigration is ok when i can go to Canada and have there my rights and a Canadian can come to Europe and have there also the same rights etc.

That is how it should be worldwide and as long as there is no balanced situation we get one sided development which does not solve the refuge problem.

Refuge problems like that from the muslims are not solved by immigration, they should do something in their countries and not export that problem to another country.

All in all i do not see genocide but call it war based on people who do not want something in their country.
Guess it is a right of a nation to defend and sometimes casualties are included that is logic.
But to say now genocide ? War is a better expression here, because we deal also here with terrorists and that is the most cruel form of war.
The best meditation is no meditation

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:49 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:What is the difference between war and ethnic cleansing ? It are only words.
I guess it is a state of war against intruders who like to have, as Bangladesh refugees, power and more in another country.
Heard they are responsible for attacks etc. like we know also in other countries (IS)

They form a state in a state and that is what the people not want from people who are "guests"
To have peace there, the state could give them that area where they live, but then there come more and more and more, and these people need also more land etc.
Give us a wake-up call when you stop with the unsubstaniated bullshit and actually have something intelligent and factual to state... :zzz:

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Grigoris wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:What is the difference between war and ethnic cleansing ? It are only words.

Give us a wake-up call when you stop with the unsubstaniated bullshit and actually have something intelligent and factual to state... :zzz:
Ok then lets go into "my" unsubstaniated bullshit.
I knew it already that to be busy in politics will cause sh+t because it is . :o

Then you have some good suggestions for something intelligent and factual proven statements which i can take over , because i guess, i am not well informed ?
Or should we take the plane and take a look there ?
The best meditation is no meditation

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Muslims have lives in Myanmar/Burma for centuries. As for the Rohingya, as far as I know, most were born in the country, many are there for several generations. I don't think they ask for much, but to be allowed to live peaceful lives. When one of them is suspected of involvement in a crime, the whole village is raised by angry Burmese with the army's assistance. Is this justice? It is based on distrust, jingoism and collective punishment- some of the Burmese feel that it's their country and the Rohingya have no rights at all and that they are all the same, ie bad.

Same old, same old.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:32 pm

*Sigh*

You lost my respect completely with that post kalden.