Myanmar Rohingya Persecution: Consolidated Thread

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Aung San Suu Kyi denies ethnic cleansing

Post by Grigoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Fake news images add fuel to fire in Myanmar, after more than 400 deaths
http://news.littlemag.org/2017/09/fake- ... n.html?m=1
Smith said a range of misleading footage was being shared – either unwittingly or as part of a coordinated attempt to discredit rival narratives. “Mixed in there are very large number of well-meaning people who genuinely believe the international community has got it wrong, and I think that’s the profound aspect of what’s happening among discourse in Myanmar.”
By: Rebecca Ratcliffe

Source: The Guardian
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:59 pm

joy&peace wrote:*Sigh*

You lost my respect completely with that post kalden.

Yeh that is the price for to be engaged in dirty politics where everything can be possible and many news is based on fake news, interpretations etc.

Well you could discuss my "misunderstandings" and kick me after that maybe in your dungeon

Guess i cannot sleep tonight well. :crying:

Best wishes
KY
The best meditation is no meditation

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Nope, no dungeon --

Racial discrimination is a very ugly business indeed. . .
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:38 pm

joy&peace wrote:Nope, no dungeon --

Racial discrimination is a very ugly business indeed. . .
In general i am not impressed of the muslim relgion and its radical extreme adherents.
So it is for sure not racial but more religious and its extreme radical adherents.

I have read that this would be the case in Myanmar, that muslim fanatics are supported by Al Qaida and that is a normal happening nowadays that combination.
Or must i read in the newspaper that innocent muslims are killed by extreme Buddhists ?

Who should i believe ?

Maybe i better believe you because then i save my friendship........

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:45 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:Who should i believe ?
The people telling the truth. Those backing their statements with genuine and objectively valid facts and evidence. Who else should you believe?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Grigoris wrote:
The people telling the truth. Those backing their statements with genuine and objectively valid facts and evidence. Who else should you believe?

Well then i better believe you maybe ?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 pm

kalden yungdrung wrote:
Grigoris wrote:

Well then i better believe you maybe ?
You can believe whoever you wish to, it doesn't make what you believe true though... ;)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 am

Dalai Lama expresses grief over Rohingya violence
The Tribune India
September 10 2017

http://www.tribuneindia.com/video/dalai ... 19167.html
Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has expressed his grief over the ongoing Rohingya crisis in Myanmar and urged the aggressors to follow the path of Lord Buddha and end the violence. The 14th Dalai Lama said that he wanted to let Myanmar state counsellor and Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi know that the ones who were “harassing” Rohingya Muslims should remember Lord Buddha before undertaking such violent act.
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Grigoris on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 am

Rohingya rebels call one-month Myanmar ceasefire as exodus grows
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... dus-grows/
Agence France-Presse
(Published in English by The Telegraph)
10 September 2017 • 5:10am
Rohingya militants, whose August 25 raids in Myanmar’s Rakhine State sparked an army crackdown that has seen nearly 300,000 of the Muslim minority flee to Bangladesh, on Sunday declared an immediate unilateral one-month ceasefire.

Bedraggled and exhausted Rohingya refugees have arrived in huge numbers in Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar area for over two weeks, while tens of thousands more are believed to be on the move inside Rakhine, many in desperate conditions after more than a fortnight without shelter, food and water.

A further 27,000 ethnic Rakhine Buddhists as well as Hindus have also been displaced by violence that has unfurled across the northern part of the state.
Last edited by Grigoris on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am

Myanmar: Who are the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army?

6 September 2017
BBC News
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41160679
More than 100,000 Rohingya people have fled their homes since 25 August. They are trying to escape violence, following a military counter-offensive against Rohingya militants who attacked police posts.

The insurgents claim to be acting on the behalf of Myanmar's Rohingya - but who are they?
Who are Arsa?

The Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (Arsa) operates in Rakhine state in northern Myanmar, where the mostly-Muslim Rohingya people have faced persecution. The Myanmar government has denied them citizenship and sees them as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh.

Clashes erupt periodically between ethnic groups but in the last year, an armed Rohingya insurgency has grown. Arsa, previously known by other names including Harakah al-Yaqin, has killed more than 20 police officers and members of the security forces.

On 25 August it attacked police posts in Rakhine state, killing 12 people in its biggest attack so far. In turn, this prompted a counter-insurgency clampdown from the security forces.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Thank you Grigoris.

Is it a Greek name..

:buddha2:

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I found this Politico article interesting. It traces American efforts, begun by Nixon in the early fifties, to "weaponize" Buddhism in the fight against Communism. It concludes:
This history reminds us what Buddhism is not. The Western obsession with Buddhism’s spiritual and mystical qualities has obscured the faith’s more political—and sometimes violent—past. We don’t grapple with the militant Zen Buddhists who promoted imperial Japan’s violent incursions into China as a holy war. We don’t spend too much time thinking about the Buddhist monks in Sri Lanka who blessed soldiers going to fight Tamil Tiger insurgents. And we are shocked in Myanmar today ... by the nationalist monks who spark bloody religious riots and cheer pogroms against Muslims. The lesson here isn’t that Buddhism is uniquely violent—it’s not—but that all religions, even seemingly peaceful ones, can be contorted to serve political and sometimes evil ends.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:03 pm

I found out, it was easy to find (the name)

Ah... That is interesting J.H... The takeaway is to consider one's motives.

Good. . . Also it is very interesting..

Zen in Japan was very interesting - monasteries would compete with each other, and Samurai were involved sometime.

In Japan for instance, honor has maybe (too high) an importance.. On the other hand, people are and were quiet generally..

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Although it's off topic a bit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Zen

Wiki article

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm

I think -- understanding can come when we understand others are not different than us.

treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:36 pm

"Myanmar’s military has been accused of planting landmines in the path of Rohingya Muslims fleeing violence in western Rakhine state, with Amnesty International reporting that two people were wounded on Sunday."

The rest here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... g-rohingya

Myanmar's government is quite consistent in in its efforts to implement the final solution of the Rohingya problem.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Thank you, tree.

From the article above:

'Reporters from Associated Press on the Bangladesh side of the border said they had seen an elderly woman with devastating leg wounds: one leg with the calf apparently blown off and the other also badly injured. Relatives said she had stepped on a landmine.'

:buddha2:

Difficult for sure,

It helps when we stand together:

Thank you for your compassipon and light.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:16 pm

I looked up your name :) btw.. It means watchful and alert... Grigoris that is. Cool meaning.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Here is the news.
The latest crackdown against the Muslim minority was triggered on 25 August when a Rohingya insurgent group attacked more than two dozen security sites and killed 12 people.

Militia groups, local security forces and the Burmese army responded with “clearance operations” that have forced refugees into Bangladesh and left tens of thousands more displaced inside the state.

The foreign ministry said the attacks were deliberately timed to sabotage the release of a report by the former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan advising on ways to overcome the decades-old tension between the Rohingya and Myanmar’s leaders.

Annan’s report, which also did not name the Rohingya at Aung San Suu Kyi’s request, recommended the government begin lifting long-standing restrictions on the community’s ability to participate in politics, move freely and gain citizenship.

On Sunday Bangladesh’s foreign minister accused the Burmese government of committing genocide against the Rohingya. Analysts said that AH Mahmood Ali’s language was the strongest yet from Myanmar’s neighbour, and reflected intense frustration in Dhaka at the continuing influx of Rohingya refugees.

Over the weekend the Dalai Lama became the latest Nobel peace prize laureate to speak out about the crisis, telling the Burmese forces involved in attacks on the ethnic Muslim minority to “remember Buddha”.

Ali told diplomats on Sunday that unofficial sources had put the Rohingya death toll from the latest unrest in Rakhine at about 3,000.

“The international community is saying it is a genocide. We also say it is a genocide,” Ali told reporters in Dhaka. He said the influx of refugees in the past month took the total number of Rohingya in Bangladesh to more than 700,000. “It is now a national problem,” he said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -cleansing

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:06 am

Ok, so -