Trump Tweets

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
fuki

Re: Trump Tweets

Post by fuki » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Linda, let me ask in a different way.
The chances to be affected by terrorism (in my country) is 1 in a hundred million, to be struck by lightning 1 in 11 million, to die from a fall 1 in 4900.

So who should I vote for, the paranoia hype that wants to close the borders from "terrorist threats" which in 1 in a 100 million is a good excuse to mask racism or the party who might want to do something about making the streets and homes more save for the elderly?

I'd love my paycheck to go down in order to make it better for the eldery but no one seems to care it seems.

ps I always vote for the animal party here (partij voor de dieren) :cheers:
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

fuki

Post by fuki » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Lindama wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm
fuki wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:37 pm
Lindama wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 am
. It seems ppl often vote their feelings.
And their "feelings" are often out of self-interest right?
sure, including people whose children go to bed hungry, haven't had a decent job since they lost it, are labeled as deplorable. it's ain't easy
Ofcourse that is important but thingy is usually those promises are lies anyway just to get votes, I dont understand how ppl vote for those promises while so much gets wasted on military and what not to so called "protect the country"
meldpunt seksueel misbruik in boeddhistische gemeenschappen nederland.
https://meldpuntbg.nl/

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm

out the door in 2 minutes, perhaps I'll add later.

ofc, it seems we agree, I have no prob doing everything I can to keep going, I still am retired working. it's lies upon lies upon lies. not everyone is equipped to see. then there's wishful thinking, hope against hope.... and the illusion that MY vote counts. I am seriously thinking of never voting again... seriously. the article is perhaps attempting to get us into the head (understanding) of our neighbors. It's still a political solution, but...

now, I am going to qi qong for my own self-interests... like staying strong and healthy

:heart:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 pm

fuki wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 pm
Lindama wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm
fuki wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:37 pm

And their "feelings" are often out of self-interest right?
sure, including people whose children go to bed hungry, haven't had a decent job since they lost it, are labeled as deplorable. it's ain't easy
Ofcourse that is important but thingy is usually those promises are lies anyway just to get votes, I dont understand how ppl vote for those promises while so much gets wasted on military and what not to so called "protect the country"
Isn't the real question, "how can we change the dialog?" The terms "liberal" and "conservative", I think, have become caricatures with only the vaguest designation of political position. But in that sense, the Fraser article made me more aware of how both ends of the spectrum are complicit.

For example, I have always held Bill Clinton and Barak Obama in high esteem, but that's because I like their smooth talk and demeanor, which I characterize as intelligent and "presidential". When Bush came in, his presentation grated on me in comparison to Clinton's, just as Trump's does in comparison to Obama. But when Fraser explains the neo-liberal agenda to me, I see I'm just buying into something that is not necessarily in my, or the country's, best interest. "Voting my feelings" as Linda says. Just the way I think the Trumpistas are doing. I vote Democrat = Liberal = the vaguest of hopes that this candidate might apply principles for the good of society that correspond to mine. Ridiculous.

Fraser challenges us to take advantage of this political opportunity, the "hegemonic gap". Like Sanders tried to ignite a grass-roots fire. To look past all that and forge alliances that reflect a truly beneficial way forward for the people of this country (not just the plutocracy) and all the people of the world affected by American policies. I don't know how to go about the dialog that moves in that direction, but I do know that any truly effective movement will necessarily result in a harsh response from the powers that be.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm
Minobu wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 pm

it's not really paranoia.
these people have made claim to countless acts of terrorism and threaten us daily with online propaganda about our way of life.

your math is skewed by false view of the reality of the situation.

go to people ,and teach them your math ,who lost their loved ones from some madman spousing isis propaganda whilst mowing down pedestrians as they casually walk about their city.

spew your math to the family of this tragedy

who the frak is teaching you this stuff...and for what purpose?
I agree. You can't base your own individual karma vipaka on generalities.
I am a 'frequently nearly killed' person.
IRA bomb at KIng's Cross went off while I was there, but missed me. On 3 other occasions I just missed the bombs exploding in different cities.
My car has arrived twice just seconds after fatal crashes. I have also been on a plane just minutes behind the one which crashed into the runway.
I have also been shot at and and narrowly missed.

So, I'm either a disaster magnet or the best person you could ever choose to travel with! lol :)
or you are very much protected by Buddhist Protectors who put you at the right place at the right time to learn something...

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Minobu wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm
Minobu wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 pm

it's not really paranoia.
these people have made claim to countless acts of terrorism and threaten us daily with online propaganda about our way of life.

your math is skewed by false view of the reality of the situation.

go to people ,and teach them your math ,who lost their loved ones from some madman spousing isis propaganda whilst mowing down pedestrians as they casually walk about their city.

spew your math to the family of this tragedy

who the frak is teaching you this stuff...and for what purpose?
I agree. You can't base your own individual karma vipaka on generalities.
I am a 'frequently nearly killed' person.
IRA bomb at KIng's Cross went off while I was there, but missed me. On 3 other occasions I just missed the bombs exploding in different cities.
My car has arrived twice just seconds after fatal crashes. I have also been on a plane just minutes behind the one which crashed into the runway.
I have also been shot at and and narrowly missed.

So, I'm either a disaster magnet or the best person you could ever choose to travel with! lol :)
or you are very much protected by Buddhist Protectors who put you at the right place at the right time to learn something...
Could be. Garuda has been with me since childhood, so maybe I have also had a Dharmapala looking out for me as well. I guess we all have, or we wouldn't have encountered our masters or contact like DW. :)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 am

Fuki,
as far as I'm concerned, the terrorist propaganda is exactly that. It was created in 2001 as a false flag.... indeed, we have hardly seen terrorist on US soil. Things would have been diff if we hadn't used it as an excuse for war, knowing full well it was false in terms of the attack. Bush and Cheney are war criminals, plain and simple. Not to mention the unending questions about who was responsible. We have more to fear from our own citizens. Do you know how many people are killed by toddlers who have guns that should not be in their reach? lots! The end result is that the US profited handsomely from the war as well as the opium fields in Afghanistan. A large segment of our youth was destroyed, killed or sent to prison.... the general public thinks that terrorists are the problem. As the old phrase goes: "we have met the enemy and he is us". It goes back to Pogo in the comics and the war of 1812, tho I somehow associated it with Snoopy or Charlie Brown. The sitting idiot is just another false flag.

fuki wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm
Linda, let me ask in a different way.
The chances to be affected by terrorism (in my country) is 1 in a hundred million, to be struck by lightning 1 in 11 million, to die from a fall 1 in 4900.

So who should I vote for, the paranoia hype that wants to close the borders from "terrorist threats" which in 1 in a 100 million is a good excuse to mask racism or the party who might want to do something about making the streets and homes more save for the elderly?

I'd love my paycheck to go down in order to make it better for the eldery but no one seems to care it seems.

ps I always vote for the animal party here (partij voor de dieren) :cheers:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:00 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:03 am
Lindama wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:28 am
for heavens sake, this is a classic distraction. What is happening now is not so surprising.... tragic yes, it's not his fault, he is the delusioned instrument of what is happening in this country, the time was ripe. why waste time following every silly thing, ... it's source is not hard to see. Sadly, I think we will see ruins before relief.

I've been slugging thru this article all day. Agree or disagree, it seems to me that we can see some of our complicity.

From Progressive Neoliberalism to Trump—and Beyond
https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017 ... mp-beyond/
Fantastic article, right on the money IMO.
Agreed! Though a bit long, ~20 minutes of reading time or so, well worth it. Thank you for sharing it Lindama.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Lindama wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 am
The end result is that the US profited handsomely from the war as well as the opium fields in Afghanistan.
No, we have not even come close to paying off the war in Iraq. Sure, arms dealers have made a lot of money, contractors have made a lot of money, the US, not so much.
The sitting idiot is just another false flag.
This suggests you think there is some conspiracy afoot. I would suggest to you that there is a confederacy of idiots [the GOP], but how capable they are of pulling off real conspiracy is highly questionable in my opinion.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm

After managing to make the Middle East even more toxic, I suspect Trump's next Tweet will be along the lines of the need to bomb the rogue state of Al Jazeera. I suspect his understanding of the region is about the same as that of Bush.

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Lindama wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:26 am
... As the old phrase goes: "we have met the enemy and he is us". It goes back to Pogo in the comics and the war of 1812, tho I somehow associated it with Snoopy or Charlie Brown. ...
Pogo2.jpg
Pogo2.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Pogo was talking about environmental pollution, but it applies to political and societal pollution as well, IMO.
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:34 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm
After managing to make the Middle East even more toxic, I suspect Trump's next Tweet will be along the lines of the need to bomb the rogue state of Al Jazeera. I suspect his understanding of the region is about the same as that of Bush.
Bush, at least, had the benefit of Darth Cheney.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:34 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 pm
Bush, at least, had the benefit of Darth Cheney.
When Trump runs out of relatives he'll probably appoint Putin's favourite American, Steven Seagal, as Secretary of State for Defence, as he already has handy diplomatic links with N Korea too.

Apparently, after Trump's Jerusalem stunt, the UN is about to ask its members to recognise Moscow as the official capital city of the USA. :)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Just to be clear: I did not say anything about paranoia, and I am merely going to clarify something about the condition:. Paranoia is not merely in regards to imagined threats. It can also be an exaggerated fear reaction to a previous real threat.

Yes, ISIS has made threats and acted on some of them, but in terms of statistics their threats are 99% empty, especially those aimed at Westerners. Now if you were in an ISIS controlled area in Iraq or Syria then your fear would be valid based on the volume of threats that are realised, but in the U$ believing in the reality of the threat posed by ISIS is pure paranoia. Same in Europe. It would make more sense to be scared of dying of a wasp sting.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm
Just to be clear: I did not say anything about paranoia, and I am merely going to clarify something about the condition:. Paranoia is not merely in regards to imagined threats. It can also be an exaggerated fear reaction to a previous real threat.

Yes, ISIS has made threats and acted on some of them, but in terms of statistics their threats are 99% empty, especially those aimed at Westerners. Now if you were in an ISIS controlled area in Iraq or Syria then your fear would be valid based on the volume of threats that are realised, but in the U$ believing in the reality of the threat posed by ISIS is pure paranoia. Same in Europe. It would make more sense to be scared of dying of a wasp sting.
What do you think should be done about isis?

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 pm

When one accepts that people's thoughts and actions may always be driven by emotional responses to worldly influences, and that it is hopeless:

'' Through this lack of self-recognition arise illusory thoughts and actions created by the passions. Thus various negative karmic causes are accumulated and since their maturation as effects is inevitable, one suffers bitterly, transmigrating in the six states of existence. Thus, not recognizing one's own State is the cause of transmigration, and through this cause one becomes the slave of illusions and distractions.''

Return to “News & Current Events”