The Only Capitol of Israel

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 3059
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm

It will take a few years to actually have a building for the US Embassy in Jerusalem, but the President of the US has stated as policy what Israel declared in 1950.

https://stream.org/why-it-matters/

Most religious Jews & Christians are pleased.
There is a deity within us who breathes that divine fire by which we are animated. -- Ovid

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by justsit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 pm

I'm not following this story in the news, so I have no sage comments to offer, only a question - Why does Trump get to tell another country where their capital should be? I really don't get this. There's obviously a long game here - what is it?

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 3059
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 pm

justsit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 pm
I'm not following this story in the news, so I have no sage comments to offer, only a question - Why does Trump get to tell another country where their capital should be? I really don't get this. There's obviously a long game here - what is it?
Read the link.
There is a deity within us who breathes that divine fire by which we are animated. -- Ovid

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6115
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 pm

justsit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 pm
I'm not following this story in the news, so I have no sage comments to offer, only a question - Why does Trump get to tell another country where their capital should be? I really don't get this. There's obviously a long game here - what is it?

I'm not an expert but there is a summary here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positions ... ted_States
Everything is divided
Nothing is complete
Everything looks impressive
Do not be deceived - David Byrne

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by justsit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 pm

OK, the link gives a Christian perspective. A Wiki on "Tel Aviv" points out that part of Jerusalem is claimed as the capital by the Palestinians. So this is a straight up power play/grab. Got. it.

ETA D. beat me to it.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9245
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by DGA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm


Most religious Jews & Christians are pleased.
Are you sure? How do you know?

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9245
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by DGA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 pm

The timing is straightforward. The house is on fire with regard to the Trump administration, the tax "reform" debacle that is supposed to be in reconciliation now, Roy Moore, and so on. Lots of unsavory stuff in the media. So? Produce a bright, shiny object for the cable news and, most importantly, the Trump base to be distracted by. There is a segment of the population in the US that believes this to be a step on the way to the End Times per their interpretation of the Bible, and those are the people who seem to think Trump is just great.

That it may well start yet more conflict in the middle east is a secondary concern to this administration.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27383
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Malcolm » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm
It will take a few years to actually have a building for the US Embassy in Jerusalem, but the President of the US has stated as policy what Israel declared in 1950.

https://stream.org/why-it-matters/

Most religious Jews & Christians are pleased.
Right, and he will bear the karma of the everyone who dies as a result by irresponsibly shitting 5 decades worth of US Foreign Policy. Trump is a fool, and so is every one who supports him.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4761
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by conebeckham » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm
It will take a few years to actually have a building for the US Embassy in Jerusalem, but the President of the US has stated as policy what Israel declared in 1950.

https://stream.org/why-it-matters/

Most religious Jews & Christians are pleased.
Dunno about "most," but I am especially sure the Dominionist Christians who have so influenced the American Evangelical and Fundamentalist movements are happy. This is all just further evidence of Imperialism's long tail in the history of our nation, and I doubt Trump even knows how he's being played.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 3059
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 am

Could political or personal beliefs ever overcome compassion for all our mother sentient beings? No, certainly not possible there could be any nominal Buddhists.
There is a deity within us who breathes that divine fire by which we are animated. -- Ovid

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4761
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by conebeckham » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 am
Could political or personal beliefs ever overcome compassion for all our mother sentient beings? No, certainly not possible there could be any nominal Buddhists.
If one truly possessed perfect compassion for all our mother sentient beings, there would be no personal or political beliefs to be held against such compassion. However, that does not obviate the need for appropriate action, and for the possibility of objecting to, protesting, or even contravening actions which are not beneficial to sentient beings. Theoretically, and also in Buddhist scripture, it is possible to act out of compassion in such a way that such actions may be deemed by the ignorant to be driven by political or personal beliefs.

I assume, though, that you are not arguing Trump's actions are driven by such perfect compassion.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 1869
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm
irresponsibly shitting 5 decades worth of US Foreign Policy.
As though those five decades of foreign policy have done much good.

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: The American Colosseum

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Virgo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 am



Virgo

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4761
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by conebeckham » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am
Malcolm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 pm
irresponsibly shitting 5 decades worth of US Foreign Policy.
As though those five decades of foreign policy have done much good.
Sometimes "much good" merely means "staving off the really, really BAD."

You have noted the response to Lord Dampnut's announcement, I take it. I forecast much BAD coming down the pike. I lay it all at the Fool King's feet.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: The American Colosseum

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Virgo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 am

conebeckham wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am
the Fool King
This is what I am officially calling him from now on.

Virgo

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 3059
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am

conebeckham wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 am
Could political or personal beliefs ever overcome compassion for all our mother sentient beings? No, certainly not possible there could be any nominal Buddhists.
If one truly possessed perfect compassion for all our mother sentient beings, there would be no personal or political beliefs to be held against such compassion. However, that does not obviate the need for appropriate action, and for the possibility of objecting to, protesting, or even contravening actions which are not beneficial to sentient beings. Theoretically, and also in Buddhist scripture, it is possible to act out of compassion in such a way that such actions may be deemed by the ignorant to be driven by political or personal beliefs.

I assume, though, that you are not arguing Trump's actions are driven by such perfect compassion.
"Perfect compassion" is your spin or sloppy reading, I did not write it or mean it.

I am just hoping for the day when compassion for every single being will be expressed on DW either by words or holding back on personal digs. Criticism & analysis fine, just save the zingers - if possible.
There is a deity within us who breathes that divine fire by which we are animated. -- Ovid

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27383
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:59 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am
conebeckham wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 am
Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 am
Could political or personal beliefs ever overcome compassion for all our mother sentient beings? No, certainly not possible there could be any nominal Buddhists.
If one truly possessed perfect compassion for all our mother sentient beings, there would be no personal or political beliefs to be held against such compassion. However, that does not obviate the need for appropriate action, and for the possibility of objecting to, protesting, or even contravening actions which are not beneficial to sentient beings. Theoretically, and also in Buddhist scripture, it is possible to act out of compassion in such a way that such actions may be deemed by the ignorant to be driven by political or personal beliefs.

I assume, though, that you are not arguing Trump's actions are driven by such perfect compassion.
"Perfect compassion" is your spin or sloppy reading, I did not write it or mean it.

I am just hoping for the day when compassion for every single being will be expressed on DW either by words or holding back on personal digs. Criticism & analysis fine, just save the zingers - if possible.

Harmful people are fools.
Trump is a harmful person.
Therefore, Trump is a fool.
Likewise, wise people are not harmful.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 570
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by TharpaChodron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 am

Trump is so foolish that he only cares for what he thinks what will solidify his base, which is dwindling very quickly. Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse. When Trump gets kicked out of the office, how long until we go back to the way things were, or actually improve?

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27383
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 am
Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse.
It is truly pathetic that Trump's foreign policy concerning Israel is being driven by his damn fool son-in-law for the Kushner Family's person gain...but what else do you expect from the Trump clan?

At this rate, it will take 100 hundred years to straighten out the mess Trump has made in the world in less than 1. Our world must be sorely be lacking in merit.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by PuerAzaelis » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 am
Trump is so foolish that he only cares for what he thinks what will solidify his base, which is dwindling very quickly. Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse. When Trump gets kicked out of the office, how long until we go back to the way things were, or actually improve?
Things will never be the same again.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests