The Only Capitol of Israel

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Ayu
Former staff member

Re: The Only Capitol of Israel

Post by Ayu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm
Ayu wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

(I'm upset about the stupidness of Trump and his voters. :crying: )
Well, just make sure AfG does not gain more seats, or you will be following us down the same road...
True.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 pm
What people may find confusing is that AFAIK, it is mostly the Old City of Jerusalem (East Jerusalem) that is disputed, not the entire city. The embassies you mentioned above are not in the Old City, are they? Having an embassy in the disputed territory implies that you recognise its annexation, but having an embassy in the new parts of Jerusalem does not, if I am reading this correctly.
The Old City is a part of East Jerusalem; the entire area of East Jerusalem is a large area that includes the Old City. West Jerusalem is even larger and pretty much all Jewish-Israeli. The Arabs and Palestinians don't want any embassies in West Jerusalem either, because it still has the Jerusalem name attached to it.

An international zone like the one proposed by the UN in 1947 is the best solution, imo but another possibility would be to have West Jerusalem for the Israelis and East Jerusalem for the Palestinians, but both sides are adamantly against that and then the disputes over the holy sites in the Old City.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:04 pm

http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

bokki

Post by bokki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 pm

PuerAzaelis:
Actually I am the reason the world is an excrement pie. Apologies. Normal service will be restored as soon as possible.
LOL! zennie! :rolling:
NO! it just wont do, you cant take the blame from me. I am the guilty one. No apologies.
Normal service will not be restored, not possible, too late. :tongue:

Anyway, no government is going to sell arms to the Palestinians, and what they can get from third party private sellers looks like toothpicks compared to Israeli military power, which is absolutely dominant in that part of the world. So, sadly, it looks like more suicide bombers and bloodshed..
If the ruskies had anything to do with electing dennis, they must be really scratching their heads and slapping themselves, very bad move, bumerang effect.
I wonder what his next catastrophic step will be, tho im sure we'll not wait long to see.
i just hope he does not go overboard, tho his actions leave little hope of that.
well, good luck every one.
Another log on the fire,
10,000 frogs singing in the rain,
burst into flames.
- Linda Anderson

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm
An international zone like the one proposed by the UN in 1947 is the best solution, imo but another possibility would be to have West Jerusalem for the Israelis and East Jerusalem for the Palestinians, but both sides are adamantly against that and then the disputes over the holy sites in the Old City.
My Israeli father-in-law proposed another solution as we stood in front of the Wailing Wall: "wouldn't it be nice to move that rock up to the moon and all the crazy people with it."

Plausible as anything else.

Also, lots of people understand this is about real estate, but not the real kicker in this deal: there was a footnote to Trump's announcement - the beach front property where the US Embassy presently stands will be sold to the Trump Organization at a discount in tribute to the President's genius.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Also, lots of people understand this is about real estate, but not the real kicker in this deal: there was a footnote to Trump's announcement - the beach front property where the US Embassy presently stands will be sold to the Trump Organization at a discount in tribute to the President's genius.
Are you serious??? Is that actually confirmed/substatiated anywhere??

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am

Dan, :consoling: :rolling:
Entered a stupa compound

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 am

Do we have any bible scholars on here?
Does the revelations book have any perspective on this matter?

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 am

Virgo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm
TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 am
Trump is so foolish that he only cares for what he thinks what will solidify his base, which is dwindling very quickly. Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse. When Trump gets kicked out of the office, how long until we go back to the way things were, or actually improve?
Who knows, but the sooner he is out, the better.

Kevin
his approval ratings seem to be at a historic low, about 30%, i think?

all this talk about war being a money maker. the stock market yesterday didn't seem to think so.

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:56 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 am
Virgo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm
TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 am
Trump is so foolish that he only cares for what he thinks what will solidify his base, which is dwindling very quickly. Trump was quoted as saying he was pushed by the Zionists, quite a pathetic excuse. When Trump gets kicked out of the office, how long until we go back to the way things were, or actually improve?
Who knows, but the sooner he is out, the better.

Kevin
his approval ratings seem to be at a historic low, about 30%, i think?

all this talk about war being a money maker. the stock market yesterday didn't seem to think so.
After that tweet that his lawyer fell on the sword for, he may just be gone. His statement in it is clear evidence of his obstruction of justice.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 am
Do we have any bible scholars on here?
Does the revelations book have any perspective on this matter?
This isn't my area of expertise, but I can speak generally to this question.

There are many and highly divergent interpretations of what Revelation means generally. For example, some hold that some or all the events described in the revelation of St John of Patmos have already occurred; some say they are underway now, or partly so; some say it's all in the future. So there's no consensus even on what timeframe is at stake with regard to that text, much less the specific meanings it may hold.

Specific figures in Revelation have been assumed to correspond to historical events or developments or institutions, or to spiritual matters. The Whore of Babylon, for example: some hold this is a figure for a state of chaos and conflict; others claim it is an accurate description of or prophecy of the Roman Catholic Church. As you might imagine, this is contested among different Christian denominations.

Moving right along to the topic of this thread.

There is a minority view among some conservative Protestant groups in the US that asserting Jerusalem as the capitol of Israel lines up with certain prophecies in Revelation that may prefigure, or even trigger, what they refer to as the End Times. To their way of thinking, this is a Good Thing (for them). This is all rather literal reading of a clearly metaphorical or allegorical text. John of Patmos mentions a red heifer? OK, let's breed a red heifer and take it to the Holy Land to see if God is ready to bring about the end of this world. And so on. This is an old article but you can see how long this has been in the making for our religious friends on the far right:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1998 ... ng-the-end

You can see this in reading between the lines in reporting like this.

http://beta.latimes.com/politics/la-na- ... story.html

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am

Queequeg wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Are you serious??? Is that actually confirmed/substantiated anywhere??

Good one Matt. :applause: It is quite believable.

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 am
Queequeg wrote:

Queequeg wrote: ↑
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Are you serious??? Is that actually confirmed/substantiated anywhere??

Good one Matt. :applause: It is quite believable.
Truth is stranger than fiction. Israel is to invest around $200 million in golf tourism, including one course planned in the Golan Heights.

Now I wonder who will be given the contracts? ;)

''Tourism Minister Stas Misezhnikov said that encouraging golf tourism would, in turn, encourage local and foreign investments. Misezhnikov predicts thousands of golf aficionados will visit Israel every year, which will help it compete against other Mediterranean Basin nations which have established themselves as local golf attractions.

Annual golf tourism revenues in Europe, the Middle East and Africa come to $2.7 billion.''
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

and speaking of golf....
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm

Queequeg wrote:
I appreciate the sentiment, but evidence would be nicer.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Thankful to all for pointing out flaws regarding this thread (and my other personal failings).

But no one has mentioned the biggest blunder - using the wrong Capitol for the title of this thread - should be Capital.
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 pm
Thankful to all for pointing out flaws regarding this thread (and my other personal failings).

But no one has mentioned the biggest blunder - using the wrong Capitol for the title of this thread - should be Capital.
We are all too old for spelling flames...
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:44 pm

I found it deeply disturbing but since everything is completely equivalent to an illusion I felt that there was no point in making a big deal out of it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm
Dan74 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:26 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Ha! In the times, when truth is often stranger than fiction, it didn't actually sound so funny...

Return to “News & Current Events”