Whaaaaats Going On..?

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Simon E.

Whaaaaats Going On..?

Post by Simon E. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm

I leave the country for a few days, and when I return the UK has become Siberia.. :cry:
Is it safe to come out now? Looks to the left...Looks to the right.... :thinking:

TharpaChodron

Re: Whaaaaats Going On..?

Post by TharpaChodron » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 am

Isn't that normal there? You guys get some weather. It's December. ;)

Virgo
Global Moderator

Post by Virgo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 am

Whaaaaats Going On..?

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 am
Winter is coming earlier the last years. All my life we had the first snow after Christmas. Therefore everybody was only dreaming of White Christmas...
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:04 am

It seems to me that 50 years ago our winters started being really cold in November even in the South.

Now that normally seems to happen in January.

But when I lived in the Peak District our weather was very different, with deep snow and 'proper winters' but rarely a decent summer. In fact, I recall a County cricket match being stopped due to snow..........in June!
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
I live in the Thames Valley near London. We only see snow about one year in three, and even then it's usually only around for a few days. It is also unusual for it to snow in the South of England before January.
The world's perception of the Dickensian Christmas ..all red-cheeked urchins, and snow covered London houses, was formed during a mini ice age in mid-Victorian times when Dickens was at his peak.
The reality in November/December in the south is more usually grey drizzle...
Is it safe to come out now? Looks to the left...Looks to the right.... :thinking:

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 am

Simon E. wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
I live in the Thames Valley near London. We only see snow about one year in three, and even then it's usually only around for a few days. It is also unusual for it to snow in the South of England before January.
The world's perception of the Dickensian Christmas ..all red-cheeked urchins, and snow covered London houses, was formed during a mini ice age in mid-Victorian times when Dickens was at his peak.
The reality in November/December in the south is more usually grey drizzle...
I had a laugh the last time I was down there from Scotland, some girl was asking if it's really as cold up there as they say. I didn't really think there was that big of a difference between the weather in Scotland compared to England, but I guess by your standards there is.

my husband and I debate who had it worse, his cold Scottish winters or my frigid Kansas ones. I think Kansas was harsher, the arctic blast from Canada and no oceanic air to subdue it. But these days Kansas doesn't have nearly as much ice and snow as when I lived there growing up. Everyone there can tell things have changed.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, my brother who lives in Stockholm reports that the winters became much warmer there. There's no really cold and long winter anymore.
In my area (Northern Germany) the summers are wetter or way hotter (depends) and the winters are colder. Maybe this is connected to the sea somehow that brings our weather.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am

It’s probably because of Brexit.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 am

:smile:

This current cold snap in the south is against the trend of the last few years. It's a shock to our delicate southern systems...
:o

My eldest granddaughter did not see 'proper snow' (her words) until she was 12 years old.

I grew up in the same town and we saw snow fairly regularly.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am
It’s probably because of Brexit.
:smile: Most probably.

You know, for a gardener talking about the weather is a serious and most relevant topic. :tongue:

boda

Post by boda » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 pm

It's currently 78 degrees in Sunny Southern Cal. I might have to think about putting on a sweater later this evening though, it may get down to the 60's, Brrrrr.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 am

Here in Sydney, we're just entering our first heatwave of the year. We're expecting >45c in Sydney's west. Every year, the heatwaves get longer and hotter - last year was a record but this year might easily top it. Greenhouse effect, no doubt whatever in my mind.

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:09 am
Here in Sydney, we're just entering our first heatwave of the year. We're expecting >45c in Sydney's west. Every year, the heatwaves get longer and hotter - last year was a record but this year might easily top it. Greenhouse effect, no doubt whatever in my mind.
Same here is se Arizona.

boda

Post by boda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:38 am

Wayfarer wrote:
That’s 113 degrees fahrenheit, yikes!

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Rather you than me.

Im a typical pom. I can't cope with anything too warm. Or too cold. :roll:

Today in South East England it's beautiful. The snow around here was washed away by heavy rain. It's a cold, clear, windy day. The sun is shining on the Thames. It looks like one of Monet's Thames paintings.

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes, the Aussie Christmas would take some getting used to for a Pom. Instead of snow it's beaches, mangos and Test cricket. Which actually turns the whole thing upside down, because Christmas incorporates the traditional European 'mid-winter fest' and here it's the hottest time of year. Although overall I prefer the Australian climate, having grown up in it.

Return to “News & Current Events”