Buddhist Billionaire plans to change China

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Nicholas Weeks

Buddhist Billionaire plans to change China

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 pm

He has a 3 year timetable to bring the rule of law & freedom to China:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/billionaire-g ... 46185.html
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

odysseus

Re: Buddhist Billionaire plans to change China

Post by odysseus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Good to see more powerful Chinese work for more liberation of China. By "powerful", I mean a billionaire can reach a lot of people. With a liberated China, we may also hopefully one day see a free Tibet.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:33 pm

May he succeed

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:21 pm

One of the comments at the bottom that column is 'Guo wants to be president himself''. I think it's quite possible that this is what he intends by 'regime change'. No doubt he is now classified as an enemy of the state, I imagine he has a price on his head.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki-roshi

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:08 pm

More on the noble Guo, may he help to save China!

http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... ent-china/
Whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. -- MN 19

dzoki

Post by dzoki » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Guo's intentions for making China a democracy are questionable at least - they do not seem honest to me given the history of this guy. More than anything he has a beef with the present Chinese dictator a.k.a Winnie-the-Pooh

more on him:

dzoki

Post by dzoki » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Freebeacon looks like news straight out of Trump's butt. Guo is a corrupt criminal not a noble knight :D

Edit: Guo is a member of Trump's club so the connection is clear.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 am

This guy is a joke. He made a lot of money by questionable means, which painted a target on his back, and is now hiding out in the US making increasingly wild accusations at the PRC government on Twitter. If he returns the only thing he'll change is the occupancy of a prison cell - he has pretty much no credibility.

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am

dzoki wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote:

Freebeacon looks like news straight out of Trump's butt. Guo is a corrupt criminal not a noble knight :D

PeterC wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 am
This guy is a joke. He made a lot of money by questionable means, which painted a target on his back, and is now hiding out in the US making increasingly wild accusations at the PRC government on Twitter. If he returns the only thing he'll change is the occupancy of a prison cell - he has pretty much no credibility.
To me trump is no better or worse than the bush/clinton/obama lot.

In any case, Gou sounds like a a decent guy to me:

"But I am a Buddhist, I want to be kind to other people... I want to change the evil regime,"

Unless he's only pretending to be Buddhist....
As Malcolm posted a few weeks ago though (paraphrased), even if one takes the Bodhisattva vows to deceive, a seed will still be planted for future Buddhahood.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:38 am

Sādhaka wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am
dzoki wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote:

PeterC wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:53 am
To me trump is no better or worse than the bush/clinton/obama lot.

In any case, Gou sounds like a a decent guy to me:

"But I am a Buddhist, I want to be kind to other people... I want to change the evil regime,"

Unless he's only pretending to be Buddhist even though he might actually not be Buddhist....
As Malcolm posted a few weeks ago though (paraphrased), even if one takes the Bodhisattva vows to deceive, a seed will still be planted for future Buddhahood.
Well, I would be extremely surprised if he met any plausible criteria for being a Buddhist - having taken refuge, knowledge of any basic doctrine, etc. Much more likely to be a throwaway line. But that's besides the point - the issue is that he's a profoundly unpleasant individual. The original report by Caixin that got the anti-corruption campaign focussed on him is still around and well worth reading - attaching the link below, though unfortunately it's behind a paywall and in Chinese. Caixin is a very credible and non-partisan source, led by China's most famous economic journalist. Guo has been involved in a lot of very unsavory stuff, and only started presenting himself as savior of the world after he was on the run.

http://weekly.caixin.com/2015-03-27/100795235.html

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:23 am

Sādhaka wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am
He doesn't want to change the regime, he wants to become the regime. Becoming a billionaire in any country in the world is normally an unsavoury business, becoming a billionaire in China generally requires standing on the corpses of a lot of people. I wouldn't trust him further than I can throw him.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde