Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Post Reply
User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 26647
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:25 pm
Ricky wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 pm
Luckily the tax bill will preserve current incentives.
Actually the tax bill is gutting wind and solar incentives.
My bad, old news.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
treehuggingoctopus
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Mudhole? Slimy? My home, this is.

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by treehuggingoctopus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 pm

No Malcolm, it really is not. Genuine social ownership and democratic control of the means of production in Venezuela?
Look, the Maduro people claim they are socialists. They, like Chavez, claim that they are preserving surpluses from oil revenue for the people. This is completely consistent with Marxian Socialist ethics.
It is a mixture of a typical neoliberal state and what Chomsky aptly calls a "state capitalist economy." No worker-controlled means of production, no worker-controlled government and no democratic control of anything.
Right, which is typical of the "dictatorship of the proletariat." Recall, Trotsky wanted the world turned into a concentration camp.
There are private businesses and big corporations there, and they are doing fine.
No one is doing fine in Venezuala. Just ask Elias Caprilles.

Anyway, your "Socialism" is a fantasy. It never has happened anywhere, can't happen anywhere (as more than one failed centrally planned economy has demonstrated) and moreover, the so called "means of production," which are a product of Capitalism, are themselves toxic by nature.

Further, Communists were and are just as bloody minded as Fascists, operating out class bias and resentments as opposed to racial/national bias and resentments. The shear number of innocent people murdered by Communists and Fascists in the 20th century alone should make everyone as equally nervous about Marxist Socialism as they are about Fascism. Frankly, no Capitalist country has ever come close to the bloodshed inflicted on the world by Communists and Fascists, not in your wildest dreams.
You are mixing categories, Malcolm.

Communism is not socialism, and communists are not socialists. The very first victims of the (Stalinist) communists after they took control of what is now called the post-Soviet bloc were socialists, and in many countries socialists were the backbone of the anti-communist resistance before the USSR collapsed.

The dictatorship of the proletariat is a commie thing. Marxist socialists stopped liking it years ago, non-Marxist ones never did.

Also, you can have non-totalitarian commies (anarcho-communists and libertarian communists, for example). A rare breed these days, but not entirely unheard-of. And of course you clearly can have, and do have -- in Europe in abundance -- non-Marxist socialists. It is Marxist socialists who are a minority these days here.

Chavez, Maduro, and their chums can call themselves whatever they like. Still, they are certainly not socialists, no more than Sanders or Tsipras are socialists (I am not suggesting any other equivalence here, btw). The socialism I speak of can certainly happen, and btw "your" Bookchinian libertarian municipalism is a variation on it.

Your paragraph about commies is kind of spurious: I am not one (and happen to know more about the horrors of their totalitarian regime than you do. There are people in my family who were executed by the Stalinists). I am seriously wondering, however, whether the capitalist colonial oppression was less bloody than the reign of the communists.
Last edited by treehuggingoctopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 15928
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Grigoris » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 am

Malcolm wrote:Frankly, no Capitalist country has ever come close to the bloodshed inflicted on the world by Communists and Fascists, not in your wildest dreams.
I seem to remember a capitalist country dropping a couple of nuclear bombs, engaging in a war on the Korean peninsula and Vietnam, backing Muslim fundamentalists in Afghanistan, supporting murderous fascist regimes in central and south America, backing more Muslim fundamentalists in Syria and Iraq, funding other Muslim fundamentalists via their allies in Saudi Arabia, etc...

They putting something in your water over there?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5760
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by kirtu » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am
Frankly, no Capitalist country has ever come close to the bloodshed inflicted on the world by Communists and Fascists, not in your wildest dreams.
A frankly ridiculous statement.

The Belgian exploitation of the Congo alone is estimated to be between 1-15 M (with the 15M figure used quite a bit but it is a guess - a conservative estimate would be 10M).

All of African colonialism definitely rises to at least 15M though.

Then we can add Asian colonialism.

Then we can add the entire conquest of the Americas (which you might not want to count because it may not fit your def. of the capatalist era, same with most of Asian colonialism)

So we can pick and choose: Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, the US (from Jefferson), Britain (from 1615-1820 or so), Germany (the history of the African colonies is nothing but a precursor for the Holocaust).

I led with Belgium because that history is not controversial, only the death toll range is in doubt but it is definitely in the millions with 15M commonly invoked. You could still counter with at least 12M for Nazi Germany and 25M or so for Soviet Russia, but the capitalist countries still get there together over a slightly broader range of history. You will have to at least retract "in your wildest dreams".

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 26647
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm

kirtu wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am
Frankly, no Capitalist country has ever come close to the bloodshed inflicted on the world by Communists and Fascists, not in your wildest dreams.
A frankly ridiculous statement.

The Belgian exploitation of the Congo alone is estimated to be between 1-15 M (with the 15M figure used quite a bit but it is a guess - a conservative estimate would be 10M).
That barely fits into the twentieth century, and was in its day a huge scandal, and Leopold was forced to give up control of the Congo to the Belgian Government —— so it does not really count in the way in which you imagine. It was the inspiration for Apocalypse Now.

So we can pick and choose: Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal, the US (from Jefferson), Britain (from 1615-1820 or so), Germany (the history of the African colonies is nothing but a precursor for the Holocaust).
If you look, I was talking about the 20th century. There was no Fascism prior to WW1.

Further, all the examples of colonialism you mention were perpetrated by mercantile economies run by royal families, with the sole exception being the US since it is a republic, not a monarchy. And the American System, or Protectionism, is really a kind of mercantile economy.
I led with Belgium because that history is not controversial, only the death toll range is in doubt but it is definitely in the millions with 15M commonly invoked. You could still counter with at least 12M for Nazi Germany and 25M or so for Soviet Russia, but the capitalist countries still get there together over a slightly broader range of history.
Your forgot to add the 45 million people who died under Mao in four years, to that we can add the 3 million people killed by Pol Pot.
You will have to at least retract "in your wildest dreams".
I was talking about the 20th century.

Not even the US was a truly capitalist society with free markets under the National System after the Civil war. Actually, it was really only in the 1970's that the US, under Nixon, adopted the free-trade, lassez faire system. Trump/Bannon is a right wing reaction to Nixon's globalist policies.

M
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
hawayana gonzalez
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by hawayana gonzalez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 am

[/quote]



I know there are people out there actually willing to do this stuff, like I said there are groups who teach LGBT self defense, organize safety committees etc. These things need to exist beside the Spencer-punchers, because if they don't it is simply picking a battle one cannot win ..IMO these people have a much more intelligent approach than most of the people here who will self-identify as "antifa".


[/quote]

Here in Chile, in different cities, there are individuals and collectives that we work and / or live from autonomy, anti-authoritarianism and community, self-managing instances of self-defense as you say for LGBT and others such as self-management dining, yoga practices , qi gong, cultural activities, urban gardens, etc. Many the people put a anarchist label on us , but I see it more as an experience of autonomy and a deep questioning of the social and historical mechanisms that legitimize the "citizen and representative" power, both to the right and to the "left" experiences. Now we are trying to organize ourselves to get the drug trafficking groups out. :meditate:

User avatar
hawayana gonzalez
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by hawayana gonzalez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:02 am

[/quote]
I would like to hear what you and others have to say about Venezuela.


[/quote]

The progressive governments of "the Americas", in order not to be defeated, have had to pass to a phase of authoritarianism close to dictatorships, as in Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia and Rafael Correa's Ecuador. We must take into account that these governments were elected because the people have historically been deprived of elementary rights such as health, food and education and the native population has been excluded from any right being considered pariahs.

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 15928
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Grigoris » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm

hawayana gonzalez wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 am
Now we are trying to organize ourselves to get the drug trafficking groups out. :meditate:
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 26647
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.

And here we see how governments inevitably arise out of small defense associations, as described by the Buddha in the Mahasammata Sutta, and much much later, by Robert Nozik in Anarchy, State, and Utopia.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Brunelleschi
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Brunelleschi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.

And here we see how governments inevitably arise out of small defense associations, as described by the Buddha in the Mahasammata Sutta, and much much later, by Robert Nozik in Anarchy, State, and Utopia.
Interesting stuff. Do you have any quotes from the Sutta? :thumbsup:

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 26647
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Brunelleschi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.

And here we see how governments inevitably arise out of small defense associations, as described by the Buddha in the Mahasammata Sutta, and much much later, by Robert Nozik in Anarchy, State, and Utopia.
Interesting stuff. Do you have any quotes from the Sutta? :thumbsup:

My error, it is the Aggañña Sutta which recounts the election of Mahāsammata as King. See page 413 in the Long Discourses of the Buddha, Walsh.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
hawayana gonzalez
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by hawayana gonzalez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
hawayana gonzalez wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 am
Now we are trying to organize ourselves to get the drug trafficking groups out. :meditate:
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.
Thanks Grigoris, I searched for information on the Internet and it seems impressive :) . We started to organize with the old neighbors to fight them, as we are not avant-garde organizations, we integrate the different groups of neighbors respecting their opinion.. Here the drugs like "cocaina" and "pasta base" are killing lives, families and neighborhoods, etc. This scourge was entered into popular populations first by the murderous dictator Pinochet :toilet: and then by the political alliance center-left post dictatorship, to eliminate popular focus of resistance.

User avatar
hawayana gonzalez
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by hawayana gonzalez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.

And here we see how governments inevitably arise out of small defense associations, as described by the Buddha in the Mahasammata Sutta, and much much later, by Robert Nozik in Anarchy, State, and Utopia.
:good:

Yes, that is how the EZLN was born, as a method of self-government and self-defense.

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 15928
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Grigoris » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm

hawayana gonzalez wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
hawayana gonzalez wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:49 am
Now we are trying to organize ourselves to get the drug trafficking groups out. :meditate:
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.
Thanks Grigoris, I searched for information on the Internet and it seems impressive :) . We started to organize with the old neighbors to fight them, as we are not avant-garde organizations, we integrate the different groups of neighbors respecting their opinion.. Here the drugs like "cocaina" and "pasta base" are killing lives, families and neighborhoods, etc. This scourge was entered into popular populations first by the murderous dictator Pinochet :toilet: and then by the political alliance center-left post dictatorship, to eliminate popular focus of resistance.
I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavour.



Some things never change!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
hawayana gonzalez
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by hawayana gonzalez » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:13 am

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm
hawayana gonzalez wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Same thing happens in the self-organised communities in Greece. When the police cannot crush the movements, they send in the drug dealers. There have been violent clashes between drug dealers and self-organised citizens as they try to force the dealers out of their neighborhoods.
Thanks Grigoris, I searched for information on the Internet and it seems impressive :) . We started to organize with the old neighbors to fight them, as we are not avant-garde organizations, we integrate the different groups of neighbors respecting their opinion.. Here the drugs like "cocaina" and "pasta base" are killing lives, families and neighborhoods, etc. This scourge was entered into popular populations first by the murderous dictator Pinochet :toilet: and then by the political alliance center-left post dictatorship, to eliminate popular focus of resistance.
I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavour.



Some things never change!
thanks !!, wow I only knew the clash´s cover version :cheers:

User avatar
Brunelleschi
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Brunelleschi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:28 am

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 pm
Brunelleschi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:58 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm



And here we see how governments inevitably arise out of small defense associations, as described by the Buddha in the Mahasammata Sutta, and much much later, by Robert Nozik in Anarchy, State, and Utopia.
Interesting stuff. Do you have any quotes from the Sutta? :thumbsup:

My error, it is the Aggañña Sutta which recounts the election of Mahāsammata as King. See page 413 in the Long Discourses of the Buddha, Walsh.
Great. Thanks for taking the time to look it up. :)

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 26647
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:47 pm

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 pm

No Malcolm, it really is not. Genuine social ownership and democratic control of the means of production in Venezuela?
Look, the Maduro people claim they are socialists. They, like Chavez, claim that they are preserving surpluses from oil revenue for the people. This is completely consistent with Marxian Socialist ethics.
It is a mixture of a typical neoliberal state and what Chomsky aptly calls a "state capitalist economy." No worker-controlled means of production, no worker-controlled government and no democratic control of anything.
Right, which is typical of the "dictatorship of the proletariat." Recall, Trotsky wanted the world turned into a concentration camp.
There are private businesses and big corporations there, and they are doing fine.
No one is doing fine in Venezuala. Just ask Elias Caprilles.

Anyway, your "Socialism" is a fantasy. It never has happened anywhere, can't happen anywhere (as more than one failed centrally planned economy has demonstrated) and moreover, the so called "means of production," which are a product of Capitalism, are themselves toxic by nature.

Further, Communists were and are just as bloody minded as Fascists, operating out class bias and resentments as opposed to racial/national bias and resentments. The shear number of innocent people murdered by Communists and Fascists in the 20th century alone should make everyone as equally nervous about Marxist Socialism as they are about Fascism. Frankly, no Capitalist country has ever come close to the bloodshed inflicted on the world by Communists and Fascists, not in your wildest dreams.
You are mixing categories, Malcolm.

Communism is not socialism, and communists are not socialists. The very first victims of the (Stalinist) communists after they took control of what is now called the post-Soviet bloc were socialists, and in many countries socialists were the backbone of the anti-communist resistance before the USSR collapsed.

The dictatorship of the proletariat is a commie thing. Marxist socialists stopped liking it years ago, non-Marxist ones never did.
Really? Than why does Saral Sarkar insist that it will be necessary in his Ecosocialism book?

The socialism I speak of can certainly happen
Centrally planned economies don't work, and neither do unregulated markets.
, and btw "your" Bookchinian libertarian municipalism is a variation on it.
Maybe.
I am seriously wondering, however, whether the capitalist colonial oppression was less bloody than the reign of the communists.
depends on what you mean by capitalist colonial oppression. If you define the Spanish crown as "capitalist colonialists" very likely. I don't, however.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 15928
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Grigoris » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:14 pm

So your report is based an idealisation of the definition of capitalism to the point where no existing system can be called capitalism, thus exonerating capitalism of all blame?

If I remember correctly I gave at least five valid examples which you ignored.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1400
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm
kirtu wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:09 am
Frankly, no Capitalist country has ever come close to the bloodshed inflicted on the world by Communists and Fascists, not in your wildest dreams.
A frankly ridiculous statement.

The Belgian exploitation of the Congo alone is estimated to be between 1-15 M (with the 15M figure used quite a bit but it is a guess - a conservative estimate would be 10M).
That barely fits into the twentieth century, and was in its day a huge scandal, and Leopold was forced to give up control of the Congo to the Belgian Government —— so it does not really count in the way in which you imagine. It was the inspiration for Apocalypse Now.
For the sake of consummate pedantry, was it not the inspiration for Heart of Darkness before it was the inspiration for Apocalypse Now?
子念昔貧,志意下劣,今於父所,大獲珍寶,并及舍宅、一切財物。甚大歡喜,得未曾有。
The son thought of past poverty, outlook humble, now having from father a treasure harvest, also father's house, all his wealth. Great joy - to have what was never before had.

Τῆς πατρῴας, δόξης σου, ἀποσκιρτήσας ἀφρόνως, ἐν κακοῖς ἐσκόρπισα, ὅν μοι παρέδωκας πλοῦτον· ὅθεν σοι τὴν τοῦ Ἀσώτου, φωνὴν κραυγάζω· Ἥμαρτον ἐνώπιόν σου Πάτερ οἰκτίρμον, δέξαι με μετανοοῦντα, καὶ ποίησόν με, ὡς ἕνα τῶν μισθίων σου.
Your fatherly due I withheld unthinking, in evil I wasted your wealth; a prodigal cries, "I've erred, father, receive the repentant as serf."

妙法蓮華經 Κοντάκιον τοῦ Ἀσώτου

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 26647
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:14 pm
So your report is based an idealisation of the definition of capitalism to the point where no existing system can be called capitalism, thus exonerating capitalism of all blame?

If I remember correctly I gave at least five valid examples which you ignored.
All I am really pointing out is that liberal democracies tend towards directly murdering less people than authoritarian regimes, whether right wing or left. The economic system of all liberal democracies is capitalism, whether they are liberal market economies, like the UK, US, Canada, NZ and Australia, or coordinated market economies like Germany, Sweden, Japan, and so on.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fa Dao, namoh and 11 guests