Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27180
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm
What being an Antifa, even a puerile poser, essentially entails is putting an obstacle between Fascists and their intended victims. I applaud those you use their white privilege against those trying to impose theirs on the (largely) defenceless. What people fail to understand is that for every blown out of proportion direct attack on Fascists that we see plastered all over the screens, there are scores of unreported attacks on innocents, by Fascists. Many of these attacks (eg by volunteer border patrol posse on wretched migrants) are sanctioned by the state. If you think that punching Spencer in the face is the same as shooting and killing migrants trying to escape bone-crushing poverty and conflict, then maybe you deserve a punch in the head to awaken you up from your somnambulism.
:good:
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5839
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by kirtu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 pm
kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 pm
But in the article (and presumably in the book [“Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook”, Mark Bray]) it's violence all the way down.

Kirt
Well, Gandhian tactics would not have prevented Mussolini or Hitler...however, the reality on the ground is that in order for Fascism to truly viable in the US, we would need an economy in shambles like the Weimar. At that point, violence really would be the only option.
I would like to say that Hitler was an extreme case but we have seen numerous copies (all of the former Yugoslavian nationalist leaders 1989-1995 for example).

However hatred made all of this possible. If we eliminate hatred we eliminate the potential rise of extreme nationalism.

Funny what you say about the US economy. It is in shambles but you and others (mostly with incrementalist Democrat tendencies) refuse to see it. I have been severly criticised for pointing it out in the past so I shall not repeat myself.

But then you immediately follow that with violence being the only option. Why?

For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27180
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 pm

kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm


Funny what you say about the US economy. It is in shambles but you and others (mostly with incrementalist Democrat tendencies) refuse to see it.
It is not in a shambles over all. Obama;s policies were largely successful. It may yet fall into a hole too big to dig out of as a result Herr Drumpf's meddling. We will see.

But then you immediately follow that with violence being the only option. Why?

For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.
By the time we are in Weimar territory, it will be too late for that. Anyway, that is what the Nazi's promised, and they delivered (at the expense of the Jews, and so on).
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by CedarTree » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm
What being an Antifa, even a puerile poser, essentially entails is putting an obstacle between Fascists and their intended victims. I applaud those you use their white privilege against those trying to impose theirs on the (largely) defenceless. What people fail to understand is that for every blown out of proportion direct attack on Fascists that we see plastered all over the screens, there are scores of unreported attacks on innocents, by Fascists. Many of these attacks (eg by volunteer border patrol posse on wretched migrants) are sanctioned by the state. If you think that punching Spencer in the face is the same as shooting and killing migrants trying to escape bone-crushing poverty and conflict, then maybe you deserve a punch in the head to awaken you up from your somnambulism.
Lot of truth to that.

Practice, Practice, Practice

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5839
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by kirtu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:59 pm
kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm


Funny what you say about the US economy. It is in shambles but you and others (mostly with incrementalist Democrat tendencies) refuse to see it.
It is not in a shambles over all. Obama;s policies were largely successful. It may yet fall into a hole too big to dig out of as a result Herr Drumpf's meddling. We will see.
The Obama Admin failed to recover from the 2007/2008 2nd Great Depression. This was a major inflection point in US history. As a result of this failure and the panic people exhibited at the time and for years later, millions of people were reduced to subsistence income. Today > 50% of the working population has a personal income of < $35k/yr. People are locked out of meaningful and productive employment. The majority of employment managers justified this and continue to justify this citing "a skills gap" (which is nothing but an egregious lie). This is a posion pill. At the same time the country has been handend over to oligarchs as a result of the last frgrtal election.

But then you immediately follow that with violence being the only option. Why?

For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.
By the time we are in Weimar territory, it will be too late for that. Anyway, that is what the Nazi's promised, and they delivered (at the expense of the Jews, and so on).
Well, the future of the world is not dependant upon the exploitative empire occupying the middle of North America. But it is sad for it's own citizenry. And the alternatives point to a very dark future history of the world for the most part.

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Ricky » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm

kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm


For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.

Country is already in colossal debt. Where will they get the money for these programs?

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27180
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm

kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Well, the future of the world is not dependant upon the exploitative empire occupying the middle of North America.
Yeah, it pretty much still is.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27180
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm
kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm


For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.

Country is already in colossal debt. Where will they get the money for these programs?
Nowhere, that is where. Nevertheless, the universal healthcare thing is a no-brainer. Conservative economists in the 60's were calling for UH because they recognized that no one can make intelligent choices in a healthcare marketplace, and a free market depends on the ability to make rational and informed choices. We just have to extend Medicare for all, wallah!
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5839
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by kirtu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm
kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm


For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.

Country is already in colossal debt. Where will they get the money for these programs?

See Krugmann on the debt issue (and there are others as well).

If you refuse to think outside the box nothing positive will get done. The lack of intellectual capital and the extreme cynical tendency in the culture will doom it. But this doesn't need to happen.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 7777
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm
What being an Antifa, even a puerile poser, essentially entails is putting an obstacle between Fascists and their intended victims. I applaud those you use their white privilege against those trying to impose theirs on the (largely) defenceless. What people fail to understand is that for every blown out of proportion direct attack on Fascists that we see plastered all over the screens, there are scores of unreported attacks on innocents, by Fascists. Many of these attacks (eg by volunteer border patrol posse on wretched migrants) are sanctioned by the state. If you think that punching Spencer in the face is the same as shooting and killing migrants trying to escape bone-crushing poverty and conflict, then maybe you deserve a punch in the head to awaken you up from your somnambulism.
Greg, I agree with all this. It does not change the fact (from my perspective of course that most people in my own country I have seen calling themselves "Antifa" here are not willing to put themselves between anything, but are often into making performative public statements -very- thinly disguised as tactics or "fighting Nazis".

I realize Europe is a different ballgame, but I can't tell you how frustrating it is here where most of the (young) left is completely ignorant of any notion of political economy, who believe that everything is "cultural" and think that the best way to oppose the growth of the far right to basically oppose any attempts at real organization, go out into "da streets" and try to make cool statements, occasionally punch a guy wearing a swastika, and talk a lot of post-modernism and critical race theory.

In my neck of the woods these sorts of folks are more likely to pen an online missive detailing the horrors of Banh Mi as cultural appropriation, or make Facebook posts about how they fought the man by calling out someone wearing a T Shirt of the Pilsury Doughboy that says "White Flour" (both real, and recent examples of "activism" btw) than they are to actually DO anything useful at all towards their supposed aims of protecting the most vulnerable. In fact, half the time self -described "antifa" around me turn on anyone on the left who questions their juvenile approach, and seem to see themselves as above even debating their position, because one time they maybe yelled at some skinheads.

I know there are people out there actually willing to do this stuff, like I said there are groups who teach LGBT self defense, organize safety committees etc. These things need to exist beside the Spencer-punchers, because if they don't it is simply picking a battle one cannot win ..IMO these people have a much more intelligent approach than most of the people here who will self-identify as "antifa".

I'm fine with people punching Spencer, but when that's all there is, and when that sort of thing is seen as the primary "antifa" activity, and when most importantly the left here is not even well organized enough to "fight" anyone - this is idiotic, and counter productive to "antifascist" aims.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

amanitamusc
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 pm
Grigoris wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm
What being an Antifa, even a puerile poser, essentially entails is putting an obstacle between Fascists and their intended victims. I applaud those you use their white privilege against those trying to impose theirs on the (largely) defenceless. What people fail to understand is that for every blown out of proportion direct attack on Fascists that we see plastered all over the screens, there are scores of unreported attacks on innocents, by Fascists. Many of these attacks (eg by volunteer border patrol posse on wretched migrants) are sanctioned by the state. If you think that punching Spencer in the face is the same as shooting and killing migrants trying to escape bone-crushing poverty and conflict, then maybe you deserve a punch in the head to awaken you up from your somnambulism.
Greg, I agree with all this. It does not change the fact (from my perspective of course that most people in my own country I have seen calling themselves "Antifa" here are not willing to put themselves between anything, but are often into making performative public statements -very- thinly disguised as tactics or "fighting Nazis".

I realize Europe is a different ballgame, but I can't tell you how frustrating it is here where most of the (young) left is completely ignorant of any notion of political economy, who believe that everything is "cultural" and think that the best way to oppose the growth of the far right to basically oppose any attempts at real organization, go out into "da streets" and try to make cool statements, occasionally punch a guy wearing a swastika, and talk a lot of post-modernism and critical race theory.

In my neck of the woods these sorts of folks are more likely to pen an online missive detailing the horrors of Banh Mi as cultural appropriation, or make Facebook posts about how they fought the man by calling out someone wearing a T Shirt of the Pilsury Doughboy that says "White Flour" (both real, and recent examples of "activism" btw) than they are to actually DO anything useful at all towards their supposed aims of protecting the most vulnerable. In fact, half the time self -described "antifa" around me turn on anyone on the left who questions their juvenile approach, and seem to see themselves as above even debating their position, because one time they maybe yelled at some skinheads.

I know there are people out there actually willing to do this stuff, like I said there are groups who teach LGBT self defense, organize safety committees etc. These things need to exist beside the Spencer-punchers, because if they don't it is simply picking a battle one cannot win ..IMO these people have a much more intelligent approach than most of the people here who will self-identify as "antifa".

I'm fine with people punching Spencer, but when that's all there is, and when that sort of thing is seen as the primary "antifa" activity, and when most importantly the left here is not even well organized enough to "fight" anyone - this is idiotic, and counter productive to "antifascist" aims.
This could be one of the reasons Mark Bray wrote this.https://www.amazon.com/Antifa-Anti-Fasc ... 1612197035

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Ricky » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm
kirtu wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm


For starters, a viable minimal income + universal health care , these two alone, fix most problems.

Country is already in colossal debt. Where will they get the money for these programs?
Nowhere, that is where. Nevertheless, the universal healthcare thing is a no-brainer. Conservative economists in the 60's were calling for UH because they recognized that no one can make intelligent choices in a healthcare marketplace, and a free market depends on the ability to make rational and informed choices. We just have to extend Medicare for all, wallah!
That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5839
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by kirtu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am

Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Country is already in colossal debt. Where will they get the money for these programs?
Nowhere, that is where. Nevertheless, the universal healthcare thing is a no-brainer. Conservative economists in the 60's were calling for UH because they recognized that no one can make intelligent choices in a healthcare marketplace, and a free market depends on the ability to make rational and informed choices. We just have to extend Medicare for all, wallah!
That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.
Austerity is the path to bankruptcy.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Ricky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 am

kirtu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm


Nowhere, that is where. Nevertheless, the universal healthcare thing is a no-brainer. Conservative economists in the 60's were calling for UH because they recognized that no one can make intelligent choices in a healthcare marketplace, and a free market depends on the ability to make rational and informed choices. We just have to extend Medicare for all, wallah!
That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.
Austerity is the path to bankruptcy.

Kirt
It already is bankrupt.http://www.usdebtclock.org

User avatar
srivijaya
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm
Location: UK

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by srivijaya » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 am

Dan74 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 pm
No, fascism should of course be opposed with all our power. I'd argue (as I and othera have done before) that going out and beating nationalist and proto-fascist groups just puts wind in their sails - gives them more exposure and sympathy of the fence-sitters and actually some moral legitimacy, since they paint themselves as an oppressed minority, besides actually being wrong.
They do this in any case, in order to garner support and delude themselves that they occupy the moral high ground. Look at the way they describe anyone who objects to their divisive rhetoric as nazis. It's an on-going effort to generalize the word - diluting it in order to make it less effective when directed at them. In the Alt-right parallel universe anyone can be a nazi, or even better, a 'real nazi'.

I used to share your view, that people like this should be left alone, so they can't portray themselves as victims but that approach has failed, especially on social media and discussion boards, as silence and inactivity is seen as assent by the public at large.

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by conebeckham » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 am

Ricky wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 am
kirtu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm

That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.
Austerity is the path to bankruptcy.

Kirt
It already is bankrupt.http://www.usdebtclock.org

http://econostats.org/five-myths-about- ... eral-debt/
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27180
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:23 am

kirtu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm


Nowhere, that is where. Nevertheless, the universal healthcare thing is a no-brainer. Conservative economists in the 60's were calling for UH because they recognized that no one can make intelligent choices in a healthcare marketplace, and a free market depends on the ability to make rational and informed choices. We just have to extend Medicare for all, wallah!
That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.
Austerity is the path to bankruptcy.

Kirt

We agree on this much. The debt thing is a red herring.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Thomas Amundsen
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 am

kirtu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 pm


Nowhere, that is where. Nevertheless, the universal healthcare thing is a no-brainer. Conservative economists in the 60's were calling for UH because they recognized that no one can make intelligent choices in a healthcare marketplace, and a free market depends on the ability to make rational and informed choices. We just have to extend Medicare for all, wallah!
That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.
Austerity is the path to bankruptcy.

Kirt
Can you elaborate on this for the economic dunces in the crowd?

makewhisper
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:27 am
Contact:

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by makewhisper » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:45 am

I believe the Democrats need to fundamentally shift their policy platform in support of growing the third sector as a means for delivering capital into the hands of workers, rather than rehashing old debates about public versus private sector solutions that end up putting the party on the defensive. Sens. Sanders, Gillibrand, Warren and Brown this year sponsored a bill called the WORK Act that would promote employee ownership and economic democracy. Democrats should continue fighting for the right to unionize, but they need to diversify their strategy to empower workers in so-called “right to work” states too. Growing the third sector is a way to grow the labor movement to counteract some of the political-economic dynamics that drive economic nationalism. For example, employee-owned cooperatives are likely to retain jobs in the United States so the question of outsourcing—which Trumpistas use to attract white working class voters in deindustrializing states—becomes a moot point. Empowering cooperatives by promoting employee stock-ownership plans, assisting employees in negotiating the handover of businesses from owners to workers as the former retire, and giving preferential treatment to companies that implement workplace democracy in government contracting and procurement are examples of policies that can change the political economy.

Reempowering workers by creating pathways to the ownership and management of the means of production is the way to counter fascism. Doing so would promote the growth of networked regionalized economies and create new civil society institutions with a common interest in providing well-paid jobs with good benefits. Giving people the chance to be invested in their workplace by creating channels for the purchase of ESOPs is a way to empower the masses without appeals to race or national origin. Furthermore, the Japanese and Italian social cooperatives (especially those of northern Italy, which produce a third of Emilia Romagna’s GDP) provide a model for reorienting the social state away from neoliberal paternalism and racialized disenfranchisement (for more on this, read Disciplining the Poor) towards a multi-stakeholder model of social care. By empowering the third sector in the area of social care, Democrats can neutralize attacks on major social programs that reinforce generational poverty by making benefits less generous and more onerous than a job at McDonald’s. Republicans understand this which is why they’re moving to require drug testing and work in exchange for benefits.

A robust third sector is far from a pipe dream. As I said, Democrats have made a move in that direction by introducing the WORK Act. Rutgers University has recently created a center for the study of employees ownership. The Democrats would do well to get creative in their efforts to empower workers by pursuing such policies.

Over the long-term, Democrats need to draw on research in political psychology that locates right-wing authoritarian ideology in relational trauma. Studies show that there is a correlation between anxious and avoidant styles of psychological attachment and the hallmarks of right-wing ideologies of authoritarianism and social dominance orientation. Beliefs such as “the world is a dangerous place” and “people are selfish” mediate these relationships. This area of research suggests that exposure to adverse childhood experiences create dysfunctional internal working models of attachment that get expressed in irrational and dangerous political behavior. Psychodynamic concepts of defense are also useful—e.g. identification with the aggressor, splitting, etc. Democrats need to understand that addressing adverse childhood experiences through prevention programs and expanded access to trauma-informed care—EMDR, contemporary psychodynamic therapy, family systems therapy, etc.—is crucial to changing minds. The more people learn to feel securely attached in relation to others, the more likely they will be to relinquish right-wing authoritarian ideologies. Democrats need to push for a society that makes emotional support the norm rather than the exception by, for example, funding an expansion in school-based psychotherapy services. But they MUST lean on third-sector solutions by promoting the creation of social cooperatives that receive preferential treatment in Medicaid/Medicare reimbursement. Besides, addressing mental health with evidence-based, trauma-informed treatments is a way to save the economy money by improving morale, reducing long-term welfare dependency, lowering rates of structural and frictional unemployment, and improving workplace performance. All these negative outcomes are correlated with exposure to adverse childhood experiences, as a large body of social scientific literature has demonstrated.

In the U.S. there is neither equality of opportunity nor equality of outcomes. A fixation on anti-Trump sentiment will not be enough to win back the voters in Ohio and Michigan who were lost. The Democrats need to advance a positive vision that removes barriers to participation in the economy while promoting employee ownership and management of capital.
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

"Whilst lacking pure renunciation there is no way to pacify
The continual thirst for pleasure in the ocean of saṃsāra,
And since all living beings are bound by their craving for existence,
You must begin by finding the determination to be free."

[from Je Tsongkhapa's Three Principal Aspects of the Path]

User avatar
kirtu
Former staff member
Posts: 5839
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Right Wing and Left Wing Totalitairianism and Fascism

Post by kirtu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:51 am

Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 am
kirtu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 am
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:49 pm

That will plunge the country into deeper debt unless we can reduce spending in some other places, but first priority should be to pay it all off rather than increasing the burden on future generations.
Austerity is the path to bankruptcy.

Kirt
Can you elaborate on this for the economic dunces in the crowd?
You can find many explanations for this, even from exponents of the Chicago School! The short response is Keynes.

Now this can still get into quite a food fight, but briefly:





One view is slow long-term governmental debt reduction plus economic stimulation. The real answer is that economic stimulation is the only actual path and done correctly this expands the economy for everyone (so for example, the US space program in the late 50's-1972 vastly contributed to all sectors of the economy). You can find different explanations easily but this is it in a nutshell. In the past people said that war was one of these drivers (which it was unfortunately) but this is because of expanded manufacturing. The US and some nations are basically post-manufacturing although it can be reinvented via tech (which is happening in Northern Italy as an example).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests