$15 minimum wage

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Coëmgenu

$15 minimum wage

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:19 am

Canada is mandating a $15/hr minimum wage in January.

Most of my colleagues at the bakery I work at are being fired then, for the new wage, and all of us remaining are likely to be expected to work much more brutal hours.

Go! Pros & Cons!
子念昔貧,志意下劣,今於父所,大獲珍寶,并及舍宅、一切財物。甚大歡喜,得未曾有。
The son thought of past poverty, outlook humble, now having from father a treasure harvest, also father's house, all his wealth. Great joy - to have what was never before had.

Τῆς πατρῴας, δόξης σου, ἀποσκιρτήσας ἀφρόνως, ἐν κακοῖς ἐσκόρπισα, ὅν μοι παρέδωκας πλοῦτον· ὅθεν σοι τὴν τοῦ Ἀσώτου, φωνὴν κραυγάζω· Ἥμαρτον ἐνώπιόν σου Πάτερ οἰκτίρμον, δέξαι με μετανοοῦντα, καὶ ποίησόν με, ὡς ἕνα τῶν μισθίων σου.
Your fatherly due I withheld unthinking, in evil I wasted your wealth; a prodigal cries, "I've erred, father, receive the repentant as serf."

妙法蓮華經 Κοντάκιον τοῦ Ἀσώτου

Virgo
Global Moderator

Re: $15 minimum wage

Post by Virgo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 am

Well I hope things work out well for you, Coëmgenu. :namaste:

I am sorry to hear about your colleagues.

Kevin

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:29 am

Isn't Ontario running a universal income trial at the moment? It would be interesting to see how that pans out.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Motova

Post by Motova » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:19 am

Most of my colleagues at the bakery I work at are being fired then, for the new wage, and all of us remaining are likely to be expected to work much more brutal hours.

Go! Pros & Cons!
I'm pretty sure it's 14$ next year and 15$ the year after that.
Losal Samten wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:29 am
Isn't Ontario running a universal income trial at the moment? It would be interesting to see how that pans out.
Not yet.
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 am

Cons would be reduced number of employment opportunities and price increases on goods by businesses that want to recuperate losses from the higher minimum wage.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:59 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:19 am

Go! Pros & Cons!
as a hunter-gatherer you would have worked an average of 2 hours a day. As a cog in the capitalist system, you pay them in labor for the extra 6 hours, and they use your time/money to enslave and oppress others. Thanks! You're a Winner!!
"Cast off body and mind" (身心脱落 shēn xīn tuō luò)