Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/18/polit ... index.html

:alien: :jedi:

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

odysseus

Re: Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

Post by odysseus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 pm

I don't understand why the UFO research is so secret. Is it to make the Pentagon gain more power? Are they scared their technology is not up to par with the visiting UFOs? "We may not be alone" sounds like a mystical innuendo in order to make it seem like something unbelievable.

Anyway, the Diamond Sutra tells that there are innumberable world systems in this Universe without no beginning and no end. There are plenty of aliens, that's what I believe.

I am glad to be a citizen of the Cosmic society, whether I am a Jedi or not.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:13 am

I think they have all sorts of concerns, a whole big can of wormholes, hehe.

It's one thing knowing intellectually that there must be other intelligent life out there, in fact more intelligent than ours. It's another to have some confirmation from the Pentagon. It's exciting to me.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 am

Also, I think their concern has more to do with creating unrealistic expectations that their funding and research has to have some payoff, answers etc. As long as they play it down then NASA etc can continue research without public inquiry.

The military talking about it now seem pretty thrilled that the technology they encountered clearly is beyond our own abilities. It's so far in advance and beyond what anyone can do now that it's more a genuine interest than anything imo.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:15 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 am
Also, I think their concern has more to do with creating unrealistic expectations that their funding and research has to have some payoff, answers etc. As long as they play it down then NASA etc can continue research without public inquiry.

The military talking about it now seem pretty thrilled that the technology they encountered clearly is beyond our own abilities. It's so far in advance and beyond what anyone can do now that it's more a genuine interest than anything imo.
It's noticeable that everytime that the funding of NASA or the European Space Agency is questioned...after crashing an object the size of a domestic fridge on to a comets head for example and paying the equivalent of a small nation's annual budget to achieve this dubious feat..they start talking about Life Elsewhere...They have figured that is the best bait for ensuring that the taxpayers dosh continues to fund their Big Boys' hobby.

I don't believe a word of it.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:23 pm

The budget for NASA is only 0.5% of US total federal budget: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

Over the decades it has also given the world a lot of technologies we take for granted: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_sp ... chnologies

Of course all of that is only "good" from the point of view of mainstream economics, but the whole mechanism of the modern US government is based on mainstream economics anyway. I'd say it's a relatively benign outlet of spending compared to war.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:15 am
TharpaChodron wrote:

It's noticeable that everytime that the funding of NASA or the European Space Agency is questioned...after crashing an object the size of a domestic fridge on to a comets head for example and paying the equivalent of a small nation's annual budget to achieve this dubious feat..they start talking about Life Elsewhere...They have figured that is the best bait for ensuring that the taxpayers dosh continues to fund their Big Boys' hobby.

You don't believe that there's life elsewhere or the timing of their reports? The history of declassified documents being disclosed is hardly a ploy to receive more funding considering most declassified projects were officially dead ends. New discoveries every other week of 'earth-like planets' on the otherhand...

Also, I'm sure you can think of less savoury things that taxpayer's money goes towards. I would rather pay taxes that contribute to space exploration than the global military industrial complex.

Plus I'm sure you can think of countless other bigger-fish villains in the tax arena - i.e low corporation tax, corporate tax avoidance, tax havens etc.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Well yes, but judicial whipping is preferable to capital punishment Mipham Fan.

And 0.5% would fund a lot of healthcare and educational initiatives.

It's all fantasy. The nearest star is more than 4 light years away.It would take 84.000 years to get there.

Its not as though we are short of stuff to do on earth.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Vasana wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:50 pm
Simon E. wrote:
TharpaChodron wrote:

You don't believe that there's life elsewhere or the timing of their reports? The history of declassified documents being disclosed is hardly a ploy to receive more funding considering most declassified projects were officially dead ends. New discoveries every other week of 'earth-like planets' on the otherhand...

Also, I'm sure you can think of less savoury things that taxpayer's money goes towards. I would rather pay taxes that contribute to space exploration than the global military industrial complex.

Plus I'm sure you can think of countless other bigger-fish villains in the tax arena - i.e low corporation tax, corporate tax avoidance, tax havens etc.
I am agnostic about life elsewhere on the material plane, as any student of the Dharma should be given our total lack of knowledge of the reality of the matter at hand.
The alternative is prapanca.
I can think indeed think of even less savoury things do with our money than sending lumps of metal across space to land on comets..but I would rather that it was spent on some of the many urgent matters that need our attention rather closer to hand.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Vasana wrote:
Simon E. wrote:

I am agnostic about life elsewhere on the material plane, as any student of the Dharma should be given our total lack of knowledge of the reality of the matter at hand.
I can think indeed think of even less savoury things do with our money than sending lumps of metal across space to land on comets..but I would rather that it was spent on some of the many urgent matters that need our attention rather closer to hand.
The probability we are alone is far less than the probability we aren't. Given the sheer ammount of galaxies and stars in the universe it wouldn't be surprising if other planets had life supporting conditions.

As for prapanca, Doesn't Buddhism speak of other world systems and so on?

As for your last point, I agree. There are matters closer to hand that need more ention.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:56 pm

And also in here... :smile:

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Vasana wrote:
Simon E. wrote:

I don't know that we're supposed to be agnostic on the matter. Thinley Norbu in Cascading Waterfall of Nectar says, "From a Buddhist point of view, worlds that exist beyond the perception of beings with obscured karmic senses cannot be denied." Is differentiating our world as the 'material plane' what we're supposed to do when envisioning our Buddhist cosmology?

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

One thing that should be kept in mind is that these 'alien' beings or aircraft might indeed exist and be alien in some sense, but not be from another planet.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Intelligent life on other planets? Probably. This one? Not so much.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Vasana wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:06 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Vasana wrote:

The probability we are alone is far less than the probability we aren't. Given the sheer ammount of galaxies and stars in the universe it wouldn't be surprising if other planets had life supporting conditions.

As for prapanca, Doesn't Buddhism speak of other world systems and so on?

As for your last point, I agree. There are matters closer to hand that need more ention.
It's kinda hard to know. What is the probability of an intelligent life evolving on an earth-like planet? And how does it compare to the number of earth-like planets in the universe? If it's greater than the reciprocal of the former, than I agree, but...

We don't know the answer to the first question even approximately. And if we did, we still wouldn't be able to answer the second one, since we don't know the number of earth-like planets, even approximately and whether other non-earth like planets can support intelligent life.

So... we really dont know.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm

No we don't.
And anyway, would knowing either way stop afflictions arising? I can't see how it would.
But I am open to persuasion.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Hm, the Buddha clearly said that there is the possibility to be reborn on other planets, or aliens can be reborn on Earth. Countless sentient beings spread all over the Cosmos.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:30 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:17 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Vasana wrote:

I don't know that we're supposed to be agnostic on the matter. Thinley Norbu in Cascading Waterfall of Nectar says, "From a Buddhist point of view, worlds that exist beyond the perception of beings with obscured karmic senses cannot be denied." Is differentiating our world as the 'material plane' what we're supposed to do when envisioning our Buddhist cosmology?
'Supposed'? ......Is my laconic response. :smile:
Personally, dealing with our collective conventional reality takes all I've got, without extra speculation..

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm
No we don't.
And anyway, would knowing either way stop afflictions arising? I can't see how it would.
But I am open to persuasion.
I think knowing for sure would completely shift the current global paradigm/zeitgeist. It might not stop afflictions but it would give us pause for thought about what it means to be sentient, our collective trajectory, what we could learn from our galactic neighbours and family and so on. That in it's self would be a huge shift of focus from the illls of late-stage terminal capitalism that perpetuates and reinforces the afflictions.

I equally think such a paradigm shift could occur if Buddhas, Bodhisattvas or siddhas displayed mass public 'miracles' that would challenge our empirical materialist paradigm.

But ...(sigh)...there is probably the 'prime directive'* and the karma of this world preventing that from happening en mass anytime soon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

Return to “News & Current Events”