Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Simon E.

Re: Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

Post by Simon E. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Is it not likely that any galactic neighbours will be as afflicted and dukkha- ridden as we?
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Some advanced beings would be just as afflicted or more and some less afflicted just like we have in our local realms. Some malevolent and some benevolent.

Some civilizations who would have successfully navigated the same rapid globalization and convergence of social-ecological crisis's that we're struggling with at present. I'm sure the 6 lokas 'template' can be extended through the cosmos to other world systems and their inhabitants since the lokas are structured or conditoned by dominant afflictions. Then there's the civilizations or members who have transcended the gross elements....if all of that sounds like the ramblings of a bugged out and wide eyed loon then we can remember that rainbow bodies and purelands are a thing. :rolleye:

But if you're agnostic to those I can see why the thought of life beyond this planet might be a stretch.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Vasana wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm
a bugged out and wide eyed loon then we can remember that rainbow bodies and purelands are a thing. :rolleye:
Is the Dharma bugged out and loon?
Vasana wrote:
But if you're agnostic to those I can see why the thought of life beyond this planet might be a stretch.
If you are a Buddhist, the knowledge of life elsewhere seems quite natural. Don't let the Pentagon and other boring authorities want to know the best for you.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:35 am

Vasana wrote:
Some advanced beings would be just as afflicted or more and some less afflicted just like we have in our local realms. Some malevolent and some benevolent.

Some civilizations who would have successfully navigated the same rapid globalization and convergence of social-ecological crisis's that we're struggling with at present. I'm sure the 6 lokas 'template' can be extended through the cosmos to other world systems and their inhabitants since the lokas are structured or conditoned by dominant afflictions. Then there's the civilizations or members who have transcended the gross elements....if all of that sounds like the ramblings of a bugged out and wide eyed loon then we can remember that rainbow bodies and purelands are a thing. :rolleye:

Being agnostic means it ISN'T a stretch. Being certain one way or another would be a stretch. Thinking that any of this makes any difference to my practice would be a stretch.
Which is the point at which I came into this particular movie.
The cushion calls.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 am

Vasana wrote:

I once took an Astronomy class called "The Search for Extraterrestrial Life," which was all based on probability and statistics type of stuff. The class, which was led by a PhD astronomer at the University of Texas in Austin (which has a pretty good astronomy program) concluded that life was more likely than not, AND given our location in the universe, most of the life would probably be older and more advanced than us.

I also find Stephen Hawkings' warnings about evil aliens to be a bit absurd, btw.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:44 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:06 am
I also find Stephen Hawkings' warnings about evil aliens to be a bit absurd, btw.
Everyone who are not like us are evil! lol http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383353/

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:37 am

odysseus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 pm
Vasana wrote:
a bugged out and wide eyed loon then we can remember that rainbow bodies and purelands are a thing. :rolleye:
Is the Dharma bugged out and loon?
Vasana wrote:
If you are a Buddhist, the knowledge of life elsewhere seems quite natural. Don't let the Pentagon and other boring authorities want to know the best for you.
You might have misunderstood my tone. For what it's worth, yes, some dharma or religious beleifs would get you the 'bugged out loon' label from a worldly irreligious point of view.
Last edited by Vasana on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:59 am

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:35 am
Vasana wrote:

Being agnostic means it ISN'T a stretch. Being certain one way or another would be a stretch. Thinking that any of this makes any difference to my practice would be a stretch.
Which is the point at which I came into this particular movie.
The cushion calls.
I'm an avid believer that the truth (reality) is stranger than any fiction or science fiction combined. Which for me means although I have some inferential certainty about certain things born from peculiar experiences, the wider context of our bizzare universe always brings me back home to the point that there are things we conventionally know, things we dont know, things we dont-know-we-don't-know and things we can only know upon full realization and fruition of omniscience, 10 powers, extra-bodily cognitions etc. In other words, even our conventional certainties are embedded in a much larger web of fundamental uncertainties. I don't think that needs to invalidate the value of conventional certainties, whether inferential or directly cognizable just as the perception of smoke on a mountain can lead us to infer there is a fire.

To keep it practice focused then...How far does that agnosticism extend to the practice and fruition of dharma? Which parts of the dharma are beyond certainty for us? Can any of those parts be inferred as we practice? How does that effect our practice? You may say it doesn't effect practice but unless we have faith in, infer or glimpse at the fruition, there's no incentive to even be on the path unless you're practicing for conventional benefits in this life only.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 am

Delve back through your thicket and you will find that what I actually said is that I didn't see how it would affect MY practice.
The 'fruition' of that practice is to abide in Original Mind beyond all arising phenomena, the known and the speculative.

If your practice is inspired by the idea of future contact with little green men then I rejoice for you.
And I will leave that there.
Thank you.

Vasana

Post by Vasana » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:14 am

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 am
Delve back through your thicket and you will find that what I actually said is that I didn't see how it would affect MY practice.
The 'fruition' of that practice is to abide in Original Mind beyond all arising phenomena, the known and the speculative.

If your practice is inspired by the idea of future contact with little green men then I rejoice for you.
And I will leave that there.
Thank you.
Simon, (if you havn't put me on your 'ignore' list yet )

My ending questions were not particularly focused towards you individually so I think your condensending reply is uncalled for. I said , 'Which parts of the dharma are beyond certainty for us?'. I know you don't like pracpana but this is an online forum where people discuss all things related to the path. I was attempting to steer my own admittedly derailed thoughts back towards practice and the notion of what we know or directly perceive in the Dharma vs what we infer. Direct and inferential cognition, these are dharma topics.

For example, there have been other threads where the notion of Buddha-nature has been spoken of as article of faith /inference in some contexts, where as in the context of Mahamudra and Dzogchen, Buddha-nature is treated differently and is approached or glimpsed within one's experience of the 'original mind'. Karma is another example of this I remember seeing. We cannot readily see it or prove it but it can be inferred.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

Lucas Oliveira wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 pm
Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/18/polit ... index.html

:alien: :jedi:

:namaste:
Likely story: The US govt is trolling Russia and China... Causing their security and intelligence apparatus to scramble to see if any claimed encounters can be verified.

Some guys in Nevada are having a good laugh.

Leguizado's goatee is as preposterous as this guy's hair:

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:49 am

:good:

Whether alien life forms exist in the Saha universe is a moot point.
The debate both at individual or political level is an example of Displacement.

The Buddha's Three Marks are characteristics of all sentient life in all realms. All realms are Samsaric.
All arise dependently, in great Emptiness.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:56 pm

I started studying spirituality after seeing official evidence on ETs.

and then I found the Buddha’s teachings.

this is another reason why I like and respect this subject.

from the moment that people are sure that we are not alone in the universe, they will be able to understand and value things related to spirituality and also the teachings of the Buddha.

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:59 pm

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Lucas Oliveira wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:56 pm
I started studying spirituality after seeing official evidence on ETs.

and then I found the Buddha’s teachings.

this is another reason why I like and respect this subject.

from the moment that people are sure that we are not alone in the universe, they will be able to understand and value things related to spirituality and also the teachings of the Buddha.

Lots of paths lead to the doors of Dharma. Often it's pain or loss. For others it's that glimpse of that which is beyond conventional reality. Karma-Vipaka takes many forms.
The really important thing is what happens once we are through that door..

with best wishes.. :namaste:

The really important thing is what happens after we pass through that door.

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

Yes, but like two star-crossed lovers, all they were missing were each other:
ob_5db2a2_elizondo.jpg
ob_5db2a2_elizondo.jpg (208.17 KiB) Viewed 714 times

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 pm

My father (whose hair is quite boring) worked for the FBI, and the CIA for years in counter-intelligence. He was involved in a large amount of investigations. If you don't believe me, I can send you a link to the NYT article about him when he allegedly committed espionage (which he didn't do).

Anyways, I've talked to him about UFO's, he's a believer.

I guess some of you think the moon landings were all fake, too, I suppose. :shrug:

CedarTree

Post by CedarTree » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:16 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 am

Yes, but like two star-crossed lovers, all they were missing were each other:

ob_5db2a2_elizondo.jpg
My God, the hair... It's so beautiful! :rolling:

Practice, Practice, Practice

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Vasana wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:59 am
In other words, even our conventional certainties are embedded in a much larger web of fundamental uncertainties. I don't think that needs to invalidate the value of conventional certainties, whether inferential or directly cognizable just as the perception of smoke on a mountain can lead us to infer there is a fire.

To keep it practice focused then...How far does that agnosticism extend to the practice and fruition of dharma? Which parts of the dharma are beyond certainty for us? Can any of those parts be inferred as we practice? How does that effect our practice? You may say it doesn't effect practice but unless we have faith in, infer or glimpse at the fruition, there's no incentive to even be on the path unless you're practicing for conventional benefits in this life only.
Again, very good questions.

And while there is nothing I disagree with as far as the content of Simon's admonitions go, I don't think it is particularly useful for any of us to lecture anyone else on their proliferations. Unless I am mistaken, Simon is not averse to some occasional papanca-diarrhea himself.

Maybe someone could design a smiley for "You deluded wordling you, stop wasting time and get back to practice!!!"

Coming back to your questions. I think I've argued that not much may be needed as far as a belief system goes in the Secular Buddhism
thread. 'Maybe needed' because it varies from person to person. But one thing I've found very useful is an attitude of openness and inquiry.

_/|\_

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:11 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 pm
NYT
That reminds me - this story broke in the NYT... Might be trolling the NYT, too. More ammo for charges of 'fake news'
Anyways, I've talked to him about UFO's, he's a believer.
What does that mean? I believe that there may be flying objects that are unidentified...

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Return to “News & Current Events”