Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Kunzang
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 am

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Kunzang » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:43 am

The thieves in my neighborhood are so bad I can't even grow a few vegetables.
Critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms. - Doris Lessing

Kunzang
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 am

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Kunzang » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 am

Look at these gangstas.
So bold they thought they could come in daylight just because it was a foggy morning.
Attachments
DSC04707r.jpg
DSC04707r.jpg (436.07 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms. - Doris Lessing

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6478
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Queequeg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:12 pm

They say that deer gather around enlightened beings.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28735
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Malcolm » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:12 pm
They say that deer gather around enlightened beings.
Then everyone in upstate NY must be enlightened, because the deer population is a positive road hazard there.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by dzogchungpa » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:12 pm
They say that deer gather around enlightened beings.
Then everyone in upstate NY must be enlightened, because the deer population is a positive road hazard there.

Well, that would follow if deer ONLY gathered around enlightened beings, but that is not what QQ said.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Ricky » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Kunzang wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:51 am
Look at these gangstas.
So bold they thought they could come in daylight just because it was a foggy morning.
Fresh meat

DharmaN00b
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:33 am

Stop being. so silly.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6478
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:12 pm
They say that deer gather around enlightened beings.
Then everyone in upstate NY must be enlightened, because the deer population is a positive road hazard there.

Well, that would follow if deer ONLY gathered around enlightened beings, but that is not what QQ said.
Did you and Ma visit the shrine? How was it?

Upstate NY is kind of an emerging dharma center... Its kind of weird to think that because to me, its kind of hick-y and racist, with a weird, inbred substratum.

Those deer are all over the place. They even wander into Manhattan. Bringing deer ticks and lyme disease. Joy.

We need more coyotes and wolves to cull the population.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Dan74
Founding Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Lyss, Switzerland

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:42 pm


Then everyone in upstate NY must be enlightened, because the deer population is a positive road hazard there.

Well, that would follow if deer ONLY gathered around enlightened beings, but that is not what QQ said.
Did you and Ma visit the shrine? How was it?

Upstate NY is kind of an emerging dharma center... Its kind of weird to think that because to me, its kind of hick-y and racist, with a weird, inbred substratum.

Those deer are all over the place. They even wander into Manhattan. Bringing deer ticks and lyme disease. Joy.

We need more coyotes and wolves to cull the population.
I thought Manhattan was already awash with wolves and coyotes, Wall St and all?

:toilet:

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6333
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by dzogchungpa » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm
Did you and Ma visit the shrine? How was it?

We didn't get a chance yet but I will report back when we do, hopefully soon.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6478
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I thought Manhattan was already awash with wolves and coyotes, Wall St and all?

:toilet:
lol - indeed. Unfortunately, those wolves and coyotes are quite useless. Actually, they've been misidentified as wolves and coyotes. They're actually a type of vampire squid. They were correctly identified and described by Matt Taibbi in 2010:

"great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money"
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Dan74
Founding Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Lyss, Switzerland

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Dan74 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm
Dan74 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I thought Manhattan was already awash with wolves and coyotes, Wall St and all?

:toilet:
lol - indeed. Unfortunately, those wolves and coyotes are quite useless. Actually, they've been misidentified as wolves and coyotes. They're actually a type of vampire squid. They were correctly identified and described by Matt Taibbi in 2010:

"great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money"
They give the vampire squid a bad name. The real vampire squid is a harmless creature and has nothing to do with blood suckers apart from its somewhat alarming appearance.

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Ricky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Did you and Ma visit the shrine? How was it?

Upstate NY is kind of an emerging dharma center... Its kind of weird to think that because to me, its kind of hick-y and racist, with a weird, inbred substratum.

Those deer are all over the place. They even wander into Manhattan. Bringing deer ticks and lyme disease. Joy.

We need more coyotes and wolves to cull the population.
No hunting allowed in New York state?

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 6478
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Queequeg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Ricky wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 pm
Fresh meat
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm
No hunting allowed in New York state?
Are you trying to tell us you hunt? Congratulations.

Hunting is legal and regulated like most jurisdictions. This is anecdotal, but it seems other than Don Jr. with his too-big-for-his-mouth incisors and make-believe safaris to shoot exotic animals inside closed pens, hunting is not all that popular around here anymore. If you were to ask most people, they'd probably more or less tell you that killing things is just not that fun.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28735
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Malcolm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 pm
Ricky wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 pm
Fresh meat
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm
No hunting allowed in New York state?
Are you trying to tell us you hunt? Congratulations.

Hunting is legal and regulated like most jurisdictions. This is anecdotal, but it seems other than Don Jr. with his too-big-for-his-mouth incisors and make-believe safaris to shoot exotic animals inside closed pens, hunting is not all that popular around here anymore. If you were to ask most people, they'd probably more or less tell you that killing things is just not that fun.

Yup, not as many drunk New Yorkers roaming the woods of New England shooting each other and anything else that moves during hunting season as there used to be say 30 years ago...there was a time though one had to paint one's dog orange so it would not get shot...
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 3502
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Uni-verse

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Virgo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Yup, not as many drunk New Yorkers roaming the woods of New England shooting each other and anything else that moves during hunting season as there used to be say 30 years ago...there was a time though one had to paint one's dog orange so it would not get shot...
Yes, I always keep an orange beanie cap in my glove box, in case I want to go for a walk during hunting season.

Kevin

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:13 pm

I went hunting with my dad once.

A bunch of elderly men getting very very very very high. Then going out into the woods to chill a bit on the pretension that something is going to be caught/shot.

That's hunting as far as I know it.
如無為、如是難見、不動、不屈、不死、無漏、覆蔭、洲渚、濟渡、依止、擁護、不流轉、離熾焰、離燒然、流通、清涼、微妙、安隱、無病、無所有、涅槃。
Like this is the uncreated, like this is that which is difficult to realize, with no moving, no bending, no dying. Utterly lacking secretions and smothered in the dark, it is the island shore. Where there is ferrying, it is the crossing. It is dependency's ceasing, it is the end of circulating transmissions. It is the exhaustion of the flame, it is the ending of the burning. Flowing openly, pure and cool, with secret subtlety, and calm occultation, lacking ailment, lacking owning, nirvāṇa.
Asaṁskṛtadharmasūtra, Sermon on the Uncreated Phenomenon, T99.224b7, Saṁyuktāgama 890

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Ricky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 pm
Ricky wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 pm
Fresh meat
Ricky wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:27 pm
No hunting allowed in New York state?
Are you trying to tell us you hunt? Congratulations.

Hunting is legal and regulated like most jurisdictions. This is anecdotal, but it seems other than Don Jr. with his too-big-for-his-mouth incisors and make-believe safaris to shoot exotic animals inside closed pens, hunting is not all that popular around here anymore. If you were to ask most people, they'd probably more or less tell you that killing things is just not that fun.
Each to their own. It seems enjoyable.

I might get my rifle and hunting licenses one day, but I am conflicted by the first percept a bit.

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Ricky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:13 pm
I went hunting with my dad once.

A bunch of elderly men getting very very very very high. Then going out into the woods to chill a bit on the pretension that something is going to be caught/shot.

That's hunting as far as I know it.
Yeah its all oldies hunting these days. My generation would rather stay at home, eat doritos, and play call of duty on xbox. Very unhealthy lifestyles.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28735
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Wherever a Buddha appears - the world is purified

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:49 pm

Ricky wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:31 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:13 pm
I went hunting with my dad once.

A bunch of elderly men getting very very very very high. Then going out into the woods to chill a bit on the pretension that something is going to be caught/shot.

That's hunting as far as I know it.
Yeah its all oldies hunting these days. My generation would rather stay at home, eat doritos, and play call of duty on xbox. Very unhealthy lifestyles.
In my neck of the woods, it is mostly bow hunters...
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Post Reply

Return to “News & Current Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests