Weed is now legal in California

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
dzogchungpa

Weed is now legal in California

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 pm

I just realized this. MIght have to stop by here, just out of curiosity, of course. :woohoo:
Everything is divided
Nothing is complete
Everything looks impressive
Do not be deceived - David Byrne

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 pm
I just realized this. MIght have to stop by here, just out of curiosity, of course. :woohoo:
I wouldn't do that if I were you, unless you are a registered resident of California, coz it is still a criminal offence for non-residents caught in California with ganja.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm
dzogchungpa wrote:
I wouldn't do that if I were you, unless you are a registered resident of California ...

I am. :smile:
Everything is divided
Nothing is complete

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Everything is divided
Nothing is complete

Quay

Post by Quay » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 am

Grigoris wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
I wouldn't do that if I were you, unless you are a registered resident of California, coz it is still a criminal offence for non-residents caught in California with ganja.
Actually no. There is no residency requirement for purchasing recreational marijuana. You only have to have a valid ID (not necessarily from California) proving you are 21 or older. Though what's bought in California is supposed to stay in California.
"Knowledge is as infinite as the stars in the sky;
There is no end to all the subjects one could study.
It is better to grasp straight away their very essence--
The unchanging fortress of the Dharmakaya."

– Longchenpa.

Motova

Post by Motova » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:11 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

Motova

Post by Motova » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm
The four means of converting beings to the Dharma are generosity (which itself as four aspects: giving material gifts, conferring fearlessness, loving kindness and teaching Dharma), pleasant speech, conduct and setting an example.

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 am

California resident here. :) I caught a bit of CNN's New Year's eve coverage last night, just hearing Anderson Cooper talking about "Sativa" and "Kush" was sort of funny.

California also outlawed asking people about their criminal history in job applications.

justsit

Post by justsit » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:12 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 am
California resident here. :) I caught a bit of CNN's New Year's eve coverage last night, just hearing Anderson Cooper talking about "Sativa" and "Kush" was sort of funny.

California also outlawed asking people about their criminal history in job applications.
People still smoke weed? :tongue:

And sorry to go a bit off topic, but this is surprising about the job apps. No screening now for day care workers??

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 am

Well, me and dzogchungma stopped by but the line was down the block. :cry:

We did get to sample some Zapt "Elevated Eats" outside the store although, sadly, they were "unmedicated". :cry: Pretty tasty though. :smile:

Anyway, we took this picture of the street balloon display thingy:

BPG.jpg
BPG.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Everything is divided
Nothing is complete

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:20 am

Grigoris wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
When was the last time you were in Cali?
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 am
Well, me and dzogchungma stopped by but the line was down the block. :cry:

We did get to sample some Zapt "Elevated Eats" outside the store although, sadly, they were "unmedicated". :cry: Pretty tasty though. :smile:

Anyway, we took this picture of the street balloon display thingy:

BPG.jpg
But marijuana is and has been everywhere in California long before this law, what are they doing that's so special? You and Dzogchunma could have just stopped by my place, no line. :D

krodha

Post by krodha » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 am
But marijuana is and has been everywhere in California long before this law, what are they doing that's so special? You and Dzogchunma could have just stopped by my place, no line. :D
Marijuana is now recreationally legal in CA, which means if you are 21 you can purchase it without a prescription, just like alcohol.

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 am

In my honest opinion, society in general would be a much better place if smoko was legal and booze was illegal. I can't ever remember even hearing about an all in brawl between potheads. Drug free of course would be even better.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 am

shaunc wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 am
In my honest opinion, society in general would be a much better place if smoko was legal and booze was illegal. I can't ever remember even hearing about an all in brawl between potheads. Drug free of course would be even better.
Prohibition doesnt work. All it does is make organized criminal organizations thrive. Same thing is happening with cocaine and other banned substances now. The mexican drug cartels are making billions and murdering loads of people every year.

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 am

bfaus wrote:
Norwegian wrote:"Long ago, about one hundred years after lord Buddha had passed into Nirvana, in the land of China there was a girl of the race of demons who having been driven mad by her mind of great lust, spoke these words as she was dying: "With this body of mine, I pray that beings of this earth may be lead to the lower realms. Bury my corpse intact and after some time a flower, different from all others will grow from my womb. Merely by smelling its scent one will experience in both body and mind an unimaginable bliss, far more pleasurable than the union of male and female. It will spread far and wide until most of the beings on this earth will enjoy it."
This sounds more like opium rather than tobacco. I have never derived that much pleasure from tobacco. :tongue:

Drodul Lingpa discovered the following predictions: "By merely smelling the odor of these herbs, grasses and leaves which sprang from a drop of blood of an ogress, one will go to the Vajra hell."
Does this mean I'm already screwed and destined for Vajra hell?

That certainly does not sound like a description of tobacco, but opium rather.

Posted in another thread, regarding tobacco, and marijuana (?):

Benten wrote:I have in hand a copy of a teaching by the previous Kalu Rinpoche. He said that 'smoking' pretty much screws up your ability to open the chakras and really screws up the lotuses. Helluva a hard time controlling the winds and mind if you smoke. And at some point moot. Also there is a profound Guru Rinpoche Terma (two red texts currently packed so no direct quote) where it is stated if you smoke it will be eons before you are in his presence....

This also sounds like it could be in reference to opium, rather than marijuana.

I want to know if Benten still visits this forum, or if anyone knows which Terma he is referring to here.

In any case, I think that if you've smoked any of these substances before, the quotes from various texts, Termas, etc. here do not necessarily indicate that Vajra hell is inevitable, or that you definitely won't be in Guru Rinpoche's presence for eons, etc.

I think that they do indicate however that if you've smoked these kinds of things before and yet you do not purify the karma accumulated from having done so, then the hells etc. will come. Therefore, for anyone who is in the habit of smoking anything like tobacco, opium, marijuana, or taking synthetic/artificial drugs, it would be wise to just stop it; and then start doing purification and healing practices, along with various cleanses and Tibetan Medicines and so forth.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
“...we should try to acquire clairvoyance. Without it, we are like a baby bird whose wings are undeveloped and has not yet grown feathers and remains stuck in its nest, unable to fly. Without clairvoyance, we cannot work for other sentient beings.” — Khunu Lama
“Just as a bird can not fly without both wings,
The welfare of others cannot be accomplished without the higher faculties of perception,
So diligently strive for your own wellbeing, whilst mentally considering the welfare of others.” — Longchenpa

Lindama

Post by Lindama » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 am

It never agreed with me, but up here on the Russian River in Northern CA, it's a staple as it is farther to the north. I've met ppl who grow small amounts to pay the rent when jobs are scarce. Nothing is hidden .... Neighbors know neighbors who grow. Far worse, there is meth, no secret where it is.... the neighbors want it gone. Only so much the cops can help... Mostly, everybody keeps to their own yard... so, it's legal?
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Ricky wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 am
shaunc wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 am
Prohibition doesnt work. All it does is make organized criminal organizations thrive. Same thing is happening with cocaine and other banned substances now. The mexican drug cartels are making billions and murdering loads of people every year.
It also inflates prices.

Apparently, all those pot smoking gardeners who thought they would get rich becoming licensed commercial growers are learning that they can't compete with agri-business. Without the cops and robbers risk and criminal lawyers on retainer, overhead drops. Pot becomes just another commodity with low margins. Wholesale prices are reportedly down to 2 or 3 dollars a gram. All the pot consumed in the US could be grown on 10,000 acres. Big farms in the Midwest are commonly 1,000 acres. All the pot in the country could be grown by 10 farmers.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:20 am
When was the last time you were in Cali?
??? :shrug:

Just reporting on a news item I read.

Actually I have no desire to visit California, or the US. None at all. Granted there would be some amazing nature to see there, but...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm
None at all.
Your loss. The US is a great place to live and practice Dharma.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra