Weed is now legal in California

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 pm
Oooooh. So they work at a terrible bar, can't admit it because its famous, and are inwardly ashamed of it and are a bit embarrassed that their bar doesn't serve whiskey and make up for it with aggression. Sounds authentically like an Irish responce to something.
LOL. Pretty much.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm

conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm
Love McSorley's.
It's a Brit Thing.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/bus ... 3122082253
That is brilliant. But I would not tell those servers its a Brit think. Might get a punch in the mouth muttering something about Cromwell.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1549
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Location: Whitby, Ontario

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm
Love McSorley's.
It's a Brit Thing.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/bus ... 3122082253
That is brilliant. But I would not tell those servers its a Brit think. Might get a punch in the mouth muttering something about Cromwell.
More of the abovementioned defence mechanisms IMO.

They know its a Brit thing. That's why they get angry about it.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.

吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm
Love McSorley's.
It's a Brit Thing.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/bus ... 3122082253
That is brilliant. But I would not tell those servers its a Brit think. Might get a punch in the mouth muttering something about Cromwell.
More of the abovementioned defence mechanisms IMO.

They know its a Brit thing. That's why they get angry about it.
Oh, jeez. You might get a punch in the mouth.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 4795
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by conebeckham » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm


That is brilliant. But I would not tell those servers its a Brit think. Might get a punch in the mouth muttering something about Cromwell.
More of the abovementioned defence mechanisms IMO.

They know its a Brit thing. That's why they get angry about it.
Oh, jeez. You might get a punch in the mouth.
:rolling:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Ricky
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Ricky » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm

aflatun wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 pm


Believe it not, but they did a test of bagels, using exact same production methods in NYC and in SF. The NYC bagels still tasted better. In the end, it was decided that the difference was the water used in the process.
I've heard that, and I think I believe it. For example Giovanni's pizzeria in Sunnyvale,CA is run by some Italian gents from my old haunts on Strwang Island...they clearly know what they're doing (open shirt collars, tons of chest hairs poking out at you, gold chains and maybe even slicked hair...like I said, clearly know what they're doing) but as good as the pizza and garlic knots are, there's still something off about the damn crust and sauce. :techproblem:
Does some of that oily chest hair ever fall off and get baked into the pizza?

User avatar
dzogchungpa
Posts: 6196
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Ricky wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm
aflatun wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 pm


Believe it not, but they did a test of bagels, using exact same production methods in NYC and in SF. The NYC bagels still tasted better. In the end, it was decided that the difference was the water used in the process.
I've heard that, and I think I believe it. For example Giovanni's pizzeria in Sunnyvale,CA is run by some Italian gents from my old haunts on Strwang Island...they clearly know what they're doing (open shirt collars, tons of chest hairs poking out at you, gold chains and maybe even slicked hair...like I said, clearly know what they're doing) but as good as the pizza and garlic knots are, there's still something off about the damn crust and sauce. :techproblem:
Does some of that oily chest hair ever fall off and get baked into the pizza?


That would really give new meaning to the expression "hair pie".
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

User avatar
Lobsang Chojor
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:08 pm
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm

conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm
Love McSorley's.
It's a Brit Thing.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/bus ... 3122082253
:rolling:
Definitely a Brit thing, I've had to wait behind a few.

Definitely would be "interesting" to see someone mention that to an Irish or Irish American person though
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5

User avatar
PuerAzaelis
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by PuerAzaelis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm
And if you go to McSorley's, order a whiskey. LOL. They will give you the bum's rush.
Someone should start a new thread for NYC bar stories.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:15 am

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:51 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm
And if you go to McSorley's, order a whiskey. LOL. They will give you the bum's rush.
Someone should start a new thread for NYC bar stories.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

boda
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by boda » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm
But good intensions often get undermined by basic drives. It's why pretty much every religion codifies good behavior. If the inclination to being healthy and having a meaningful life was overriding, there'd be no needs for rules and the hospitals would not be full of people who made bad choices their whole lives.

I'm not disagreeing with you but our lizard brain has a way of undermining our higher ideals.
Maybe being raised in your particular culture, with it's concepts and values, makes it seem that health and meaning are "higher ideals," and are easily overridden by base instincts.
Minobu wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 am
weed along with massive decadence will be the end to it all...how far is it going to go ...seriously...we are now doing exactly what we did a million times...grow an empire and destroy it from with in with decadence...
Decadence may loosely mean self-indulgence but more broadly it means decline or degradation, so it's as though you're saying that society will be degraded with degradation. Anyway, before you wrote that "The decadence of the thing [pot, I assume] corrupts society..", which suggests that society wasn't previously corrupt. Of course that's silly, and it leaves the question of what the real cause or causes may be.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10 am

boda wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am
Maybe being raised in your particular culture, with it's concepts and values, makes it seem that health and meaning are "higher ideals," and are easily overridden by base instincts.
In what world are the very best intentions for health and meaning not short circuited by... craving, anger, ignorance? And who says seeking meaning itself is not a fool's errand?

Ah, Boda.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
Posts: 7975
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA
Contact:

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 am

Reggie Ray has some interesting views on this sort of thing, oddly I'd heard similar years ago from my uncle, who among other things studied anthropology.

Basically what Ray contends is that a lot of the 'inborn' tendency towards addiction, accumulation etc. Is due to the divorce from 'natural' patterns of living that existed prior to the agricultural revolution. I personally find the argument anecdotally compelling. I suspect that conventionally some of our dysfunction (addiction etc.) has nothing to do with biological determinism, but is a reaction to the screwy lives we lead in ' late samsara'.

That's why the best treatment programs (you know, the ones for rich people) often attempt a return to a 'simpler' form of living.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9253
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by DGA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:35 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 am
I was kidding about feeling mocked, btw, I want to clarify that my emoji was meant in jest. :)
Of course. I just have to overexplain sometimes because there are a few souls here at DW who aren't happy unless they're unhappy about something I write. So it goes.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9253
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by DGA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Katz' is pretty dope. On a related note, Second Avenue Deli and Carnegie Deli closed.

Swiss cheese and a little raw onion on the pastrami is acceptable. And only mustard and saurkraut on your dog. But for dogs, its gotta be Papaya. Some say Nathan's.

And if you go to McSorley's, order a whiskey. LOL. They will give you the bum's rush.
That's great, but what's with the locals policing the choices of their neighbors and strangers in their midst? I figure if some stranger wants to put hot peppers on his wiener, what's the harm?

boda
Posts: 1847
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by boda » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 am

Queequeg wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10 am
who says seeking meaning itself is not a fool's errand?
Wildly off-topic but if you don't mind explaining a bit. An odd thing for a religious person to say.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:09 am

When I was living in Brooklyn, by the Gowanus Canal on Caroll Street, I lived next to all these Italians, and I could never get over the fact they were always talking about spaghetti." I'd hear on a daily basis, "are you making the spaghetti?" "come over youse guys, we're eating the spaghetti" etc

No lasagna, gnocchi, rigatoni...only spaghetti

I probably should have posted that in Random Thoughts, oh well

amanitamusc
Posts: 978
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by amanitamusc » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:09 am
When I was living in Brooklyn, by the Gowanus Canal on Caroll Street, I lived next to all these Italians, and I could never get over the fact they were always talking about spaghetti." I'd hear on a daily basis, "are you making the spaghetti?" "come over youse guys, we're eating the spaghetti" etc

No lasagna, gnocchi, rigatoni...only spaghetti

I probably should have posted that in Random Thoughts, oh well
It seems they were living the stereotype .I didn't here so much pasta talk in Venice.Lotsa seafood though.
It depends where in the world people come from.

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:18 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 am
Reggie Ray has some interesting views on this sort of thing, oddly I'd heard similar years ago from my uncle, who among other things studied anthropology.

Basically what Ray contends is that a lot of the 'inborn' tendency towards addiction, accumulation etc. Is due to the divorce from 'natural' patterns of living that existed prior to the agricultural revolution. I personally find the argument anecdotally compelling. I suspect that conventionally some of our dysfunction (addiction etc.) has nothing to do with biological determinism, but is a reaction to the screwy lives we lead in ' late samsara'.

That's why the best treatment programs (you know, the ones for rich people) often attempt a return to a 'simpler' form of living.
Maybe. There is something garden of Eden about it though... A mythical time when all was well.

From the records we have, of civilizations coming in contact with Hunter gatherer tribes, they sound like vicious people. The Chinese built a wall to keep them out, and the Romans have some stories about fighting them. I'm not saying it's not true, but along with the whole Paleo diet thing, it sounds like there's a lot of projection and speculation about how great it is to live by the hunt. A fiction like Locke's idea about life before social contract.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

User avatar
Queequeg
Global Moderator
Posts: 5464
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:29 am

boda wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 am
Queequeg wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:10 am
who says seeking meaning itself is not a fool's errand?
Wildly off-topic but if you don't mind explaining a bit. An odd thing for a religious person to say.
We stopped discussing legal pot pages ago.

You do realize, this is a Buddhist website. You know, anatman, sunyata. The search for meaning is impossible.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Post Reply

Return to “News & Current Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests