Weed is now legal in California

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:59 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm
Dzongcumpa, you're from NY?

Dzongcumpa? What are you, high?

Anyway, assuming you are in fact addressing me, I am indeed from NY.
Of course. That sense of humor is not indigenous to the west coast.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Sorry bout the typo. Lol. Right up there with minibus.
Entered a stupa compound

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm
No, it surpasses minibus by a large margin.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:27 pm
Queequeg wrote:
No, it surpasses minibus by a large margin.
Cum on, it wasn't that bad! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Queequeg wrote:

It was probably autocorrect.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:49 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm
Queequeg wrote:

It was probably autocorrect.
Nah, it was a deliberate and pernicious stab at you, as personal as it can get. I recommend a hissy fit, right now! :tantrum:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:56 pm

https://ny.eater.com/maps/new-york-iconic-dishes

If you are in NYC, visit Katz's Deli. "Send a salami to your boy in the army". Order a hot dog and a pastrami on rye. While you are waiting for them to make the sandwich, eat the hot dog. When the cutter asks you if you want lettuce tomato or mayo on your sandwich, he is making fun of you, whatever you do do not say yes, if you do you will be asked to leave and perhaps physically harmed.

When you finally obtain the sandwich it will be approximately seventeen times as tall as it is wide. Then try to locate a table. if you find one, try to eat it. It will be like trying to juggle loose sauerkraut on a packed subway car, so good luck.

Once you have consumed the sandwich, congratulations. On your way out, try to locate the signed photograph on the wall of Bill Clinton, who apparently consumed "matzo ball soup, two hot dogs, a pastrami sandwich, two knishes and a diet coke".
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

aflatun

Post by aflatun » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Believe it not, but they did a test of bagels, using exact same production methods in NYC and in SF. The NYC bagels still tasted better. In the end, it was decided that the difference was the water used in the process.
I've heard that, and I think I believe it. For example Giovanni's pizzeria in Sunnyvale,CA is run by some Italian gents from my old haunts on Strwang Island...they clearly know what they're doing (open shirt collars, tons of chest hairs poking out at you, gold chains and maybe even slicked hair...like I said, clearly know what they're doing) but as good as the pizza and garlic knots are, there's still something off about the damn crust and sauce. :techproblem:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm

I like dominos?

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Virgo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm
I like dominos?

Kevin
Do you not remember your roots, sir?!!!

It must be the munchies.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 pm
Virgo wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:13 pm
I like dominos?

Kevin
Do you not remember your roots, sir?!!!

It must be the munchies.
Oh yes, I have sampled many an NYC pizza. IT is alwas nice when that Italian anti-voodoo horn thing is hanging near the door when you walk in, and the guy goes, "Hey, howya'dooon', long time no see, eh?

Love it.

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:56 pm
https://ny.eater.com/maps/new-york-iconic-dishes

If you are in NYC, visit Katz's Deli. "Send a salami to your boy in the army". Order a hot dog and a pastrami on rye. While you are waiting for them to make the sandwich, eat the hot dog. When the cutter asks you if you want lettuce tomato or mayo on your sandwich, he is making fun of you, whatever you do do not say yes, if you do you will be asked to leave and perhaps physically harmed.

When you finally obtain the sandwich it will be approximately seventeen times as tall as it is wide. Then try to locate a table. if you find one, try to eat it. It will be like trying to juggle loose sauerkraut on a packed subway car, so good luck.

Once you have consumed the sandwich, congratulations. On your way out, try to locate the signed photograph on the wall of Bill Clinton, who apparently consumed "matzo ball soup, two hot dogs, a pastrami sandwich, two knishes and a diet coke".
Katz' is pretty dope. On a related note, Second Avenue Deli and Carnegie Deli closed.

Swiss cheese and a little raw onion on the pastrami is acceptable. And only mustard and saurkraut on your dog. But for dogs, its gotta be Papaya. Some say Nathan's.

And if you go to McSorley's, order a whiskey. LOL. They will give you the bum's rush.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:50 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Some say Nathan's.
I once made the mistake of ordering a hamburger at Nathans.

it was kind of like the scene from the movie where the bar falls silent and everyone turns to look at you.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Queequeg wrote:
LOL :twothumbsup:

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Pizza started in Italy in restaurant kitchens when cooks would just basically put a bunch of scraps in the wood-fired brick oven for a snack. They would have some dough, sauce (gravy in Italy of course), cheese, etc. for other things, and they would just make a pizza and put it in the oven and before you know it, it is done, and there you have the conception of pizza, the ninja turtles, etc... no wait that's not the conception of the Ninja turtles, that happened later in Northampton Ma (the ninja turtles do like pizza though).

Kevin
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:15 pm

PuerAzaelis wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:50 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Some say Nathan's.
I once made the mistake of ordering a hamburger at Nathans.

it was kind of like the scene from the movie where the bar falls silent and everyone turns to look at you.
That's kind of what it's like if you order whiskey, or anything other than dark or light beer at McSorley's, except you'd immediately be excoriated with a "Get the fawk out!" in a thick Irish brogue. Gotta say, though, McSorley's has the coolest urinals I've ever seen. They are huge. Big enough to hide in and take a puff from your vaporizer (to bring this back the the OP).
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:15 pm
you'd immediately be excoriated with a "Get the fawk out!" in a thick Irish brogue
What kind of plastic paddy gets angry at anyone for ordering a nice glass of whiskey?
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.
吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः
उत्पन्नाजातुविद्यन्तेभावाःक्वचनकेचन

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 pm
Queequeg wrote:
you'd immediately be excoriated with a "Get the fawk out!" in a thick Irish brogue
What kind of plastic paddy gets angry at anyone for ordering a nice glass of whiskey?
Nah. The servers are FOB. There's a big FOB Irish community in NYC. They call Irish Americans narrowbacks. McClean Ave in Yonkers on a Friday night, you're more likely to hear Irish accents than NY.

Anyways, they don't serve anything but light or dark ale and have no patience if you don't know what you are ordering. Women weren't allowed in until 1980 when they got sued.

Charming place. Smells like mildewed keg.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Queequeg wrote:
Nah. The servers are FOB. There's a big FOB Irish community in NYC. They call Irish Americans narrowbacks. McClean Ave in Yonkers on a Friday night, you're more likely to hear Irish accents than NY.

Anyways, they don't serve anything but light or dark ale and have no patience if you don't know what you are ordering. Women weren't allowed in until 1980 when they got sued.

Oooooh. So they work at a terrible bar, can't admit it because its famous, and are inwardly ashamed of it and are a bit embarrassed that their bar doesn't serve whiskey and make up for it with aggression. Sounds authentically like an Irish responce to something.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.
吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः
उत्पन्नाजातुविद्यन्तेभावाःक्वचनकेचन

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Queequeg wrote:

Love McSorley's.
It's a Brit Thing.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/bus ... 3122082253
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “News & Current Events”