Weed is now legal in California

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Joseph

Re: Weed is now legal in California

Post by Joseph » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm
kirtu wrote: Unfortunately some people are very susceptible to these substances. Some alcohol for many people should be fine though. But for some it's not.

Tobacco clearly just obscures ones inner body. I've seen one Zen teacher smoke (and he admitted that it was an addiction and didn't recommend it). It probably obscured him as well (IMHO he was highly realized). Then I heard of one highly realized Tibetan teacher who took tobacco in some form. Then I think a person like Dudjom Lingpa smoked but used it to demonstrate that one should not smoke. For most people it just clearly completely obscures them.

Kirt
I actually should have known better, once one has a few years of consistently addictive behavior with a substance, it's diffcult to ever handle it normally again. I'd convinced myself that it was long ago and now was different. To a degree I was right, itd take a lot to bring me back to my old patterns, but that doesn't change the fact that alcohol has a bad effect on me.
Yup, I agree . I can see it would take some effort to snuggle back into the old habits, but it is dangerously possible - and once in that mode, who knows how long before I come across a sliver of clarity to start walking out again.

Now I have to watch confused monkey mind try and cling onto and create conceptual problems even greater than normal :crazy: :popcorn:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:41 am

Joseph wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:58 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm
kirtu wrote: Unfortunately some people are very susceptible to these substances. Some alcohol for many people should be fine though. But for some it's not.

Tobacco clearly just obscures ones inner body. I've seen one Zen teacher smoke (and he admitted that it was an addiction and didn't recommend it). It probably obscured him as well (IMHO he was highly realized). Then I heard of one highly realized Tibetan teacher who took tobacco in some form. Then I think a person like Dudjom Lingpa smoked but used it to demonstrate that one should not smoke. For most people it just clearly completely obscures them.

Kirt
I actually should have known better, once one has a few years of consistently addictive behavior with a substance, it's diffcult to ever handle it normally again. I'd convinced myself that it was long ago and now was different. To a degree I was right, itd take a lot to bring me back to my old patterns, but that doesn't change the fact that alcohol has a bad effect on me.
Yup, I agree . I can see it would take some effort to snuggle back into the old habits, but it is dangerously possible - and once in that mode, who knows how long before I come across a sliver of clarity to start walking out again.

Now I have to watch confused monkey mind try and cling onto and create conceptual problems even greater than normal :crazy: :popcorn:

Present life situation and karmic patterns have so much to do with it too, right now I have a wife, kids, and a stable life, to a degree it places real positive limits on my ability to isolate myself and engage in that kind of behavior. If that wasn't the case, who knows what I'd be doing, probably a lot more drinkin' alone.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am

This is a decent visual representation of what it's like to dose up aggressively on booze and weed.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 pm

I was once in Chatral Rinpoche's presence when a Frenchman, obviously a stoner, asked him about marijuana usage. Rinpoche said that habitual use of ganja could cloud the mind in such a way that one's faculties would become duller even when not using it and this would probably lead to lower births, perhaps even in hell. Food for thought; sorry to be a wet blanket.

Parenthetically, Rinpoche's daughter, who was translating, abbreviated his discourse a little, and the Frenchman did not speak English too fluently, so the result was that he left with the idea that he was surely going to hell. Upset him a little bit.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:10 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 pm
I was once in Chatral Rinpoche's presence when a Frenchman, obviously a stoner, asked him about marijuana usage. Rinpoche said that habitual use of ganja could cloud the mind in such a way that one's faculties would become duller even when not using it and this would probably lead to lower births, perhaps even in hell. Food for thought; sorry to be a wet blanket.

Parenthetically, Rinpoche's daughter, who was translating, abbreviated his discourse a little, and the Frenchman did not speak English too fluently, so the result was that he left with the idea that he was surely going to hell. Upset him a little bit.

That sounds like a real buzzkill.
Everything is divided
Nothing is complete
Everything looks impressive
Do not be deceived - David Byrne

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:01 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 pm

It makes sense - I'm still feeling dull - it's evaporated my view!

and not in the viewless view way, more in the all encompassing confusion sorta way. :emb:

Lesson learnt the hard way :tantrum: