Wolff book about Trump

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Wolff book about Trump

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm

For giggles, schadenfreude, or alarm...

Michael Wolff: My Insane Year Inside Trump's White House

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... se-1071504
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

boda

Re: Wolff book about Trump

Post by boda » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 pm

CNN wrote:Charles Harder, an attorney representing the president, sent a cease-and-desist letter to Wolff and his publisher, Henry Holt, on Thursday morning.

The legal letter, a copy of which was obtained by CNNMoney, demanded that the publisher "cease and desist from any further publication, release or dissemination" of the book "Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House."
For tabloid trash they seem to be taking it seriously. Maybe their 'truthiness' has come back to bite them in the ass. :tongue:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm
For giggles, schadenfreude, or alarm...

Michael Wolff: My Insane Year Inside Trump's White House

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... se-1071504
The letter by Beverly Hills-based attorney Charles J. Harder demanded the publisher, Henry Holt and Co., “immediately cease and desist from any further publication, release or dissemination of the book” or excerpts and summaries of its contents. The lawyers also seek a full copy of the book as part of their investigation.

The latest twist in the showdown came after lawyers accused Bannon of breaching a confidentiality agreement and Trump denounced his former aide as a self-aggrandizing political charlatan who has “lost his mind.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ef223afd5e

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Huckster Slanders is giving a press briefing now...it's embarrassing. More embarrassing than the usual ones, I think.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm

26230621_543148222736635_4812059682367108970_n.jpg
26230621_543148222736635_4812059682367108970_n.jpg (60.82 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Trump’s lawyers are seeking an injunction against the book being published. I think they’d have to have a pretty good case, wouldn’t they? I noticed that on Slate, which is certainly no friend of the Trump presidency, there was a pretty critical appraisal of Michael Wolff’s overall reliability, saying that he has a track record of unattributed quotations and embellishments. All that said, everything quoted so far seems entirely in keeping with what we see of Trump. Especially the fact that Trump honestly didn’t believe he would win the Presidency, and had only ever run for publicity and self-aggrandisement, and that Melania cried bitter tears on the night of the election.

As always, though, whatever is said is surrounded by claim, counter-claim, accusations, finger-pointing and acrimony - very much in keeping with the Trump presidency.
Meditating is learning to love nothing.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm
Trump’s lawyers are seeking an injunction against the book being published. I think they’d have to have a pretty good case, wouldn’t they?
Nope. This is America. The government could not shut down the Pentagon Papers, what makes you think Trump can shut this down?
I noticed that on Slate, which is certainly no friend of the Trump presidency, there was a pretty critical appraisal of Michael Wolff’s overall reliability, saying that he has a track record of unattributed quotations and embellishments.
Wolff has recordings. Lots of them. The Trump Administration, in their continued display of complete incompetence actually permitted a gossip columnist 6 months of unfettered access to the White House. We don't even need to ask,"What were they thinking," because clearly no one is thinking inside the White House at all these days, not since Obama moved out.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mr. G

Post by Mr. G » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm

• How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 pm
The Trump Administration, in their continued display of complete incompetence actually permitted a gossip columnist 6 months of unfettered access to the White House.
The Real World: DC

To quote Spicer, "You can't make this shit up."
Entered a stupa compound

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Malcolm wrote:The government could not shut down the Pentagon Papers, what makes you think Trump can shut this down?
Different kind of case - there's a clear 'national interest' case in the former, this case mainly concerns defamation. I'm not saying that I think it would be a good thing, but I think the publishers would have to be very mindful of being sued out of existence, which does happen in some cases. We'll find out pretty quickly, I imagine.

BTW - speaking of the Pentagon Papers - Spielberg's latest film is on that very topic, looks like one worth seeing.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm
Malcolm wrote:The government could not shut down the Pentagon Papers, what makes you think Trump can shut this down?
Different kind of case - there's a clear 'national interest' case in the former, this case mainly concerns defamation. I'm not saying that I think it would be a good thing, but I think the publishers would have to be very mindful of being sued out of existence, which does happen in some cases. We'll find out pretty quickly, I imagine.
Dude, this is not England. This is America. This will be tossed out of court in a New York minute. Nothing Bannon, etc. said was in public. Therefore, it is protected speech under the First Amendment.

Henry Holt is part of Macmillan, which is a multibillion dollar publisher. There is no scenario in which Trump can outspend Macmillan.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Malcolm wrote:This will be tossed out of court in a New York minute.
Here's hoping! :twothumbsup:

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 pm

CNN notes that the publication date is brought forward to today. Also that the 'cease and desist notice' is not a lawsuit and that 'Legal experts said an actual lawsuit is highly unlikely.'

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 am

Cat has emerged from the bag and is coughing up the furballs.
Aside from legit publication, every pirate site in the world will now have the pdf.

We've had many extracts quoted here in the UK and I don't think people will be remotely surprised by any of it............. the only 'news' to me was the detailed description of the hair weaving. Ironically, that may be what most upsets him.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:00 pm

"There's no such thing as bad publicity, except your own obituary."
Brendan Behan (who referred to himself as a "drinker with a writing problem")
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 pm
Malcolm wrote:This will be tossed out of court in a New York minute.
Here's hoping! :twothumbsup:
In the US, public figures are generally barred from bring defamation suits. If I recall correctly, in fall of 2016 Trump tried to bring a defamation suit against someone and it was laughed out of court with the judge saying that Trump had so damaged his own reputation, no one could do worse.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 am
Aside from legit publication, every pirate site in the world will now have the pdf.

Yup, just downloaded it. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm

There’s an article by Wolff in Hollywood Reporter about the book. Wolff points out that at the outset, he asked Trump if he could spend time at the West Wing and write a book, and conveys the fact that Trump didn’t really seem to understand the question, but didn’t say ‘no’. So the existence of this book itself is a consequence of Trump’s incompetence! Wolff has hundreds of hours of recordings in support of the book. I would say he’s performed an invaluable public service.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 pm
There’s an article by Wolff in Hollywood Reporter about the book. Wolff points out that at the outset, he asked Trump if he could spend time at the West Wing and write a book, and conveys the fact that Trump didn’t really seem to understand the question, but didn’t say ‘no’. So the existence of this book itself is a consequence of Trump’s incompetence! Wolff has hundreds of hours of recordings in support of the book. I would say he’s performed an invaluable public service.
Yes, it is really going to be fun watching the USS Donald Trump sink with all hands...
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:24 am

This book pushes all his insecurities. He is probably hate reading right now. Or, having Hope Hicks read it to him, in between having to skillfully deflect his roving hands and comments on her skirt. While hate watching CNN, and then turning to Fox to have Hannity stroke his wounded ego and give him talking points.

Here comes a weekend twitter storm!
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Return to “News & Current Events”