538 approves of meditation

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

538 approves of meditation

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 pm

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/i- ... e-my-case/

Fwiw. Everyone wants on this mindfulness thing.

A friend of mine was telling me he does the headspace thing. He seems to like it.

I mentioned right view and contemplation on reality... He wasn't ready for it. Baby steps.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

SunWuKong

Re: 538 approves of meditation

Post by SunWuKong » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:20 pm
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/i- ... e-my-case/

Fwiw. Everyone wants on this mindfulness thing.

A friend of mine was telling me he does the headspace thing. He seems to like it.

I mentioned right view and contemplation on reality... He wasn't ready for it. Baby steps.
5 out of 8 of the Eight8fold Noble Path pertain directly to mindfulness meditation - try that angle
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 am

I like the article. Also I find it quite honest. I really like that it notes you can 'overcommit to skepticism'. That takes true skepticism. :smile:
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki-roshi

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 am
I like the article. Also I find it quite honest. I really like that it notes you can 'overcommit to skepticism'. That takes true skepticism. :smile:
Me, too.

The empirical data is there. The samatha aspect of meditation will be studied and analyzed for a while and they'll find what they find and agree it works. Then they'll get to vipasyana and work their way into that. They'll rediscover what the Yogis found before.

The critical point is that it's being taken seriously, and that's really far along the path.

In terms of the guarding of Truth in the Canki Sutta - they've gone beyond just giving ear - they're confirming the truth for themselves.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Return to “News & Current Events”