Martin Luther King Day

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Simon E.

Martin Luther King Day

Post by Simon E. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm

"I have decided to go with love, hate is too great a burden to bear"...M.L.K.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Martin Luther King Day

Post by Queequeg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Letter from Birmingham Jail
Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself, and that is what has happened to the American Negro. Something within has reminded him of his birthright of freedom, and something without has reminded him that it can be gained. Consciously or unconsciously, he has been caught up by the Zeitgeist, and with his black brothers of Africa and his brown and yellow brothers of Asia, South America and the Caribbean, the United States Negro is moving with a sense of great urgency toward the promised land of racial justice. If one recognizes this vital urge that has engulfed the Negro community, one should readily understand why public demonstrations are taking place. The Negro has many pent up resentments and latent frustrations, and he must release them. So let him march; let him make prayer pilgrimages to the city hall; let him go on freedom rides -and try to understand why he must do so. If his repressed emotions are not released in nonviolent ways, they will seek expression through violence; this is not a threat but a fact of history. So I have not said to my people: "Get rid of your discontent." Rather, I have tried to say that this normal and healthy discontent can be channeled into the creative outlet of nonviolent direct action. And now this approach is being termed extremist. But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist for love: "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." Was not Amos an extremist for justice: "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever flowing stream." Was not Paul an extremist for the Christian gospel: "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." Was not Martin Luther an extremist: "Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so help me God." And John Bunyan: "I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience." And Abraham Lincoln: "This nation cannot survive half slave and half free." And Thomas Jefferson: "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal . . ." So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or for the extension of justice? In that dramatic scene on Calvary's hill three men were crucified. We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists.
One of King's great writings and one of his most important written contributions to the American Experiment.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm
"I have decided to go with love, hate is too great a burden to bear"...M.L.K.
And then he was shot dead by a white supremacist...

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm
Letter from Birmingham Jail
Oppressed people cannot remain oppressed forever. The yearning for freedom eventually manifests itself, and that is what has happened to the American Negro. Something within has reminded him of his birthright of freedom, and something without has reminded him that it can be gained. Consciously or unconsciously, he has been caught up by the Zeitgeist, and with his black brothers of Africa and his brown and yellow brothers of Asia, South America and the Caribbean, the United States Negro is moving with a sense of great urgency toward the promised land of racial justice. If one recognizes this vital urge that has engulfed the Negro community, one should readily understand why public demonstrations are taking place. The Negro has many pent up resentments and latent frustrations, and he must release them. So let him march; let him make prayer pilgrimages to the city hall; let him go on freedom rides -and try to understand why he must do so. If his repressed emotions are not released in nonviolent ways, they will seek expression through violence; this is not a threat but a fact of history. So I have not said to my people: "Get rid of your discontent." Rather, I have tried to say that this normal and healthy discontent can be channeled into the creative outlet of nonviolent direct action. And now this approach is being termed extremist. But though I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist for love: "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." Was not Amos an extremist for justice: "Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like an ever flowing stream." Was not Paul an extremist for the Christian gospel: "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." Was not Martin Luther an extremist: "Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so help me God." And John Bunyan: "I will stay in jail to the end of my days before I make a butchery of my conscience." And Abraham Lincoln: "This nation cannot survive half slave and half free." And Thomas Jefferson: "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal . . ." So the question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be. Will we be extremists for hate or for love? Will we be extremists for the preservation of injustice or for the extension of justice? In that dramatic scene on Calvary's hill three men were crucified. We must never forget that all three were crucified for the same crime--the crime of extremism. Two were extremists for immorality, and thus fell below their environment. The other, Jesus Christ, was an extremist for love, truth and goodness, and thereby rose above his environment. Perhaps the South, the nation and the world are in dire need of creative extremists.
One of King's great writings and one of his most important written contributions to the American Experiment.
I notice as of late in various media and here the use of the phrase"The American Experiment"

i find it a dangerous paradigm for it lets the country off the hook for so many things. After all it's all just an experiment..

watch the movie American Made and see what really happened with the contra affair...

As per the reverend Doctor King...i had the sniffles on the day he gave the speech I have a Dream....stayed home from school and me mom wanted me to watch it...I was young but it was like....looking back...something my inner Buddhist set up for me to be at home and watch.

madhusudan

Post by madhusudan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

A white supremacist?

Here are the facts:

"The jury was clearly convinced by the extensive evidence that was presented during the trial that, in addition to Mr. Jowers, the conspiracy of the Mafia, local, state and federal government agencies, were deeply involved in the assassination of my husband. The jury also affirmed overwhelming evidence that identified someone else, not James Earl Ray, as the shooter, and that Mr. Ray was set up to take the blame."

http://www.thekingcenter.org/assassinat ... racy-trial

dzoki

Post by dzoki » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Interesting take on MLK and things that are generaly not talked about in USA:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:49 pm

MLK's last speech:

Entered a stupa compound

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

justsit

Post by justsit » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 am

Meanwhile, Mr. Trump went golfing.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 am

Minobu wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm
I notice as of late in various media and here the use of the phrase"The American Experiment"

i find it a dangerous paradigm for it lets the country off the hook for so many things. After all it's all just an experiment..

watch the movie American Made and see what really happened with the contra affair...

As per the reverend Doctor King...i had the sniffles on the day he gave the speech I have a Dream....stayed home from school and me mom wanted me to watch it...I was young but it was like....looking back...something my inner Buddhist set up for me to be at home and watch.
The American Experiment refers to the idea of giving a republic a chance in lieu of a monarchy. Can we admit that a monarchy is an inherently weird and stupid way to choose a leader? I think Trudeau (the smart one, Trudeau Sr) would certainly agree. The author of The Encyclopedia of Stupidity included a chapter in that very text to the stupidity of constitutional monarchies. That's all the term means. It's not intended to give war criminals like the Nixon crew or the Reagan gang or the Bush junta carte blance to be, well, war criminals.

(Parenthetically, how did the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, rebranded as the House of Windsor, gain its wealth?)

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 am

On the anti-racism front, I think this fellow is very much on the right track:
“The only culture that white people and upper-middle-class white people have is whiteness,” Henson explains. “To fit in that class, you must strip yourself of everything else. What I would like to do is show white working-class whites that the neo-Confederate bullshit is a broken ideology. ... A lot of the activism in anti-racism is all about white people giving up their privilege in regards to white supremacy. I believe that will never work with working-class whites. You have to find a way to show working folks that anti-racism is within the self-interests of working-class white people. And you have to do that with a culture.”
https://www.theroot.com/the-caucasian-p ... 1821943540

May ignorance and hatred fail, and may compassion prevail.

Thank you, Dr. King.

muni

Post by muni » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

"Civilization and violence are antithetical concepts...
Sooner or later all the people of the world will have to discover a way to live together in peace, and thereby transform this pending cosmic elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. If this is to be achieved, man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love."
Martin Luther King.

"Violence is the result of destructive emotions. Events of this kind make clear that if we allow our human intelligence to be guided and controlled by negative emotions like hatred, the consequences are disastrous..." - Dalai Lama
“ Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek. ”
H H Dalai Lama

"Relax." nirvana-samsara do not stray from spaciousness.

Minobu

Post by Minobu » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 pm

DGA wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 am
Minobu wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

The American Experiment refers to the idea of giving a republic a chance in lieu of a monarchy. Can we admit that a monarchy is an inherently weird and stupid way to choose a leader? I think Trudeau (the smart one, Trudeau Sr) would certainly agree. The author of The Encyclopedia of Stupidity included a chapter in that very text to the stupidity of constitutional monarchies. That's all the term means. It's not intended to give war criminals like the Nixon crew or the Reagan gang or the Bush junta carte blance to be, well, war criminals.

(Parenthetically, how did the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, rebranded as the House of Windsor, gain its wealth?)
:good: for me anyway for it gives me a chance to explain.
i took it for granted that everyone would know that i know what it means .
In that light ,i said ,what i said.
it still stands. What was an experiment a few hundred years ago is a whole other ball of wax now. It's gone well past the expiremental stage, is here forever and calling it today an experiment...well you know my opinion.

this does not mean my opinion that this revolution was our evolution as a species. Maybe it is the incurable mystic in me , but i see the enlightened ones work behind it happening.

Americans cannot be blamed for slavery. It was an institution accepted in the bible and has been around almost forever.
It took america to end it and it's paradigm on the planet. Not only that but something that was thousands of years old does not vanish nor does the way some humans view others and slavery.
American revolution brought about many changes , the birth of the end to slavery is still in it's infancy stages. The way racism is unfolding in american might be slow for some but we just had the first Black President of the United States.

the good in america will evolve the ignorance and prejudice innate in the racial aspect of human kind .

Again i see it all as part and parcel to the enlightened ones and Lotus Buddhism shaping our world wide growth that history will show.

actually it shows now...look at america and It's birthing pains , which i'm sure will produce beautiful fruit.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 am

What did MLK do? He brought down a terrorist state.
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2011/8/29/1011562/-
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

dzoki

Post by dzoki » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 am
I wish that was true, but it seems to me that USA are still as terrorist a state as ever. Hint: wars in Middle East, Afghanistan, wars in Africa, drone strikes, War on Drugs...

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm

dzoki wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am
Queequeg wrote:
I wish that was true, but it seems to me that USA are still as terrorist a state as ever. Hint: wars in Middle East, Afghanistan, wars in Africa, drone strikes, War on Drugs...
Lol. You did not read the article, did you.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

dzoki

Post by dzoki » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm
dzoki wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am
Queequeg wrote:
Lol. You did not read the article, did you.
Nope, it was a response to your comment :D I was too lazy to read that.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:44 pm

dzoki wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm
Nope, it was a response to your comment :D I was too lazy to read that.
You should read it. Its a good article. Actually, pretty profound. MLK broke a mental shackle. That puts him up there as one of the greatest leaders in human history. :)
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Return to “News & Current Events”