Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 pm

marting wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 pm
Malcolm wrote:Trump is an aggressive fool, and he wants to start a nuclear war with someone.
No.

Enabled by China, North Korea is still a bully with impunity
Meanwhile, President Trump has broken from recent tradition by not pandering, yet he is criticized as the one inciting tensions. Enabler China will cheer on the regime at its 70th anniversary commemoration in September. Bullies don’t call out bullies; they need each other.
Yes.
Yes, no. Osth is not a particularly reliable source.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2013/12/20 ... ree-years/
Last edited by Malcolm on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 pm
marting wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:46 pm
Malcolm wrote:Trump is an aggressive fool, and he wants to start a nuclear war with someone.
No.

Enabled by China, North Korea is still a bully with impunity
Meanwhile, President Trump has broken from recent tradition by not pandering, yet he is criticized as the one inciting tensions. Enabler China will cheer on the regime at its 70th anniversary commemoration in September. Bullies don’t call out bullies; they need each other.
Yes.
Yes, no.
Very dependent on whether or not one caught the anti-Trump fever last year.

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by TharpaChodron » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:34 pm
TharpaChodron wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 pm
I don't think it will ever happen. If anything, this seems more like political posturing, a la Reagan era "Star Wars." Smoke and mirrors. Both sides are poking a proverbial hornets nest and like Cuba, Russia, China...too much at stake to instigate an huge imbalance in global politics. The US works with China too much to flex on their little watch dog.
Trump is an aggressive fool, and he wants to start a nuclear war with someone. You don't recall that one of his first questions "to the generals" was "why can't we use them?"

I only hope to Buddha that Mattis or someone tackles the f&^%ing guy when he tries to press the button.
Oh yeah, he's an aggressive fool, but just taking a page from Grigoris' play book, he's not really in charge. He just loves to grandstand and is probably the perfect dolt to play patty cake with Korea's equally disfunctional leader.

And btw, as far as Cuba goes...went there last year and the Cubans f'ing love us. The regime tries to use the United states as a reason for why they need to be there, i.e., to protect them from us. The people really don't buy it anymore. Especially when Obama was elected, the majority of Cubans are black and they were so excited. Couldn't figure out how the US had elected a black president and they've never had a black leader in Cuba. Fascinating talking to every day people there.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm

marting wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Very dependent on whether or not one caught the anti-Trump fever last year.
Trump is fool, leading other fools.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9253
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by DGA » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am

I don't think the leadership in Pyongyang is crazy. It's weird and it's bad, no doubt, but it's not crazy. It's highly consistent. It's not erratic. And that's one reason why the Trump administration's approach to NK is such a disaster.

More on this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/nor ... m-jong-un/

User avatar
TharpaChodron
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 am
Location: California

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by TharpaChodron » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 am

DGA wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am
I don't think the leadership in Pyongyang is crazy. It's weird and it's bad, no doubt, but it's not crazy. It's highly consistent. It's not erratic. And that's one reason why the Trump administration's approach to NK is such a disaster.

More on this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/nor ... m-jong-un/
North and South Korea are joining together (so I hear) for the first time in a long while at the Olympics. I'm no fan of Trump, but what if all this bluster and drama brought the two sides together and ironically brought about more peace? I may be just talking crazy, but stranger things have happened.

DGA
Former staff member
Posts: 9253
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by DGA » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 am

TharpaChodron wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 am
DGA wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am
I don't think the leadership in Pyongyang is crazy. It's weird and it's bad, no doubt, but it's not crazy. It's highly consistent. It's not erratic. And that's one reason why the Trump administration's approach to NK is such a disaster.

More on this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/nor ... m-jong-un/
North and South Korea are joining together (so I hear) for the first time in a long while at the Olympics. I'm no fan of Trump, but what if all this bluster and drama brought the two sides together and ironically brought about more peace? I may be just talking crazy, but stranger things have happened.
Yes, and that aligns with what I've read and heard from South Koreans: the sentiment is that US policy and presence is a bigger impediment to peace than anything the North might think or do. That's how the people are feeling. Consequently, there is a beginning of rapproachment between North and South, implicitly against the US.

I really, really, really don't want to see a war on the Korean peninsula. It would be a bloodbath and could initiate a global conflict that none of us even want to think about.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 am

DGA wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 am
DGA wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am
I don't think the leadership in Pyongyang is crazy. It's weird and it's bad, no doubt, but it's not crazy. It's highly consistent. It's not erratic. And that's one reason why the Trump administration's approach to NK is such a disaster.

More on this:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/26/nor ... m-jong-un/
North and South Korea are joining together (so I hear) for the first time in a long while at the Olympics. I'm no fan of Trump, but what if all this bluster and drama brought the two sides together and ironically brought about more peace? I may be just talking crazy, but stranger things have happened.
Yes, and that aligns with what I've read and heard from South Koreans: the sentiment is that US policy and presence is a bigger impediment to peace than anything the North might think or do. That's how the people are feeling. Consequently, there is a beginning of rapproachment between North and South, implicitly against the US.

I really, really, really don't want to see a war on the Korean peninsula. It would be a bloodbath and could initiate a global conflict that none of us even want to think about.
It would be a disaster of biblical proportion.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Tlalok
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Tlalok » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 am

It would be a disaster of biblical proportion.
Just take a look at this videoto see quite how far outside our reference points even a limited nuclear exchange would be:

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:20 am

Malcolm wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 am
DGA wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:15 am
TharpaChodron wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 am


North and South Korea are joining together (so I hear) for the first time in a long while at the Olympics. I'm no fan of Trump, but what if all this bluster and drama brought the two sides together and ironically brought about more peace? I may be just talking crazy, but stranger things have happened.
Yes, and that aligns with what I've read and heard from South Koreans: the sentiment is that US policy and presence is a bigger impediment to peace than anything the North might think or do. That's how the people are feeling. Consequently, there is a beginning of rapproachment between North and South, implicitly against the US.

I really, really, really don't want to see a war on the Korean peninsula. It would be a bloodbath and could initiate a global conflict that none of us even want to think about.
It would be a disaster of biblical proportion.
Blame Kim.

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm
marting wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Very dependent on whether or not one caught the anti-Trump fever last year.
Trump is fool, leading other fools.
More embarrassing is the inability to acknowledge corrosive ideologies advanced by capable, aggressive state actors.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm

marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm
marting wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Very dependent on whether or not one caught the anti-Trump fever last year.
Trump is fool, leading other fools.
More embarrassing is the inability to acknowledge corrosive ideologies advanced by capable, aggressive state actors.
The flawed ideology at work here is the ideology of a deeply incompetent administration that defunds the state dept and refuses to send qualified diplomats to S. Korea.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm
marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 am
Malcolm wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 pm


Trump is fool, leading other fools.
More embarrassing is the inability to acknowledge corrosive ideologies advanced by capable, aggressive state actors.
The flawed ideology at work here is the ideology of a deeply incompetent administration that defunds the state dept and refuses to send qualified diplomats to S. Korea.
No, no, you're missing the invisible gorill...who am I kidding, you're already in the advanced stages of anti-Trumpiritis. Carry on.

:popcorn:

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm

marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm
marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 am


More embarrassing is the inability to acknowledge corrosive ideologies advanced by capable, aggressive state actors.
The flawed ideology at work here is the ideology of a deeply incompetent administration that defunds the state dept and refuses to send qualified diplomats to S. Korea.
No, no, you're missing the invisible gorill...who am I kidding, you're already in the advanced stages of anti-Trumpiritis. Carry on.

:popcorn:

The man is a boob who does not understand anything at all about how foreign policy works, don't even get me started on what a fool he is about the EPA, and so on. He is such a racist asshole, all he wants to do is dismantle everything the black guy did.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm
...all he wants to do is dismantle everything the black guy did.
Who, the guy that did nothing whatsoever about North Korea during his tenure? :thinking:

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 pm

marting wrote:...you're already in the advanced stages of anti-Trumpiritis.
Malcolm wrote: The man is a boob who...
My point exactly.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 pm

marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm
Malcolm wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm
...all he wants to do is dismantle everything the black guy did.
Who, the guy that did nothing whatsoever about North Korea during his tenure? :thinking:
North Korea is not a problem that will be solved by ramping up aggression. I am not sure you really understand what motivates them and why they hate the Unite States so much. Did you completely forget all principles of Dharma?

Hostilities aren't stilled
through hostility,
regardless.
Hostilities are stilled
through non-hostility:
this, an unending truth.


The people in this Adminstration are the most incompetent set of political appointees in I cannot remember how long.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 pm

United States has done nothing to North Korea for decades. The image that they want nuclear weapons because they feel threatened from the United States is a pretense. Stop buying it.

Relatedly: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ent-215605

marting
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by marting » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Worth mentioning also that you're oblivious to Russia and China's tireless moves to check mate the U.S. off the world stage, economically, militarily, and politically, and the role a nuclear NK will play in that.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 27522
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Potential for War in Korea: Causes and Conditions

Post by Malcolm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:25 pm

marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:58 pm
United States has done nothing to North Korea for decades. The image that they want nuclear weapons because they feel threatened from the United States is a pretense. Stop buying it.
The United States has put the screws on NK so tightly the people are starving because in Kim's paranoia, he'd rather buy weapons than food. Developing nukes is also part of the their constitution, BTW.
marting wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm
Worth mentioning also that you're oblivious to Russia and China's tireless moves to check mate the U.S. off the world stage, economically, militarily, and politically, and the role a nuclear NK will play in that.
This is largely due to Trump's signaling that the US is withdrawing from its world leadership role with all this "America First" nonsense. And we know that Trump has a hardon for Putin. Trump buys into all this nationalist crap that Bannon was spinning. And all this "lets bring jobs back" is crap too. Who wants those jobs? No one. No one wants $9000 iphones either. There are no coal jobs that are going to be created. We are far from being "checkmated" by China and Russia on any score, in pure military terms. And our economy is still the largest in the world and will continue to be so. Our economy, as of 2017, is 24.32 percent of the world economy. Now, let that sink in because while we only have 324 million +- people, China's economy is only 14.84 percent of the world economy with 1.4 billion people. Russia's economy is the same size as Italy's. So please, dispense with the ridiculous exaggerations about how our economic, military, and political place in the world is so precarious. We, along with Western Europe are the wealthiest, most technically advanced countries in the world. But Trump has no understanding of this and is throwing it away based on trying to make white people in middle America happy with jobs they will never have again. He is selling them snake oil, and if you have a brain in your head, you know it.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Post Reply

Return to “News & Current Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], shaunc and 26 guests