Largest one day drop in U.S. stock market - in history

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Largest one day drop in U.S. stock market - in history

Post by Queequeg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm
DGA wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 pm
Mantrik wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 pm
When the US sneezes, we all catch a cold.
Global indexes also fell.
In the UK we have the same issue - interest rates are set to rise so investment in shares becomes less attractive.

This stuff doesn't astound me.

What astounds me is that our UK economy took a major hit when the BREXIT process commenced, quite rightly recognising an insane plunge into the abyss. Meanwhile, in the US, the markets seemed blind to the election of an insane sociopath ....... just because he happened to lie about favouring big businesses and actually meant bribing anyone who would pay him off once he was ousted.
Trump just passed an insane tax cut bill. He's throwing money at the already rich. That's why he's tolerated. Mitt Romney couldn't do it, but Trump could squeak into office and get this done for reasons we don't need to get into but have everything to do with idiot baby boomers.

Handing already rich people a big ol' wad of capital, among other things, spurs inflation. Fears of inflation open onto bearish markets. And here we are.
But I thought it was all spin. The tax cut was less than Obama's according to UK media, just another way for Trump to lie to his dimwitted supporters.
Its a strange tax cut. For people at the bottom and the top it will make a difference. For most in the middle, its pretty much a wash. Small business owners will like this, unless they're accountants and lawyers. It also changes tax incentives. I understand, have not confirmed, it is favorable toward real estate investments at the expense of other types of investments... Gee, I wonder who put those provisions in there?
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm
Mantrik wrote:
DGA wrote:

Trump just passed an insane tax cut bill. He's throwing money at the already rich. That's why he's tolerated. Mitt Romney couldn't do it, but Trump could squeak into office and get this done for reasons we don't need to get into but have everything to do with idiot baby boomers.

Handing already rich people a big ol' wad of capital, among other things, spurs inflation. Fears of inflation open onto bearish markets. And here we are.
But I thought it was all spin. The tax cut was less than Obama's according to UK media, just another way for Trump to lie to his dimwitted supporters.
Its a strange tax cut. For people at the bottom and the top it will make a difference. For most in the middle, its pretty much a wash. Small business owners will like this, unless they're accountants and lawyers. It also changes tax incentives. I understand, have not confirmed, it is favorable toward real estate investments at the expense of other types of investments... Gee, I wonder who put those provisions in there?
We could resolve a major world crisis if N Korea gave Trump all the golf club deals, like Israel is set to do. :)
http://www.khyung.com

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 pm

Mantrik wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 pm
We could resolve a major world crisis if N Korea gave Trump all the golf club deals, like Israel is set to do. :)
Maybe they can also work out a deal for golf clubs in the affluent suburbs of Tehran, too: Golf club diplomacy.
Entered a stupa compound

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mantrik wrote:
DGA wrote:

And gold courses, don't forger the oppressed golf course owners who are finally going to get those much needed deductions.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 am

Queequeg wrote:
Mantrik wrote:
DGA wrote:

I kid you not, I have a co-worker who loves Trump and has a "pole dancing instruction" small business. She asked me if I enjoyed the "gift" i.e. tax break from mien fuhrer Trump. I asked, "What are you talking about?" I never saw a dime added to my paycheck, not sure where she got hers from. Strange indeed.

Kunzang

Post by Kunzang » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 am
I never saw a dime added to my paycheck, not sure where she got hers from. Strange indeed.
Your employer may not have switched to the new withholding table yet, as they have until Feb. 15. So you may see a change in your paycheck after that.

see here for more info: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-withh ... -available
Critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms. - Doris Lessing

justsit

Post by justsit » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
I kid you not, I have a co-worker who loves Trump and has a "pole dancing instruction" small business. She asked me if I enjoyed the "gift" i.e. tax break from mien fuhrer Trump. I asked, "What are you talking about?" I never saw a dime added to my paycheck, not sure where she got hers from. Strange indeed.
Maybe you should move to PA? You might get $1.50 and Paul Ryan would be happy for you.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/mountpleasa ... d-opponent

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:42 pm

TharpaChodron wrote:
Well, business owners are treated differently. I don't think this person would have seen any benefits yet since business owners and contractors pay their own taxes quarterly instead of having withholding by an employer. Estimated tax payments won't change until the payment for the first quarter of 2018 are due in April.

I doubt this person actually knows what they're talking about. They're likely just repeating Fox News propaganda. Even accountants are not sure what the impact of this tax law will actually be. They're just getting their heads around it now.
Entered a stupa compound

Return to “News & Current Events”