Bodycam Video Shows Sheriff Defending Killing of Unarmed Suspect

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Dharma Flower

Bodycam Video Shows Sheriff Defending Killing of Unarmed Suspect

Post by Dharma Flower » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 am

http://www.ibtimes.com/bodycam-video-sh ... ct-2650678

I love my country, but there is something seriously wrong in America today.

Tlalok

Re: Bodycam Video Shows Sheriff Defending Killing of Unarmed Suspect

Post by Tlalok » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 pm

Dharma Flower wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 am

There has always been something rotten in America's core, its just that now it can be seen clearly.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am

Tlalok wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 pm
Dharma Flower wrote:

There has always been something rotten in America's core, its just that now it can be seen clearly.
Sure, there's also been a lot of good. Most democratic movements in modern world history have, in one way or another, been inspired by the United States' example.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Please also keep in mind that there are more Buddhists in the U.S. than in any country outside Asia. This is largely because America has been a refuge for the world's immigrants, as it says on the Statue of Liberty.

The current presidential administration should hopefully not permanently tarnish America's reputation as a destination for the world's poor and oppressed yearning to breathe free.

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Dharma Flower wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am
Tlalok wrote:
Dharma Flower wrote:

Sure, there's also been a lot of good. Most democratic movements in modern world history have, in one way or another, been inspired by the United States' example.
True, but remember that a lot of the rights and freedoms presented in the constitution were not applied to subaltern groups until very recently. And some still aren't today. The ideals of America are laudable, but it was built on the backs of slaves and native americans. This is the distinction between patriotism and nationalism. A patriot can look at the dark parts of their countries history and recognize failings and work whole heartedly to improve things, a nationalist sees it as already perfect.

Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:30 pm
Dharma Flower wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am
Tlalok wrote:

True, but remember that a lot of the rights and freedoms presented in the constitution were not applied to subaltern groups until very recently. And some still aren't today. The ideals of America are laudable, but it was built on the backs of slaves and native americans. This is the distinction between patriotism and nationalism. A patriot can look at the dark parts of their countries history and recognize failings and work whole heartedly to improve things, a nationalist sees it as already perfect.
I agree with all these things.

Return to “News & Current Events”