Why being a loner may be good for your health

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm

We tend to decry being alone. But emerging research suggests some potential benefits to being a loner – including for our creativity, mental health and even leadership skills.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2018022 ... or-a-loner

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Why being a loner may be good for your health

Post by Queequeg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Lucas Oliveira wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm

We tend to decry being alone. But emerging research suggests some potential benefits to being a loner – including for our creativity, mental health and even leadership skills.

Just responding so that you know you're not alone.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Because I'm kidding! because you might laugh?

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:04 am

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm
Lucas Oliveira wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Just responding so that you know you're not alone.
As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."

"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & colleagues, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dha ... ttata.html

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:23 am

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitn ... -20140904/

And

Mental health and relationships 'key to happiness' - BBC News
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38285223

Different strokes for different folks?
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:22 am

Any introvert will need time alone to recharge their batteries as interaction with others, especially shallow interactions, are draining.

Now, emotional intimacy and long term relationships are nice, but not without complications and not, ultimately, not impermanent. And then some, like myself, are the kind that only a Cosmic Mother could love...

And even then..

To top it off, that creep Dzogchungpa hits on me in this very forum from time to time. Nothing but travails in this threefold world.

:(

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 am

I can't wear that. Human beings by nature are a herd animal. As a matter of fact I believe that the nuclear family that most people in the western world grow up in goes against our basic nature. Most societies, except for the western world have large extended families consisting of aunties, uncles, cousins and in-laws.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 am

shaunc wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 am
I can't wear that. Human beings by nature are a herd animal. As a matter of fact I believe that the nuclear family that most people in the western world grow up in goes against our basic nature. Most societies, except for the western world have large extended families consisting of aunties, uncles, cousins and in-laws.
Having lived in both types of cultures... I think the extended family model cultures are by far less "insane" at the individual level... Although maybe they have problematic group violence like organized crime.... Loneliness individuals for one.. is not a thing... Something weird tweaked over time in humans when they separated the family nucleus in several cultures... Like more selfishness.. more consumerism... I get it. Something HAS to fill the void. And it sure don't look like happiness, even though that is the current biggest marketing scheme in this era.

Some individuals may be happier alone, but sociologically it is definitely the exception not the rule.

I posted BBC's opposite studies showing people are happier in close relationships. I think they just pay for a study to be trendy, so the same points are found in opposite studies. :cheers:

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:36 am

I've been immersed in people all my life.....losing myself...
Now i have more time to be alone....and i can't ever get enough of it....
i feel happier alone & more energized..
i would go nuts if i couldn't get away...
I could go for a very long time without talking or being around people.
This (internet) socializing is more fun & relaxing to me then being in the flesh presence.
It is rare to find anyone that thrills me & that i love being around.
I always feel drained around people.

This very moment i am in a room with 2 other people talking...
one is my teacher...and i would rather be alone...or just with my teacher....
Last edited by Kunga Lhadzom on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

https://drunklotus.blog

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:36 am
I've been immersed in people all my life.....losing myself...
Now i have more time to be alone....and i can't ever get enough of it....
i feel happier alone & more energized..
i would go nuts if i couldn't get away...
I could go for a very long time without talking or being around people.
This (internet) socializing is more fun & relaxing to me then being in the flesh presence.
It is rare to find anyone that thrills me & that i love being around.
I always feel drained around people.
I can certainly understand that. And the internet maybe has filled that socializing need. If you didn't have the internet... Would you feel the same about total solitude?

And I was originally thinking of the thought in broad sociological terms.. because of the articles published....generalizing.

Obviously individuals vary greatly. Some individuals bare certainly very solitary. The Dharma history is filled with recluses that lived in caves. But they were certainly exceptions.
Last edited by Ogyen on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 am

Ogyen wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 am
Would you feel the same about total solitude?

I think so...i'm very adaptable to my circumstances....and i love reading and introspection, painting, watching movies (alone)
i am never bored.....more bored when i'm around people...haha
The Universe flowing through my veins...stars falling from my eyes......rocks rolling in my head...lemon juice dripping down my chin....

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:42 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 am
Ogyen wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 am
Would you feel the same about total solitude?

I think so...i'm very adaptable to my circumstances....and i love reading and introspection, painting, watching movies (alone)
i am never bored.....more bored when i'm around people...haha
Deep water fish. :hug:

Do you like depth and Intimacy with another person if they can satisfy and respect your need for privacy?

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:53 am

Ogyen wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:42 am
Do you like depth and Intimacy with another person if they can satisfy and respect your need for privacy?
I hate small talk....although i don't go into much depth with conversations here...mainly because i get so overwhelmed i feel stupid when i try to express myself...haha

The people in my life love to be around me, but i feel drained when I'm around them. They know how i love to be alone , and i have to really watch my borders with them......

My teacher even talks too much trivia...and i get drained listening to him...haha

The only thing that made me feel alive was to be in love...(with a man)
But i haven't experienced that in decades

I don't really know how alone i would want to be if i was in love with someone. In the past, i was so much in love i never wanted to be without them....and i hated to be without them....so now that i do not have that deep passionate crazy love anymore, i find that being alone(with myself) is the next best thing.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:48 am

Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:53 am

I hate small talk....although i don't go into much depth with conversations here...mainly because i get so overwhelmed i feel stupid when i try to express myself...haha
I always find it's the quiet people who have the most depth and shades of expression, maybe because of the silence... It teaches you many nuances! And I've never read any you've written that struck me as stupid in any way... I am always curious to hear more... So if you felt like expressing more of your view.. I am one fan who will read. :reading:
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
The people in my life love to be around me, but i feel drained when I'm around them. They know how i love to be alone , and i have to really watch my borders with them......

My teacher even talks too much trivia...and i get drained listening to him...haha
Very intense introverting... You need silence to recharge! Of course they like to be around you, you're like a mirror and a sponge to them... But of course that takes a toll on you.
Kunga Lhadzom wrote:
The only thing that made me feel alive was to be in love...(with a man)
But i haven't experienced that in decades

I don't really know how alone i would want to be if i was in love with someone. In the past, i was so much in love i never wanted to be without them....and i hated to be without them....so now that i do not have that deep passionate crazy love anymore, i find that being alone(with myself) is the next best thing.
I've spent a lot of time contemplating the nature of the importance and the role of intimacy in practice... We are dual creatures, we need union internally at least between our polarities... And then we need integration and aim for internal fusion to return to the natural state of our true mind. When we fall in love, I feel it is a calling of our being trying to become aware of its own nonduality. The crazy passionate part inevitably fades even if you succeed staying with a person and what is new turns old. The mind gets "bored" with what it gets used to... So it's good to find a way to reach that place of union even without another person.

Of course living that love is a very intense thing... Have you seen Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoches episode o YouTube on love and relationships? If not I think you really like it.. I found it so refreshing to hear someone in the Dharma speak plainly and compassionately about the topic.

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 am

Ogyen wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:48 am
I've spent a lot of time contemplating the nature of the importance and the role of intimacy in practice... We are dual creatures, we need union internally at least between our polarities... And then we need integration and aim for internal fusion to return to the natural state of our true mind. When we fall in love, I feel it is a calling of our being trying to become aware of its own nonduality.

My good friend in the Dharma, you only ever experienced your own mind, though. No matter how deeply someone loved you or you loved another, we are loved by others for their own limited reasons and love others for our own limited reasons as well. When the Bodhisattva practices perfect compassion, unconditional and unselfish love, even they do this with a striving for their own growth, though from a deep understanding of the ultimate nonduality of themselves and the "other"—they recognize that "they" are "you." Even they are doing it for themselves, in a way, only they "lose themselves" in becoming love itself.

The crazy passionate part inevitably fades even if you succeed staying with a person and what is new turns old. The mind gets "bored" with what it gets used to... So it's good to find a way to reach that place of union even without another person.
This is why I am a firm believer that marriage is an institution that has its basis in looking after the well-being of one's children. Obligation, commitment, sacrifice, family. If you ask me, that's what marriage is made of.

And you didn't ask me. :mrgreen: That's my unsolicited opinion on the internet, and I'm sticking to it.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:23 am

People are packed in rather closely together nowadays so it makes sense, does it not, for people to NOT be a social being even if we have a natural leaning towards such? Not to mention that it can be very noisy and toxic 'out there'.

Some people are like iron boxes so they will need the equivalent of a wrecking ball to get through. For neuro-heads and big sensitive jellyfish, (noted by other post person) it's running the gauntlet in general, to arrive safely at our favorite hidey holes: the parks, libraries, churches and many other nice quiet gathering spots.

I suppose that online some sensitive people shine quite brightly and it seems a stellar environment for such excellence. Online it's noisy in a different manner. We can pick and choose to whom we pay attention, and volume means quantity rather than 'ear-splitting'.

:thanks:

Kunga Lhadzom

Post by Kunga Lhadzom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Ogyen wrote:
I've never read any you've written that struck me as stupid in any way..
You are so loving like a mother to her child :heart:
Most of the stupid shit i say i delete. I've been drunk posting at times also....oy vey !
Not all...but a lot of my poetry is from quite a buzz...haha
Ogyen wrote:
Very intense introverting... You need silence to recharge!
Very true...i love silence more than anything. But when i get in the mood for music, it's pretty intense...I can only tolerate watching a movie in the evening....cable tv is really a waste of money for me...but another part of me LOVES to indulge myself, because I have felt deprived for so long (long story). So i treat myself like a princess...and give myself all i can to make up for it.

Ogyen wrote:
We are dual creatures, we need union internally at least between our polarities... And then we need integration and aim for internal fusion to return to the natural state of our true mind. When we fall in love, I feel it is a calling of our being trying to become aware of its own nonduality. The crazy passionate part inevitably fades even if you succeed staying with a person and what is new turns old. The mind gets "bored" with what it gets used to... So it's good to find a way to reach that place of union even without another person.
So so true....i think that's why when i was younger.....i wasted most of my time looking for love (in all the wrong places). My feelings were so deep...but all i met were shallow men, like frogs jumping around on lilly pads.

Not ever having a father, i put men on a pedestal...but all they wanted was to put me on a bed. I finally got burned out enough to realize i was really from Venus, the planet of Goddesses, and my love & feelings were not of this Earth.

Ogyen wrote:
it's good to find a way to reach that place of union even without another person.
Yes. But it saddens me if i never experience love with another again. The poor guy that will be challenged by me will have to jump through hoops of fire & tunnels of fire before he would ever win my heart.
Ogyen wrote:
Have you seen Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoches episode o YouTube on love and relationships?

Yes, i think so..he talked about being in love with someone...? I will look it up ...

Oh yeah....i saw this !!! He is so funny & down to earth. :heart:

Are you still singing/playing guitar ?
I love your stuff & miss seeing you.

:heart:

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Ahhh KL.. :consoling: I completely empathize with where you're coming from.

Seeing your story makes me think of thousands of women practitioners who have experienced exactly the same and there aren't many places to bring this suffering, but to your own practice... we're told to kind of "just get over it" and embrace some form of renunciation.. or were made to feel guilty that were not holy enough to be really able to grasp buddhadharma....in some cases maybe ignoring or convincing oneself that just not being in that environment where our three poisons are awakened works... In others... Not so much. I don't think many of the "gloss over fix-it" solutions are really addressing the real problem compassionately for most women.

This is why we need our Dharma sisters like Machig Labdron, and Tsultrim Allione, Pema Chodron... Women who have come thru immense heartbreaks, their grief cracked them open, and they found the power of the suffering as the tool to realize its very illusion.

As you yourself know all too well, suffering comes in all forms... And people can be so cruel. I've honestly found just as many self-righteous nasty bitter angry bigoted (sexist) people in Buddhism as I have in the Christian and Hindu traditions. I'll be a Buddhist heretic and go as far to say, at least some Christians just preach "God is love" and GET the essence of unconditional compassion even if it's thru a totally different interpretation. They don't judge, and realize that it's pointless to sit there telling you how wrong your feelings are because of what it says in scripture.They get it hurts. And God is love. Compassion. Not trying to change your feeling just letting you sit with it. Some Buddhists think they are such good buddhists yet get so self-righteous on how what you're feeling is hooey because it's an illusion and Emptiness blah blah blah... it saddens me because THAT is not buddhadharma. It is mostly (male) human politics DRESSED up like Dharma.

People who haven't "been there" can tell you what they want about non-dualism and that loving someone is limited blah blah. Unless you can come through that fire, it is all theoretical bs they read in a book or someone told them about, even if it was their lama, they personally don't know what they're talking about. And yes, I will mark my bias here, I don't think you can THINK realization and expect to be realized. And realization comes through INTEGRATION which means living and building an intimate relationship with your own mind and conventional self with everything that entails in all the feelings that come up because of the poisons. I don't deny it is true in an "ultimate" sense that it is an illusion, and how wonderful because it means the cessation of suffering is also real... But while you're going through the pain in the here and now, all your pain, unmet desires, and fears are your mud, what you have to work with, that's a real challenge.

I'm not saying one method is better than another, I have no sense of hierarchy in traditions and systems...just a preference. I've realized a while ago that buddhadharma per se isn't even a requirement for enlightenment... Shakyamuni self-awakened without institutions, but I recognize that buddhadharma it is a very useful practical vehicle to get to my true nature quicker. But it is not MANDATORY. HOWEVER if I choose this vehicle I will follow its instructions to the letter and apply my teacher's instructions as perfectly as possible. I am using myself here as a conventional example to make a point but this could apply to anyone.

When you are heartbroken it is a powerful vehicle to let your"self" be crushed by all your hopes and attachments. Let it crush everything until you yourself realize in PRACTICE it is not your true mind. True bravery, the spiritual warrior I know from personally doing it, means opening up to the vulnerability and neither ejecting not accepting. Whatever it is, wherever you are... You are here and it is your rich ground in which the real lotus emerges from. And loving is hard. Really hard. Sense consciousness is so powerful and seductive... Maybe you do come from Venus and weren't well adjusted to so much cruelty. There is nothing wrong with that. It's sane to find it insane.

Being a loner may help for a while, and the ultimate test is practice and the no-self most powerful teaching (IMO) of non-dualism comes concretely through what is the "other" external to our "me"... Because we can choose what we like, we can surround our"selves" with what creates pleasure and reject what gives us aversion.

My whole life, I have been surrounded by conflictual people, the "Other" sometimes drives me crazy... Really. Someone else who doesn't see thing like me is ok (and stimulating) but when they throw their dirty laundry in the floor in a shared space or leave dishes with food in them, or do things that really disrupt my ideas of a harmonious environment, I find myself really challenged to walk my talk !!

I make myself face this... Sometimes I think I was crazy to choose this. Others laugh that maybe I'm a masochist and like to suffer. Nothing could be further from the truth. I know what my relative condition needs, and I know in a bubble surrounded by people who think just like me (not that there are many haha) I am perfectly satisfied and my ego thinks very highly of this awesome person I am, why wouldn't it!! But then it is put to the test with marriage, children, friends, work, Buddhist forums... :rolling:

Similar to you, the "other" is maddening for me, like one of my maras... And Jean Paul Sartre said "Hell is the Other."...boy can I relate. But also via "other" is how Buddhas and bodhisattvas realize the no self teachings. So this is my practice... The "other" and realising there is no division. All of this IS an illusion, and appearances are deceptive... And this very practice teaches me more patience, love, and being tolerant, as well as seeing it all like a dream! More than ever I don't even believe my"self"....so I know the practice works!

But to be clear... It didn't come from listening to people whom are equally lost and spout scripture to justify what they can't possibly have realized as it's clear they haven't connected to their own vulnerability and that soft sticky painful inadequacy everyone carries around. If they can show me they also

Don't worry about if there will be someone else... I say this because a person who really sees you will also recognize you are not different from him. And will also see the illusion of the circles of fire. If it happens let your"self" be open to the karmic wind that blows thru your life, you will know it is impermanence both in appearing and disappearing but its manifestation is also part of the path.

I guess what I'm saying is if it happens, there will be nothing to fear. Know that all milk has an expiration date, but when you have the fresh milk you're not there obsessing over it's expiration... No! You use it in your coffee, you make yourself breakfast, maybe you make some yogurt. Love in intimate relationships I think is the same way. Know it has an expiration date.. but treat it like milk... Let it do what it does, enjoy it and learn to not attach to permanent notions. When you alone reach your own conclusions about attachment you will not attract people like before. Be very patient and kind to yourself, and good for you for treating yourself well!

I am still singing, playing guitar and writing poetry. Less these days due to a busy life with kids and family life, but I have been feeling inspired lately.

Always happy to read what you write is great food for thought! Makes me really dig in to the practice and how it looks in real life... Not in theory!

Crap...did I got totally off topic?

:focus:

:meditate:

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:45 am

Hermit health

Still, the line between useful solitude and dangerous isolation can be blurry. “Almost anything can be adaptive and maladaptive, depending on how extreme they get,” Feist says. A disorder has to do with dysfunction. If someone stops caring about people and cuts off all contact, this could point to a pathological neglect of social relations. But creative unsociability is a far cry from this.

It's interesting what happens when you let go of a lot of the pasture of consciousness and you just limit it to just a small paddock. Usually consciousness can just go anywhere. You'll be conscious of just anything, go experience all of the delights, all of the pleasures in the world. But here you're putting the consciousness in a very small pasture and what happens when you've let go of so much pasture for your consciousness. You say, "Oh, I'm just going to be conscious of the breath. I'm just going to be conscious of the present moment. All these other possibilities I'm going to renounce". You find there is freedom. There is peace. This is some happiness.
https://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebmed055.htm

boda

Post by boda » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 am

Creativity and contemplation may require alone time but isn't this just out of necessity? It's as though the claim is that creatives and contemplatives are naturally happier. I don't think that's the case at all.

Return to “News & Current Events”