US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Manju

US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

Post by Manju » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am

Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

US and allies started launching strikes on Syria.

If you know about any `spiritual efforts towards world peace` then please write it here (Sutra recitation etc. ....what is appropriate ? )

I am sitting in Kathmandu and want to recite something.

Manju

practitioner

Re: US and Allies Launch Strikes on Syria

Post by practitioner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:13 am

I'm sure you will get many specific recommendations but doing any practice you have a strong connection to with the motivation for peace will have a positive impact.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

TharpaChodron

Post by TharpaChodron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:21 am

Manju wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am
Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

If you know about any `spiritual efforts towards world peace` then please write it here (Sutra recitation etc. ....what is appropriate ? )

Manju
So you're sitting in Kathmandu and you know more about the US strikes in Syria than you do prayers etc for peace and intervention? Without any judgement I think that's interesting.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 am

Vajrasattva seems fitting.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am

Guru Dragphur for world peace. There will probably be a 24 hour global chain organised by the DC at some point, but mantra recitation within the Thun framework would seem to be a good idea.

The strikes by the US, UK and France seem all to have been very precisely targeted at destroying chemical weapon production and storage and kept well away from Russian bases, and Russia has not shot down any missiles or retaliated...yet.

Given that the Syrians have had some time to move stockpiles, we will have to wait and see how it all unravels.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

shaunc

Post by shaunc » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 am

Sorry to sound pessimistic but there's been a lot of wars going on in lots of places for a lot of years. It seems to me that prayer doesn't work, many other people have tried that approach. Unfortunately I'm not smart enough to offer an alternative.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:46 am

Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am
The strikes by the US, UK and France seem all to have been very precisely targeted at destroying chemical weapon production and storage...
Just like in Iraq... and we know how that panned out... :crying:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:54 am

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:46 am
Mantrik wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 am
The strikes by the US, UK and France seem all to have been very precisely targeted at destroying chemical weapon production and storage...
Just like in Iraq... and we know how that panned out... :crying:
I suspoect the 'facilities' they bombed were all empty. It is probably being thought of as a 'proportionate' response to use the jargon, so a gesture unlikely to escalate into anything like the Iraq scenario. They claim not to have warned Russia in advance - of course, we believe them.

Assad has been butchering people for years... this is just a convenient time for those 3 Western leaders. The only major new problem now will be if Russia can't restrain Assad from a fresh chemical attack in the next few days.

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:57 am

Sadly it had to be expected. Trump has to give some small chance for extra profit to the military industry. Won't solve anything really, poor people.

:focus:

If you want world peace then practice compassion, so basically any buddhist practice with proper motivation to liberate others. This world is flawed, there won't be peace. So do whatever your practice is and do it for enlightenment and for others.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Is there any evidence (not media hearsay) that Syria used chemical weapons? There was no evidence last year ...

I did see articles with videos of dead women and children - too gruesome. However, there were no dead men there and some were posted by the white helmets (a joke... terrorists playing hero). Makes me think the rebels dumped all the bodies in one house on top of each other and blamed it on the government... with things like this, and with what I am reading, all you can say is there are these dead bodies. You can't say how they died or who killed them. Certainly not enough evidence to be conclusive to attack another country!

The sequence of events is certainly suspicious... like more effective propaganda for more of the same. Maybe Putin will retaliate, the media will love Trump for a few days and we have the beginning spark for a massive world war. Or it's just more noise and more suffering.

Poor people. :crying:

Guru dragphur. Yes. :meditate:

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

krodha

Post by krodha » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:57 pm

There's also this point of interest for European countries involved:

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-eas ... b63a9afb74

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Ogyen wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:10 pm
Is there any evidence (not media hearsay) that Syria used chemical weapons? There was no evidence last year ...

I did see articles with videos of dead women and children - too gruesome. However, there were no dead men there and some were posted by the white helmets (a joke... terrorists playing hero). Makes me think the rebels dumped all the bodies in one house on top of each other and blamed it on the government... with things like this, and with what I am reading, all you can say is there are these dead bodies. You can't say how they died or who killed them. Certainly not enough evidence to be conclusive to attack another country!

The sequence of events is certainly suspicious... like more effective propaganda for more of the same. Maybe Putin will retaliate, the media will love Trump for a few days and we have the beginning spark for a massive world war. Or it's just more noise and more suffering.

Poor people. :crying:

Guru dragphur. Yes. :meditate:

Oh, there is plenty of evidence Assad gassed his own people.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/05/01/syr ... -agent-use

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Na ... b_Republic

The US, Britain, France, and other signatories have treaty obligation to respond militarily to destroy weapons manufacturing facilities when when chemical weapons are used in combat or against civilians if the offending party persist in their unlawful activities. Syria is a signatory to the CWC and is bound by its rules.

Article XII of the Chemical Weapons Convention states:
1. The Conference shall take the necessary measures, as set forth in paragraphs 2, 3 and 4, to ensure compliance with this Convention and to redress and remedy any situation which contravenes the provisions of this Convention. In considering action pursuant to this paragraph, the Conference shall take into account all information and recommendations on the issues submitted by the Executive Council.
2. In cases where a State Party has been requested by the Executive Council to take measures to redress a situation raising problems with regard to its compliance, and where the State Party fails to fulfil the request within the specified time, the Conference may, inter alia, upon the recommendation of the Executive Council, restrict or suspend the State Party's rights and privileges under this Convention until it undertakes the necessary action to conform with its obligations under this Convention.
3. In cases where serious damage to the object and purpose of this Convention may result from activities prohibited under this Convention, in particular by Article I, the Conference may recommend collective measures to States Parties in conformity with international law.
4. The Conference shall, in cases of particular gravity, bring the issue, including relevant information and conclusions, to the attention of the United Nations General Assembly and the United Nations Security Council.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Mantrik

Post by Mantrik » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Guardian newspaper, UK :

''The World Health Organisation said on Wednesday that close to 500 people sought treatment at medical facilities it supports. Many had symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic chemicals, notably chlorine gas and a nerve agent. ''

Today Theresa May spoke of many first hand independent witness accounts of a regime helicopter and barrel bomb being deployed. Only Assad works that way. She could be a liar, but...

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 pm

I was reading in a Greek article today that ISIS has taken advantage of the strikes against Assad to launch an offensive. I guess that means ISIS is included in the allies launching strikes?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:07 pm
I was reading in a Greek article today that ISIS has taken advantage of the strikes against Assad to launch an offensive. I guess that means ISIS is included in the allies launching strikes?
Of course not. The US, Britain, and France have no interest in invading Syria, beyond the troops we have there to try and eliminate the remnants of ISIS. This action, as I understand it, was strictly a response to the gassing of civilians last week.

M
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:03 pm

This may be a naive question, but doesn't bombing chemical weapons plants release the chemicals?
We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

justsit

Post by justsit » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Jeff H wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:03 pm
This may be a naive question, but doesn't bombing chemical weapons plants release the chemicals?
Apparently not, per this report in the Guardian dated April 14. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -war-three.

"Another potential risk that failed to materialise was that an attack on chemical weapons might spread the poison, engulfing Syrian military personnel and civilians. Chemical weapons inspectors suggested such an outcome was unlikely, as a missile would blow up chemical weapons."

No additional scientific explanation was given.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm
Of course not. The US, Britain, and France have no interest in invading Syria, beyond the troops we have there to try and eliminate the remnants of ISIS.
Assad and the Kurdish forces eliminated ISIS, not the West. Actually, except for throwing some money and guns at the conservative Kurdish forces of northern Iraq the West has done nothing for the people fighting ISIS in Syria. As a matter of fact they have given free licence to NATO backed Turkish forces (and Islamist militias) to attack and destroy the very forces responsible for driving ISIS out of north Syria (theYPG and PKK).

As for France: you do know they will be replacing the U$ in Manjib, right? So the "no interest in invading" trope is pretty ragged.

Ogyen

Post by Ogyen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 pm
Of course not. The US, Britain, and France have no interest in invading Syria, beyond the troops we have there to try and eliminate the remnants of ISIS.
I don't understand why that would be true... Syria is extremely strategic "on the Risk board." It is not so farfetched that while Assad is a sonufagun and can have used chemical weapons, the west also has an interest in demonizing him... The two are NOT mutually exclusive, and the west has decades playing pro in this fine game of geopolitics.

There are elements that are way too strategic to be a coincidence that Assad did it all...it seems too convenient, and there's some coverage on this too... I'm almost hearing the soundtrack music go to a crescendo of suspense...Verifying sources.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:34 am

Manju wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:49 am
Hello everyone,

a few minutes ago:

Manju
Then that noble disciple is rid of desire, rid of ill will, unconfused, aware, and mindful. They meditate spreading a heart full of love to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of love to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. They meditate spreading a heart full of compassion to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of compassion to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. They meditate spreading a heart full of rejoicing to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of rejoicing to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. They meditate spreading a heart full of equanimity to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of equanimity to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will.

https://suttacentral.net/an3.65/en/sujato

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Return to “News & Current Events”