Of Concentration Camps and Prisons - Split from "Korean War Over?"

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Grigoris
Global Moderator

Re: Of Concentration Camps and Prisons - Split from "Korean War Over?"

Post by Grigoris » Fri May 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:28 pm
No one's circumstances of birth etc. can be said to be 'their fault', but people have choices in how they deal with their circumstances. Using a model of blame is pointless, but so is removing people's agency.
I agree.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:06 pm
Given their horrific experiences, which I imagine present massive obstacles, how do people receive this?
Quite well actually. It is easy to get people to understand how somebody may act out of ignorance fear or hope, it is something all of us can relate to. Of course I make it clear that this in no way excuses their actions, but when it comes to violence, especially sexual violence, the greatest obstacle to healing is actually the feeling of guilt that the victims have. You have to smash that obstacle straight away, otherwise the person cannot progress at all.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Sat May 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:06 pm
Given their horrific experiences, which I imagine present massive obstacles, how do people receive this?
Quite well actually. It is easy to get people to understand how somebody may act out of ignorance fear or hope, it is something all of us can relate to. Of course I make it clear that this in no way excuses their actions, but when it comes to violence, especially sexual violence, the greatest obstacle to healing is actually the feeling of guilt that the victims have. You have to smash that obstacle straight away, otherwise the person cannot progress at all.
That is encouraging.

May peace prevail and they have time to heal.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Return to “News & Current Events”