Trump's Movement to Unilateralism

The best place for discussion of current events. News about Buddhists and Buddhism is particularly welcome.
Coëmgenu

Re: Trump's Movement to Unilateralism

Post by Coëmgenu » Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:26 pm
Coëmgenu wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm
Queequeg wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm

I think Trump has just hit his stride. No one can hear the shrill media hyperventilating over his latest outrage, and unless Mueller has a doozy in the pocket, Trumpism is probably steam rolling in 2020, and a good chance Democrats are NOT gaining enough seats to take either house of congress in 2018. Trump is going to go in with economic growth, low unemployment, major shakeups in the Middle East and East Asia. People generally vote their wallets, and I do not rule out people going to vote holding their noses and giving Trump a landslide in 2020.

Democrats are about to be humiliated, again.
Maybe this time their strategy wont revolve solely & exclusively around:

"Well, I don't trust him with the nuclear codes."

Sure, Hillary, Trump will literally blow up the world when elected.
At the risk of sounding like a crank... it was worse. It was a coalition of Whole Foods shoppers patting themselves on the back, grandmothers from the League of Women Voters who thought it was their turn to have a president, Act Up all grown up having removed the ear rings and put on corporate casual, people with relatives who might get deported, and black church ladies. And goofy older men who play guitar and tell bad jokes to their kids.
Regardless of whatever else went down, of whatever else bad decisions where made in her campaign, I still think the nuclear codes point was the single most stupid point that was made in the debate. Even dumber than Trump constantly trying to snipe the Clinton Foundation.

The entire election was such a cluster of ridiculousness, that it is nigh impossible to point out any particular "worst element" of it, but I think that that statement of Hillary's was certainly one of them, at the very least.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.
吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः
उत्पन्नाजातुविद्यन्तेभावाःक्वचनकेचन

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm
Even dumber than Trump constantly trying to snipe the Clinton Foundation.
Clinton's ain't got nothin on UNICEF.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.
吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः
उत्पन्नाजातुविद्यन्तेभावाःक्वचनकेचन

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm
Sure, Hillary, Trump will literally blow up the world when elected.
Trump will blow up the world. Obama will enslave white people. None of these crazy things ever happens... 😔 These days it's like, "why vote?" Why didn't the Dems just cast Oprah as a candidate when Trump joined and put Michelle in the supporting role? I just don't understand these people.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 am

I was going to comment, but I have nothing to say that Johnny Dangerously and Ayu didn't already. The former especially has it on the nose, IMO.

Arjan Dirkse

Post by Arjan Dirkse » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Face it Trump is a fascist, and wants to be Dear Leader for life.
He is a fascist in his own special way but for me he's also a symptom of the age...we're living in a time of profound ignorance and alienation and most people subconsciously suspect something is seriously wrong about our civilization. The Trumpians and their equivalents in other countries (look at the populist movements in European countries like Fidesz in Hungary, Cinque Stelle in Italy, the Brexit movement etc.) react by falling back on outdated ideas, populism, isolationism and nativism. It is a fear driven reaction.

We're at the cusp of catastrophic, earth shattering changes and people want to run from it. Our civilization is about to end and who knows what will arise instead of it.

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm

tingdzin wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 am
Johnny Dangerously.
I'm calling him that from now on. :twothumbsup:

Kevin...
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Rick

Post by Rick » Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 pm
Our civilization is about to end and who knows what will arise instead of it.
My money's on:

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Arjan Dirkse

Post by Arjan Dirkse » Thu May 17, 2018 12:38 am

Rick wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 am
Arjan Dirkse wrote:
My money's on:

I could be overly dramatic but I think we're in the perfect storm. With climate change, poisonous oceans, the ruination of the landscape due to neoliberal policies and overpopulation, the US becoming something less than a superpower and China gaining influence, crazy religious extremism, neo fascist movements all over the globe, the dumbing down of our culture, the threat of the development of military AI...there is so much trouble ahead that I don't see how we can continue with the status quo. Radical change must come, and it is probably going to suck. Fasten your seatbelts.

Trump is a tiny part of the equation.

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:38 am
Rick wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 am
Arjan Dirkse wrote:
My money's on:

I could be overly dramatic but I think we're in the perfect storm. With climate change, poisonous oceans, the ruination of the landscape due to neoliberal policies and overpopulation, the US becoming something less than a superpower and China gaining influence, crazy religious extremism, neo fascist movements all over the globe, the dumbing down of our culture, the threat of the development of military AI...there is so much trouble ahead that I don't see how we can continue with the status quo. Radical change must come, and it is probably going to suck. Fasten your seatbelts.

Trump is a tiny part of the equation.
Could be worse. :shrug:

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Not only does trump want to dehumanize people, he wishes to lock up his political opponents.

Kevin...
ངོ་རང་ཐོག་ཏུ་སྤྲད། །
ཐག་གཅིག་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅད། །
གདེང་གྲོལ་ཐོག་ཏུ་བཅའ། །

http://caretoclick.com/clean-the-enviro ... -phone-use

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Fri May 18, 2018 9:15 am

I hope Trump will be stopped soon - such people often stumble upon their own feet. The sooner they fall the less people they can harm.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Virgo wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm
I'm calling him that from now on. :twothumbsup:
Ooops -- but it was a funny movie.

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Like 99% of Americans these days, I choose my news/opinion sources to support my views: liberal, left-leaning, anti-Trump.

I've tried to include non-left-leaning news/opinion sources in my reading list ... but never really found anything/anyone that clicked with me.

Can anyone here recommend some good non-left-leaning sources (bipartisan, centrist, right-leaning) I might check out?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri May 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Rick wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm
Like 99% of Americans these days, I choose my news/opinion sources to support my views: liberal, left-leaning, anti-Trump.

I've tried to include non-left-leaning news/opinion sources in my reading list ... but never really found anything/anyone that clicked with me.

Can anyone here recommend some good non-left-leaning sources (bipartisan, centrist, right-leaning) I might check out?
Wall Street Journal. The opinion page might make you vomit, but otherwise, it is good journalism. The Economist as well, is quite good; European style conservatism, which puts it somewhere between conservative Democrat and moderate Republican.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Rick wrote:

There was this graphic that made the rounds about a year ago.
More or less it seems to get the main points across... we can quibble about details... this was compiled by some random lawyer to argue a point in a facebook debate... or something along those lines.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:21 pm
Rick wrote:

Wall Street Journal. The opinion page might make you vomit, but otherwise, it is good journalism. The Economist as well, is quite good; European style conservatism, which puts it somewhere between conservative Democrat and moderate Republican.
I second these recs. I watch Fox at the gym, in small doses, just to see what's on the radar of the deplorables. I read WSJ on occasion, as well as The Economist, as well. I even dip my toe in Breitbart once in a while, but then my blood pressure goes up and I have to disinfect my toe. I watched InfoWars once, and am still searching for a repellant.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri May 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks, everyone. What's the deal with these guys in terms of their leanings:

New Republic
Guardian
Foreign Policy
BBC
Al Jareeza
The Hill

?

Also, since I love to read opinions ... which editorialists/co-op writers do the best work iyo, all across the board (left to right)?

Fareed Zakaria is my favorite commentator. I love his Sunday tv show, articles, and books. He seems to have the broadest (global) most intelligent view of the opinion-sharers I've run into. And unlike way too many of the MSNBC/CNN hosts, Zakaria seems to actually LISTEN when his guests talk, and to react to what they say ... not to what he decided beforehand his agenda would be. Any other Zakaria type writers out there I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 5:09 pm

conebeckham wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm
I watch Fox at the gym, in small doses, just to see what's on the radar of the deplorables. I read WSJ on occasion, as well as The Economist, as well. I even dip my toe in Breitbart once in a while, but then my blood pressure goes up and I have to disinfect my toe. I watched InfoWars once, and am still searching for a repellant.
I think its actually pretty important, as someone who skews left, to be familiar with the conversations and obsessions at the yellow sources on the right. I try to understand their perspective... understanding requires a little standing in other's places, and the dimensions of those minds makes me feel dirty, sad and claustrophobic... That said, I have comparable feelings when I read things like The Nation or listen to Jill Stein. (Aside, I was considering a school for my son that is on the spectrum out toward Waldorf... there was a lot to like, but the thought of being social with the other parents for the next few years made me feel gross, and it wasn't just the stench of essential oils and the sight of wool socks in birkenstocks). The right does not have a monopoly on paranoia and malice.

Cue the Dead Kennedy's California Uber Alles.
Entered a stupa compound

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri May 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Queequeg wrote:The right does not have a monopoly on paranoia and malice.
I'm confused. Aren't all left-leaners good/smart/peaceful and all right-leaners bad/stupid/violent? That's what my news shows keep telling me ... and how can they be wrong, they're on TV (CABLE TV!) and the INTERNET!

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri May 18, 2018 5:20 pm

New Republic - Left
Guardian - More Left
Foreign Policy - Not sure
BBC - Center Left
Al Jareeza - Center - but depending on issues can skew left or right. I think this reflects the different political landscape of the Middle East. Actually, remarkably good. Its also good as a source of non-West news. On this front, NHK is a center-right source from Japan, with a Japan centric take.
The Hill - Center Left? but kind of suffers from the defects of blog news in that they seem to get ahead of the facts sometimes in reporting.

Fareed Zakaria - milquetoast. Center Left. I throw him in the basket with the rest of the Liberal Internationalists like Tom Friedman who cater to the Davos crowd. He's good at provoking my in-laws but he's not bringing anything hard hitting to the table.

There are a few Sunday morning guys I appreciate. Smerconish on CNN. Howard Kurtz on Fox. These guys report on reporting, so basically they analyze the angles of news coverage over the previous week. NPR has On the Media doing the same thing which I personally like the most for its level of intellect and analysis.
Entered a stupa compound

-Jerry Garcia

Return to “News & Current Events”